What drives us to play badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by chris-ccc, Oct 5, 2006.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Jet Li says Badminton is good for him

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Greetings, [/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Jet Li plays Badminton. [/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]He says ”It helps you keep your balance and energy without hurting yourself”[/FONT].

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Below is a report. [/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Cheers... chris@ccc [/FONT]

====== start report ======

If we told you Jet Li's workout regimen included badminton, would you believe it?

September 24, 2006

There is an ancient saying about action actor Jet Li: You can break his bones and bruise his skin -- just don't touch his hair if you don't want a swift kick to some nether region.

"That's actually only a little bit true," Li says. "Years ago, I made a joke when I was doing the movie 'The One.' There was an old lady in the movie who was always trying to touch my hair. I joked with her, 'Everyone can beat me up. Just don't touch my hair.'"

Warning taken. "Oh, in my real life, I don't really care," Li says. "I'm a very easygoing person."

He's also a determined one in the new film "Fearless." He plays real-life martial arts legend Huo Yuanjia, son of a great fighter who didn't want his boy to follow in his footsteps. But to defend himself, the young man grows up to be a master fighter. Eventually through the death of his fight master and after some soul searching, he learns that it's about sportsmanship and not just kicking and kung fu-ing your nemesis to death. So much for street justice.

1. Tell us about "Fearless."

It's quite different from my other movies and it's my most personal work. That's why I say I want to do this movie. This character looks at life the same way that I do. We both know that life is a journey and it's really about using martial arts in the right way. It's not physically beating someone up. You have to mentally control yourself and then you win.

2. Do you ever wake up like the rest of us and say these words: "Oh my aching bones?"

I love when people at 50 say I'm better than a teenager. That's a big liar for you! Liar! Liar! Liar! Everyone gets old and, of course, you need more energy to do something. I have had a lot of injuries in the past, and they can act up. When I do too much, my muscles do bother me. I do wake up and go, "Oh, Jet, you're hurting." I hope that no one gets a shot of me and puts it on the Internet on those days. I know the headline will be: Action Actor Can Hardly Walk. But when the camera is turned on I do my best. Or at least I try. That's the fighting spirit in me. Age will never diminish that spirit.

3. What is your workout routine?

I'm not a treadmill type of person. I do work to have energy. I do physical martial arts moves in my gym. On many days, I just play badminton and ride bicycles. Oh, I'm an OK badminton player. It's good exercise. You find a partner and it helps you keep your balance and energy without hurting yourself.

4. Any truth to the rumor that you and Jackie Chan can't stand each other?

The Internet is always trying to make it seem like Jackie and I are angry at each other. I read that we yell at each other. It's not true at all. We're not only friends, but we're going to work together next year. We're going to make a Hollywood movie which we'll shoot in China next year. We've been talking about doing this for years. So much for this big feud between us. I guess it's better to read that something is wrong. It keeps the talk going and the fans go crazy. I hope I don't disappoint anyone reading the truth now.

5. You've credited meditation as the secret of your success. Explain.

I believe in many things. First, I'm a Buddhist. I believe in karma. I'm Chinese and I came to America 32 years ago. There are a billion people in China. Why is this one little boy named Jet coming to America? Answer: it's my karma to be with the American people. Later, I feel shame because I can't speak English. It took two years to learn it by heart. Even if my English is poor, I use my heart to try. Because I'm just following my karma. As for meditation, we all need a way to retreat. There is too much information in your head. Your head is like a recorder. Meditate as a way to wash it out and clear your mind. Try it.

Cindy Pearlman, Chicago Sun-Times

====== end report =====

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

because there's nothing like hitting reverse around the head cross-drop...fooling the other three people on court those are the moments to live for...:p

Or doing the jump-in-between-lift-intercept from the T-joint, and then look at everybody's faces like "how the...." then lookign back to see your partner is still in his backcorner looking like "Where'd the shuttle go?" :D

on a more serious note: I wouldn't know hów to live without badminton...and the mroe I play, the more I wánt to play...

#22 jerby, Oct 8, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  3. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    As far as I've read.. most of us talk about being the better player.

What about those of us who are the ones getting thrashed all the time?

Well for me I must admit I too don't get thrashed all the time.. only against state players. Lol.

Yes, there is a thrill to winning, against sore losers, good players etc. But have we ever considered those who we constantly beat? Maybe in the competitive world(where badminton is your life, not for fun).. but I know that many BFers are ordinary people with an extraordinary passion for badminton. Goodness, that sounds so... deep. :p

Anyway, yes, as I was saying(typing).. how do those we beat all the time feel? It ain't much fun.. if it was a close game, you feel like you should have won.. if you got thrashed.. you'd feel disappointed.

I'm going off-topic. =D Well, what drives us to play badminton? I've absolutely no idea. All I know is that if I can't play badminton when I've the craving to.. I'd moan and groan around the house..

Maybe.. just the plain adrenaline rush you get when you hold the racquet, see the shuttlecock, step onto the court?

*Shrugs* I don't know what drives me. It's just there.

