What drives us to play badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by chris-ccc, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Liquidsmash

Liquidsmash New Member

I love Badminton because it's simply the fastest sport on Earth. No waiting, it's just pure action all the way through.

You're the one controlling everything, or at least 1/2 of everything (in doubles, that is), and you get to blame yourself if you screw up.

I love the sound of smashing birds, it's just to smooth and sonic-boom like. Especially if it's a hard right-on smash.
    I'm more of a control player, because I've always found that I can't really hit a bird very hard. I've always been one of those not so hard hitting people. I like to do a lot of deceptive shots though^^.

But most of all, Badminton is just plain addicting.

2. hkhung

hkhung Regular Member

Does it mean you do not nylon string or plastic shuttle?

3. eMaAEgs

eMaAEgs Regular Member

One day I suddenly decided to do some racket sports. I wanted to go for tennis in the first place but found it too hard to bare the sunlight...Then it was the ease of finding an air-conditioned badminton court that attracted me -- in HK a badminton court is almost certainly available in 10 minutes' travel on foot or by means of cheap public transportation.

Then it was the 2004 Olympic Games that got me into playing serious badminton. The players moved so stylishly, their shots were just beautiful...they looked to me like dancing on the court!!! @_@
    I wanted to be like them. And from that point I started to spend much more money into buying new equipments and hiring coaches. I was addicted ever since.

4. joonu

joonu Regular Member

executive
    Hi eMaAEgs,
    You took a wise decision
    How much you have improved during the last two years, that is, after watching the Olympic Games. Imitating pros before attaining the basic technics may do some harm. This is not an advice-only a personal opinion.

5. eMaAEgs

eMaAEgs Regular Member

How much did I improve...well, from not knowing anything about badminton, being beaten down to 0-15 by my coach up to losing like 4-15, 5-15 to him now...LOL
    I actually got a coach to teach me proper techniques quite early (before him there was my biology teacher who's a badminton lover..hehe).

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Taking coaching to enjoy Badminton for the rest of your life

Hi eMaAEgs,

It's good that you've gone to get a coach to teach you proper techniques and to acquire the necessary skills to enjoy better the Art of Playing Badminton.

Many players think that Badminton is just power and aggression, but when you know the inner Art of Badminton, you will be able to tame those aggressive players.

For the much money for hiring coaches, don't forget that once you have acquired the skills... they stay with you for the rest of your life.

If you look at it this way...the money spent to learn the skills divided by the number of years you can enjoy Badminton with good skills, that $payment is really insignificant.

Cheers... chris@ccc

7. hkhung

hkhung Regular Member

"those aggressive player?" - remind me of the ones who like to smash from baseline and can't come to the net to get back their shot.

Quote:
    I love the sound of smashing birds, it's just to smooth and sonic-boom like. Especially if it's a hard right-on smash.

Liquismash:

Does it mean you do not like nylon string or plastic shuttle because of the sound/impact/feel when you hit the shuttle?

CHris:

are you aware of this post about the discussion of badminton skill - brain or body (as in physical)?

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37846

True, but only if you write down notes though.

8. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    The smell of a new racket+case,
    The sound of rackets popping when hitting the birdie
    The sight of people dancing through the air and trading birdies
    The feel of the birdie flying off the strings,
    The taste of sweet victory and of bitter agony and defeat...

Drives me to play.

9. siaoching

siaoching Regular Member

I enjoy playing badminton, just because i enjoy with it, it's interesting.

And for me, as long as a guy is good in playing badminton, i'll pay more attention to him.:D :D That's why i feel that many badminton top player are handsome and cool while playing a the court. And i always not concern with badminton match which involve a girl, like woman single and double, even i am a girl.

Actually it's really hard ti describe why, just because i love it, therefore i play it:) :) :) :)

10. K'Dash

K'Dash Regular Member

Hmm, I think it was the athleticness and quickness of Badminton that got me addicted, and I started seven years ago, when I was 8.
    Also, I think it's the skill and tactics in Badminton which always forces me to play when there's an oppotunity to play...

11. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Once again, I forgot something: The attractive ladies...;) ;)

12. hkhung

hkhung Regular Member

You might have to "look" at tennis if you want attractice ladies.

Does badminton have someone as attratice as Kourikova and Sharapova?

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Rebecca Romijn is addicted to Badminton

Hi hkhung,

I thought Rebecca Romijn is attractive.

You missed one of my posts...... that Rebecca Romijn is addicted to Badminton.

Cheers... chris@ccc

====== start article ======

Posted in Daily Shots on October 26, 2006 07:19 PM

Rebecca Romijn Uses badminton To Spice Things Up [​IMG]

Rebecca Romijn and Jerry O'Connell spice up their relationship by playing badminton.

The couple, who have been together since August 2004, say they're addicted to the racquet sport and love to play for hours.

Jerry revealed to People magazine, “I can't believe I'm saying this publicly but we play a lot of badminton."

X-Men star Rebecca added, “We can do it for an entire weekend. We'll play for four hours a day straight."

Jerry also revealed he and Rebecca have become addicted to ballroom dancing.

He confessed, “Rebecca and I are really into the TV show Dancing with the Stars.

We've been taking ballroom dance lessons as a result."

The pair, who are due to tie the knot, have decided to ditch lavish wedding plans for something more low-key.

Jerry explained, “It'll be something very small, with just our siblings. Rebecca has a sister and I have a brother."

Rebecca, 33, recently revealed she is desperate to start a family.

She explained, “I can't wait. It is actually getting to the point where I get tears in my eyes when I see a pregnant woman. Family is a priority for me." ...

====== end article ======

14. hkhung

hkhung Regular Member

What I mean, is an attractive professional badminton player.

Tell u what. If it comes down to badminton or ballroom dancing for Rebecca. I have a feeling dancing would win hands down.

Maybe badminton needs to be made into a much more hip sport like encouraging daunting and shouting (like tennis), modifying the net height (that was suggested in soccer), have giant billboard saying "great shot" (like cricket), encouraging extendede fist fights (from ice hockey).

What do you think?

15. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    Hahahaha I think that you would be lynched anywhere near a court!

16. Oggie

Oggie Regular Member

Bank Employee
    What drives me to play Badmintion? Its a fun sport; its great way to have a sweat; it is also a good way of meeting people, especially girls :); and once you learn playing badminton the proper way, you'll be addicted. by 'addicted' means you can't wait to see if you've improved your game and see the results. but the bottomline is still it is a fun and competitive sport.

#96 Oggie, Nov 21, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Our own Miss CCC 2006 in the V8 Supercar Supergirl Championships

Hi hkhung,

Talking about attractive players...... have you voted for our Miss CCC in [FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]the V8 Supercar Supergirl Championships[/FONT]?

This was posted in our CCC Badminton: General Forum, Post#2.
    Link = http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38230

Cheers... chris@ccc

18. hkhung

hkhung Regular Member

Maybe the secret of marketing badminton is the outfit!

anyone remember the cocktail dress pioneered by Mary Pierce in French Open not so long ago?

19. Baddict_2006

Baddict_2006 Regular Member

Chef
    aside from the extreme cardio from the sport..cant explain the feeling of joy playing with friends and smashing the shuttlecock at the same time hehe!

20. kubuk

kubuk Regular Member

Student
    For me, my first Idol was Wong Choong Hann watching him play back in the 90's. Gets my competitive spirit up, and the girl I like plays badminton too.