Chen Long ( 谌龙 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by robin7, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well done. Congrats.

You know, among the predictions given by some of the greats and past players, eg, Peter Gade, Yang Yang, Zhao Jianhua, Xiong Guobao, Sun Jun, Dong Jiong, Wong Choon Han, Ronald Susilo - not a single one pick Chen Long as the favourite, at most one of the three and rated below Lin Dan and LCW.

In fact, iirc, Dong Jiong is the only who hinted it's possible Chen Long surprised us at the Olympics but advised that he tried not to outdo LD and LCW in achievements but concentrate on improving his game and his time would come.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I watched the replay of the gold medal match after watching it live, a habit of mine.

Apart from the match itself, the most moving scene was Chen Long, during his victory celebration, pointing to his girlfriend, Wang Shixian, blew kisses to her, made the sign of 'I love you', followed by two thumbs up with both hands. In return, WSX, face awash in tears of joy, responded with her thumbs up.

Heartwarming, I almost teared myself. Hope it made up for her heartbreaks at having missed two successive Olympics.

well-son, yf19-sama and kwun like this.
  3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I think Chen Long will not be one of those athletes who will carry on for very long. His game is heavily based on overall fitness and stamina. I doubt he'll be able to change his game style like LD did.

Lee Hyun Il is still doing fine, but not at SS(P) level.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's what I thought too, esp after age 30. But Morten Frost said Chen Long will reign for a long time, not sure of his basis for saying that.

5. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

CL is a complete player and very good at every department of the game. He is also one of the most clever players, being awfully good at switching tactics and rarely doing poor decisions. I'm sure he can adapt when age is catching up.

kwun likes this.
  6. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

But he also gets nervous real quick.

He was so so Dominant yesterday yet allowed the momentum to swing far too much.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Apart from Li Yongbo who is both extremely happy and relieved at Chen Long's Olympic gold, there should be one more person who is mighty pleased with it - Li Ning himself, I believe.

I suggest Li-Ning sign up a private sponsorship contract with Chen Long, with new terms and conditions. Perhaps launch a Chen Long Special Edition.

8. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    Except Li Ning is not a person..

9. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I don't know if this could work out. I mean, Chen Long is using his Li-Ning N55 since years. Somehow LN can not convince their players to switch to newer models, not only Chen Long. Why not at least do some repainted rackets like Yonex does? :p

On a side note, there already is a Chen Long special edition N99 for Rio '16 but he's not using it, just like the N99 itself.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I understand the message of the movie though I haven't finished watching it, only read the synopsis and critical reviews.

What is it you are trying to say here, whether it's Li Ning, the person, or Li-Ning, the corporation ?

Don't you think it's the wrong place to post it here ? It's mainly an indictment of big corporations in North America, capitalism's most important institution.

11. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Coz both WC (incl 2014 WC) and OG were in August, which was the best season for this dragon.... and dormant in all other months.... :D

12. renbo

renbo Regular Member

3-4 years is a "long period" for dominating MS. CL can indeed do it.
    But his quite massive body might makes it hard on his joints, so I'm not sure I can go on after his thirties.

13. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    @ Justin L
    I didn't expected to make a video frame but just putting the link.
    In the other hand it might be good for you to check the whole thing since you still misunderstand the point by thinking the definition apply only to US known names.
    Somewhere in the beginning they bring Mitsubishi for instance.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    base on lack of competition. LD/LCW will be gone next year. and then who's left to challenge CL? VA maybe, but the way CL beat VA in the Rio semi, there is still quite a gap. VA is young, so he will rise up, but it will take a couple more years.

15. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Again i will tell you, Lindan and LCW has only few enemies, where as Chen Long has many. He will lose to any player on his day.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What Chen Long said after the gold medal match (part translation) http://2016.sina.com.cn/china/2016-08-21/doc-ifxvcsrn8792831.shtml :

Post-match, Chen Long who originally said he would answer only one question from the reporters, cheerfully took on all the questions asked, " Indeed, indeed, extremely happy, I myself never thought I could eventually stand on the winner's podium."

In this match, Chen Long was positive and proactive, particularly in the area of attack, reducing Lee CW to passivity. On being able to prevail over Lee CW in two straight sets, Chen Long attributed it to his right mentality, " Really, when it comes to the big match, are tactics and techniques that important ? I don't think so, what's more important is how to get your game going, how to maintain your composure in facing every point, as there's point won, point lost, luck of the net cord for and against you, I feel that keeping the right mentality is more important."

After the prize presentation ceremony, Wang Shixian who specially flew to Rio to cheer for Chen Long, walked over to his side. Chen long placed his gold medal round his girlfriend's neck, WSX held the medal up and looked at it carefully again and again. This gold medal is what she herself equally longed for, having twice consecutively been denied Olympic participation, but at this very moment, we believed WSX's heart is filled with joy because she has indirectly contributed to Chen Long's success, " Of course, she has credit, actually very thankful to her. She arrived on the 11th morning, 5 plus and came straight here to watch my opening match," was how Chen Long responded to Sina Sport's question.

Besides thanking his girlfriend, Chen Long also expressed gratitude to Lee CW and Lin Dan. Talking about Lee CW, Chen Long considered that Lee CW's three Olympic silvers far outweigh one gold medal, " His country, his fans should feel proud of him. Nobody is happy about the loss, but badminton fans can attest to his greatness." Lee CW and Lin Dan's unyielding spirit motivated Chen Long, " The two-setter match lasted over 70 minutes, both sides gave their all, no holding back whatsoever, both wanting to take the gold. Although I won in the end, still I'm grateful to Lee CW. From Lee CW and Lin Dan's hands, we younger players have learnt a lot these years, they never gave up whether in moments of triumph or failure, as always working hard toward their dreams. Today, brother Dan had to play the bronze medal match, actually it's difficult for an athlete , after losing the semifinals one day, to pick himself up the next day in the morning , also the first match, to play for 3rd/4th place, and still make an all-out effort to play. I know what it's like to play for 3rd/4th , the process is unbearable. Many thanks to both of them, thank you !"

" My journey thus far hasn't been plain sailing nor smooth." From rising star to Lin Dan's 'successor'; from world championship one-round trip to twice world champion; from three-time team championship flops to now standing on the summit - Chen Long's path these few years is accompanied by laughter and tears, " I feel the World Championships is once a year, the Olympics is once every four years, how many four years does an athlete's career have, that's why I'm elated to have won gold this time."

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

18. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    He's absolutely right. Trailing most of the time in game 1 going into interval to LCW, he slowly took himself back into the game, leveling and then took command. Almost never looked back as he's leading most of the time in game 2. He played so calm and well to get himself back in the game even when his opponent had a comfortable lead. That's his great mental took control to win him his victory.

19. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

The question which remains, is if he really thinks that way or just knows what the reporter/people want to hear. But the way he acts on court I have little doubt he actually means it, to be honest.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Precisely, if Chen Long really improves on his mentality, he is a worthy successor to Lin Dan.