What drives us to play badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by chris-ccc, Oct 5, 2006.

1. hkhung

hkhung Regular Member

I watch TV when i go home after badminton.

But i don't watch badminton games.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    So sad that Chan Chong Ming couldn't play in the Japan Open 2006

Greetings,

So sad that Chan Chong Ming couldn't play in the Japan Open 2006.

But the Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong partnership is doing well there.

Here is a report

Cheers... chris@ccc

====== start report ======

Saturday October 14, 2006

Badminton: Our doubles pair steal the thunder
    By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia’s young men’s doubles pair of Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong pulled off the biggest upset of the day at the US$180,000 Japan Open when they stunned two-time All-England champions Jens Eriksen-Martin Lundgaard Hansen of Denmark to march into the semi-finals at the National Yoyogi Gymnasium in Tokyo yesterday.

Top men’s singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei also qualified for semi-finals by beating Boonsak Ponsana of Thailand.

The day, though, belonged to the young Malaysian pair. Kien Keat-Boon Heong, who are competing together only for the second time, fought for 42 minutes before getting the better of the second seeds 21-18, 17-21, 21-14.

Today, Kien Keat-Boon Heong, who are in national chief coach Yap Kim Hock’s big plans for the future – the 2012 London Olympics – will take on Japan’s Shuichi Sakamoto-Shintaro Ikeda in the semi-finals.
    [​IMG] DYNAMIC DUO: Koo Kien Keat (left) and Tan Boon Heong stormed into the semi-finals of the Japan Open when they beat two-time All-England champions Jens Eriksen-Martin Lundgaard Hansen of Denmark 21-18, 17-21, 21-14.

The unheralded Japanese pair upset World Championships runners-up Anthony Clark-Robert Blair of England 21-17, 11-21, 21-19 for a spot in the semi-final.

Despite the big win, the 18-year-old Boon Heong remained cool.
    “It was a good win for us. We played without any pressure and it helped. Besides, the

Danes made a lot of mistakes. This is only my second outing with Koo but this is certainly our best result together,” he said in a telephone interview from Tokyo yesterday.

Boon Heong-Kien Keat were teamed up for the first time during the opening Thomas Cup Finals tie against the US in Japan in May. They outclassed Eric Go-Ronald Sou.

It was, however, the end of the road for another Malaysian pair when Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif-Gan Teik Chai lost 17-21, 11-21 to top seeds and reigning world champions Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng of China.

In the men’s singles, Chong Wei was the last man standing after Mohd Hafiz Hashim crashed out 19-21, 14-21 despite putting up a gritty fight against world champion Lin Dan of China.

A fired up Chong Wei continued his winning streak against Boonsak with a 21-18, 21-14 win to set up a mouth-watering clash against Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia. Yesterday, Taufik crushed Singapore’s Ronald Susilo 21-15, 21-11.

The other semi-final will be another exciting match between world number one Lin Dan and Peter Gade-Christensen of Denmark.

Chong Wei, who is hoping to lift the gloom in the national camp after his defeat in the quarter-finals at the World Championships in Madrid, has vowed to give his best.

“I am glad that I have beaten Boonsak for the fifth time now. It will not be easy against Taufik. Like me, he did not have a good outing at the world meet but here he looks very motivated,” he said. “But I will give it my best shot.”

Both have played each other three times with the crafty Taufik holding a 2-1 record. Chong Wei’s only win over the Indonesian was at the 2005 Malaysian Open.

Men’s singles: Lin Dan (Chn) bt Mohd Hafiz Hashim (Mas) 21-19, 21-14; Peter Gade-Christensen (Den) bt Chen Hong (Chn) 21-14, 21-17; Taufik Hidayat (Ina) bt Ronald Susilo (Sin) 21-15, 21-11; Lee Chong Wei (Mas) bt Boonsak Ponsana (Tha) 21-18, 21-14.

Men’s doubles: Fu Haifeng-Cai Yun (Chn) bt Gan Teik Chai-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif (Mas) 21-17, 21-11; Tony Gunawan-Candra Wijaya (US-Ina) bt Tadashi Ohtsuka-Keita Masuda (Jpn) 21-16, 21-12; Shuichi Sakamoto-Shintaro Ikeda (Jpn) bt Anthony Clark-Robert Blair (Eng) 21-17, 11-21, 21-19; Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong (Mas) bt Jens Eriksen-Martin Lundgaard Hansen (Den) 21-18, 17-21, 21-14.