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I think you got a misconception about the desire to be a 'better' player. All of us, from the best pros down to the beginners, will experience our fair shares of defeat before we ever savour the taste of victory. No, getting beaten all the time is not fun, but what really matters is what we learn from our experience. If we learn nothing from our mistakes, we will be doomed to repeat them:p. Personally, I would rather play an intense game that pushes all my limits (win or lose) than win an easy game. I have lost many times, one more loss won't have mattered much anyway.

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I disagree:
    Most players here talk about enjoying their own game. and having fun playing. watching yourself grow an flourish, to surprise yourself by doing shots you never knew you could...winning/losing matters, of course, but it's not whý we love the game...

winning/losing was never mentioned, except by yy_ling;)
    wich is OK as he won an ns9k:p

6. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

Attack, deception, nuance, pace, rhythm...sure, these are some of the elements of Badminton, but they are also important elements of music, particularly Classical music.
    I once heard a coach use the phrase "The Art of Badminton", and just as a musician strives for perfection when performing a piece of music, Badminton players too, I believe, constantly search for what the violinist Yehudi Menuhin called "effortless perfection". For many of us, I'm sure, this is what fuels the passion and makes us train.

Smautf

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    badminton takes your mind off the homework;)

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Joanne thinks about those not winning

Hi Joanne,

You are considerate... thinking about those who are getting beaten/losing often.

Cheers... chris@ccc

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23540&highlight=jet+li:D

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

11. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

I was thinking of this scenario actually: 2 players start off as beginners, one improves by leaps and bounds while the other improves very slowly. I wouldn't want to be the one constantly getting thrashed, right? Sooner or later, unless that person has some spirit made of steel or something, he'd drop out. Won't he? I don't know, that's my opinion.

I formed this opinion during the interschool competition. I really really really pity the players who get knock out in the early rounds. They have no footwork, and have no idea how to even serve properly. Some don't even know the rules! I'm not that good a player, but at least I know some strokes.. so when I play against them.. ooh I really pity them.

Think I'm too soft-hearted.

Shall I be honest? Homework takes my mind off badminton. :eek:

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    In between badminton and burgers for the "survival solution", I think burger is a "must" solution, but badminton is a "preferred" solution. ;)

13. hkhung

hkhung Regular Member

I simply loved badminton since it give me the feeling of the blood rush through my head while i chase a shot. I also loved sweat wicking from your arms. I used to do my uni essay till 2am after my badminton finishing at 11:30pm.

I also loved the feeling of out-running people in singles match. To be honest, i am starting to like winning rally by a good shot. Then again, that is precede by getting into the position for executing a good shot.

I really really loved the feeling of going to social games in summer, after playing a few single, people say the words "NO MORE SINGLES!". Made me laugh.

Also it gives you a valid reason for going to the gym.

Also love to do those "air shots" eventhough your opponent hit the shuttle to the net. You know when someone do a drop shot but shuttle did not come through you still do the bouncing action with your foot lunging forward.

Don't know how much my opponents would like this "aggresive" action though.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Badminton can release your C9H13NO3 (epinephrine/adrenaline)

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Hi hkhung, [/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Yes, Badminton can release your C9H13NO3 (epinephrine/adrenaline). [/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]If you cannot sleep after a session of Badminton... then you must have yourhormone secreted by your adrenal medulla... that is released into the bloodstream in response to physical or mental stress, as from fear or injury.” as stated by [/FONT][FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Wikipedia[/FONT][FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif].

“It initiates many bodily responses, including the stimulation of heart action and an increase in blood pressure, metabolic rate, and blood glucose concentration.”

Perhaps... LisaC or LilyC can explain it to you in layman's terms.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Cheers... chris@ccc[/FONT]

#34 chris-ccc, Oct 9, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  15. hkhung

hkhung Regular Member

What's layman's terms?

16. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

In words you and I can understand. :)

Well, if you remember your science(not sure how old you are), our adrenal glands secrete adrenaline hormones that quickens our heart rate, metabolic rate etc.

Imagine a dog chasing you. Your body automatically gears up for action(running) and its your adrenal glands that are responsible for your quickened heart rate and sudden energy to run run run! :p

The same applies for badminton.. during badminton we stimulate our adrenal glands(due to excitement, not fear I'm guessing hehe..) and after that, you probably can't sleep due to the excessive adrenal hormones in your body.

I think so anyway. Lol. No wonder I did poorly for Science. :D

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Adrenaline will keep you awake

Hi Joanne,

You have provided a good explanation.

The adrenaline is definitely the cause for hkhung's inability to go to sleep after a session of Badminton.

And it shows that hkhung finds great excitements when playing Badminton, as he has stated it in his post.

Cheers... chris@ccc

18. hkhung

hkhung Regular Member

Now i know what's a layman's terms.

Anyway, fast ducking in the sense that someone would hit the back of your head might be due to fear as some of my teammates have found out.

That's the understatement of the year!

19. hkhung

hkhung Regular Member

As Chris would tell you on a friday nite badminton session finished at 11:30. If i do well, that usually happen in single, I used to go home and do my uni essay and go to bed wait past 2am.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

A glass of red wine will help me to go to sleep

Hi hkhung,

A glass of red wine will help me to go to sleep. It relaxes me.

Cheers... chris@ccc