Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hip rotation

2. visor

visor Regular Member

My bad. Upon further viewing of your video, you are starting from a good side on position already.

What I want you to feel is to turn your hip with more force. Think to yourself each time "hip, hit" as a reminder to lead with the hip.

I'd also suggest for you to remove the hanging shuttle that you're hitting now. It may have served a good purpose as a target when you first started, but I think the target (the way it's swinging irregularly after each hit) is distracting your focus from your form and limiting your swing power.

Hence after removing the target, I want you to add more speed and acceleration into your stroke. Maybe now it's 20%, I want you to gradually add 10% at a time (keeping good form all the while) until a max of around 80%, which you shouldn't exceed without hitting a shuttle on court or else you'll hurt your joints. You may also want to clear more space behind and above you so that you can swing without hindrance.

During your swings, you should judge your racket speed by listening for the pitch as it cuts thru the air. The higher the better. But try to keep it effortless and relaxed... don't power it thru with brute force. Experiment with different angles and timing of elbow extension and wrist pronation and grip tightening. But keep in mind the correct kinetic sequence and whipping effect. Aim for effortless high pitch. Gradually add more acceleration and explosiveness and you'll get there.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

#282 visor, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Mason likes this.
  3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Should I be doing this gradual swing speed increase exercise independent of the hip movement ?

Also I feel like if I’m just doing a standing shot I can snap my hip forward no problem and I can do the hip, swing kinetic chain....

But my issue seems to be when I’m looking to do a scissor jump anytime I try to jump with my right leg and move my hip forward. That movement never seems to provide me with any additional power, in fact I have less power when I try to jump or scissor compared to standing and just shifting my weight.

Basically I get more power from my standing smash or clear than I do with trying to do a one legged jump or scissor jump.

4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Soon think I may have found a huge problem. My force is going backwards when I try to transfer force forward via a one leg jump or scissor jump....

I need to be going forward and my left leg should at least land parallel to my right leg starting point if not land even further forward

Please let me know if you all agree ...??

5. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

See posts from before:
    https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...with-stroke-please.175791/page-9#post-2684613

https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...with-stroke-please.175791/page-9#post-2684638

As others have said before, part of the process of improvement is not just forgetting the things before. You need to make sure you don't relapse on other aspects when you move your focus. Easier said than done, especially since you've got pages of advice.

Make sure you keep revisiting old concepts. Take a read through your old posts to make sure you haven't forgotten some cues .

6. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Good stuff thank you! So it sounds like you agree with my assessment !

7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

So I hit 500 practice swings again today
    Here are some attempts to drive my right hip forward. Let me know if I’m heading in the right direction ?
    Some standing swings and some with a little hit of footwork

carltonpowerblade likes this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Yup. Looking good.

Mason likes this.
  9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok good to hear !

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Yup, looks better.

Now about the standing vs the scissor kick smash, best and easier to learn the scissor kick smash where you have some room to do a 2 step footwork back then smash scissor kick to return to your base forward, then rinse and repeat.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Mason likes this.
  11. Obito

Obito Regular Member

Im not gonna lie. The lastest update, your form is look hell a lot better. When I first adjusted into this power transfering, sometime I forgot and kept hitting with the whole body too because in the back of my head saying that I needed to give all of me into this shot then bam. My form went off the boat. Then I realized and start to focusing on good form. My shot became more powerful than ever.

Keep it up the good work !!!

Mason likes this.
  12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Well I regressed again with my stroke starting position. Even in my practice shots I wasn’t starting correctly. I did however get better weight transfer and move my hips a little better
    Anyways here at my shots. The Good the Bad and the Ugly

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That's why when we change, we need to do routines and practice first. It's no different to any other sport. Every person needs to hit many many shots to gradually imprint the correct muscle memory into the game situation.

One thing that's pretty common across all places is that people would like to just start playing games early on. With that, there's no time to practice.

14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I got in 20 minutes of practice before play, but after checking the video my practice was not the best :(

15. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    There are two types of practice: 1. is just repetitions when you know its right 2. is intentional and deliberate improvement.

If you are doing 1, then you don't need a video camera anyway (but can be useful to identify minor areas for improvement). If you are doing 2, you should ideally review after every 2 or 3 minutes to check the quality of your shots, before continuing with the practice (until you are confident it is good enough for today, then you revert to practice 1). This may not always be feasible, but I will leave you to work out whether there is something you can do to perform quick reviews mid practice.

Good luck!

carltonpowerblade and Mason like this.
  16. khoai

khoai Regular Member

Mason, tips that may be helpful:
    - You are much more stiff in game than in practice.
    - Try to relax/loosen your body as much as you can, especially at the grip as long as the racket does not fly out of your hand.
    - Practice without racket might help since you don't need to tighten your grip or anything and with racket, you should feel similar looseness.
    - On court, try to do shadow footwork with the focus again on body being relaxed, do not force it.
    - Practice your swing in front of the mirror so you can adjust right away.

Jay Ng, speCulatius and Mason like this.
  17. Mason

Mason Regular Member

500 more swings today
    Here are some of them

18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

300 swings today
    I did 10 Smash at the end that were supposed to be smash swings with using more lower body .... not sure they came together properly

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

When you bring your racquet back, your arm and shoulder is too stiff. Contrary to what @visor wrote earlier, I would advise to bring the racquet backwards in a relaxed fashion rather than ‘pull’ backwards.

The other thing is, you need to do these strokes outside of the garage with moving off a static area and then playing the stroke. Otherwise, you have a nice stroke if people hit to you in exactly the right place but once you have to run, your form will go all awkward again.

Mason likes this.
  20. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok thank you for the feedback