Women’s singles: Zhang Ning (Chn) bt Jiang Yanjiao (Chn) 21-16, 16-21, 21-18; Zhu Lin (Chn) bt Pi Hongyan (Fra) 25-23, 21-19; Wang Chen (Hkg) bt Lu Lan 21-13, 18-21, 21-11; Xie Xingfang (Chn) bt Mori Kaori (Jpn) 19-21, 21-7, 21-14.

Women’s doubles: Gao Ling-Huang Sui (Chn) bt Chien Yu-chin-Cheng Wen-hsing (Tpe) 21-11, 22-20; Du Jing-Yu Yang (Chn) bt Lee Kyung-won-Jung Young-kyung (Kor) 21-16, 19-21, 21-13; Wei Yili-Zhang Yawen (Chn) bt T. Saralee-C. Sathinee (Tha) 21-18, 21-9.

Mixed doubles: Nova Widianto-Lilyana Natsir (Ina) bt Zheng Bo-Yu Yang (Chn) 15-21, 21-14, 21-18; Xie Zhongbo-Zhang Yawen (Chn) bt Hwang Ji-man-Ha Jung-eun (Kor) 21-18, 21-18; Sudket Prapakamol-T. Saralee (Tha) bt Jens Eriksen-Lena Frier Kristiansen (Den) 21-14, 21-13; Flandi Limpele-Vita Marissa (Ina) bt Zhang Jun-Gao Ling (Chn) 21-19, 21-19.

====== end report ======

3. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    i watch badminton games (dvds) all the time :D :p :D ...hehe

4. z3048018

z3048018 Regular Member

likewise, and seeing Baderz Jas all the time at the AE :D

5. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    hehe :D you might see me at AE07 in march too :D hehe

6. hkhung

hkhung Regular Member

This might start a new thread. Talking to a girl who tried badminton once and she gave me a lot of reasons what drive her away from badminton

- it does not give much time for interacting with friends, for example in soccer you yell at people. Then again Chris would tell us to yell "square" whenever we do a clear

- The team is too "small" in badminton. A team of more people is preferred for example soccer with 11 people. team of 2 in badminton is too small.

- also she said that badminton require more skill and soccer is much easier to pick up

Any ideas of "comeback" statement to her rationale?

Any more ideas?

7. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    It does not give much time for interacting with friends, for example in soccer you yell at people. Then again Chris would tell us to yell "square" whenever we do a clear

So you don't speak but it builds trust in doubles. You have to know where your partner will be even if you don't speak. Some would say this is true in any team sport, but I beleive in doubles teams it is much more intimate.

- The team is too "small" in badminton. A team of more people is preferred for example soccer with 11 people. team of 2 in badminton is too small.

In a travelling team we normally have 4 boys and 4 girls at least. We often have members playing doubles and mixed doubles and singles, so....

- also she said that badminton require more skill and soccer is much easier to pick up

It is always soccer....that is true though.

8. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    1. The interaction time with friends is still their, especially when playing doubles at a recreational level. When you are rallying, in between sets, I've even seen people talking while playing. Also you have to take account the time that you spend not playing; during these times periods I usually socialize a lot. Talking isn't the only way to socialize either, by playing aginast and with people you are already socializing through movment and intent.

2. Teams for badminton from what I've seen tend to be fairly big. It's because you in a standard school structure you have 1, 2, 3 for each group. This totals to 3(MS) + 6(MD) + 3(MX) = 12 * 2 (for the oppisite ***) = 24 players. This is counting only varsity level, there still remains a JV level (note: this is based on the american high school/college system). Outside of structured play, you often run into the same people. Teams may be small, but when you run into 5 other teams everytime you go out to play, it doesn't matter if they are in pairs.

3. Badminton doesn't require more skill per say, it just requires a new set of skills. Most people kick a ball in their childhood before they ever hit a birdie, therfore the skills to run and kick a ball are easier to pick up and socialize to then say the overhead motion for hitting a birdie in badminton. The dynamics of the game are also weird because there are very few comparisons that can be made to childhood games or common motions, such as soccer and kicking that rock/can as a child.

3.1 Another issue that might arise with the ease of picking up badminton is the cost of equipment. We have probably all played with a cheap 20$ racket and we all know how frustrating that can be, especially with crapo 18 pound fishing wire strings. The cost of playing badminton is very high which I think is a huge roadblock for many would be players in the teenage category.

This is my over over over simplified attempt at explaining.

9. Russki Bear

IT
    You know I have been told that at early stages we should be teaching basic net spin shots and other 'simple' strokes instead of overheads which are rather complex? Besides, net rolls are more fun ;)

I have tried doing it this way and it works very well with our juniors.

10. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Thats a very interesting point, I learned the overhead stroke quite early and now basically have trouble with net play. I wonder if anybody has done any research on the most "efficent" order to teach badminton in.

11. Russki Bear

IT
    Yes they have. NTBA just sent me to a coaching class thingy with Kenneth Larsen, and he says so :)

He knows his stuff and I beleive now that he is right. I used to start with overheads but imagine a kid having to learn that and not being able to hit a shuttle over.....BORING

12. z3048018

z3048018 Regular Member

probably will....will be buying the dvd

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Yelling/Cheering/Screaming for her Teammates

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Hi hkhung, [/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Yes, in a way she is correct. It will depend on what situation she is in. [/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif](1) Playing Singles in a social/competitive match for herself... she is all alone. It is her own individual performance. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif](2) Playing Doubles... she has only 1 partner. Here, her contribution is required to support her partner and her partner has to support her as well. But still, only 2 persons in a Doubles Partnership. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif](3) Playing in a team is a different matter. She should now feel that she has to perform well not just for herself, but for her whole team. She should feel a different kind of pressure/pleasure to perform well. And here, she should feel there is more interaction with her teammates. Her goal now is to help her whole team to win. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]And when she plays in a team, she would be yelling/cheering/screaming for her teammates. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Cheers... chris@ccc[/FONT]

14. morewood

morewood Regular Member

- it does not give much time for interacting with friends, for example in soccer you yell at people. Then again Chris would tell us to yell "square" whenever we do a clear

This depends at what level your playing, in competition I would agree, but social (keep fit) badminton you would be lucky to play for more than half an hour without being sidelined in most clubs (time to talk then).

Again this is down to the level your playing at in our club we have 15 people who turn up fairly regularly and perhaps twice as many who come occasionally.

Tell that to the England Football manager. Within four hours I reckon a true novice can be taught the basics of the game and can be useful on court with a wide range of shots (obviously dependent on there physical fitness and willingness to learn). Within 3-6 months a good beginner would often be an asset in a game of doubles.

15. hkhung

hkhung Regular Member

First of all, thanks for all the input for my post!

To Chris:

That's probably why so few women play women single in comp. Last melbourne U only had 5 women for D single.

I guess she forgotten that u need to be at a certain level to join a team for comp, then again a friend of Merisa play at the lowest section tournament at Kilsthe.

To Dummey:

Unfortunately that's the only "socaliazing" aspect she see especially since she cannot come for supper all the time (Chris, u know this one).
    Then again, she does not like commitment. Funny thing came up when i go around and approach people for playing tournament. Most of the people only know of a season instead of one day comp. And many people are put off for the length of a season anyway.

Absolutely true. Also i honestly think that for soccer and basketball you can be useful as a defender without that much skill. On the other hand, badminton takes require a lot more work before you can get somewhere.

At the end of the day, I guess it comes down to what she already is good at (in this case soccer) versus how much excercise you want - which is another reason why some people could not cope with badminton single or indoor soccer versus the amount of work you want to put in (how serious you are with your sport).
    [FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif] [/FONT]

16. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    no no, its just that if he does it and its a NS9000 wouldnt it be great

17. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    you can tell her you will teach her even if it requires skill
    you can tell her that when she knows how to play well its really fun
    you can tell her that when you improve you get a great sense of achievement
    you can tell her that badminton teams are very big just that they only dish out 1/2 players for a game

18. hkhung

hkhung Regular Member

Good strategy, my friend!

That's why i been around different clubs so i can get to know more women!

19. fifteen luv

fifteen luv Regular Member

Because before our SEAsian countries like Malaysia and Indonesia sue to produce great players like Dato Punch Gunalan, Ng Boon Bee, Tan Aik Huang etc etc Rudy Hartono Etc etc.etc. But know it seem to be dominated by China only.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

To get to know women in NETBALL

Hi hkhung,

In Melbourne, Australia, if you want to get to know women... NETBALL is the Sport to participate in :):):).

Cheers... chris@ccc