Best book on badminton techniques

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by vip_m, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Sze Huang

Sze Huang Regular Member

Unemployed
    Wow

All I can say about this book is wow! It's awesomely detailed and open my eyes wide of proper badminton knowledge. Clear step-by-step instructions with pictures clear enough to understand visually which are compact is the bomb. :D

You guys should really get this book if you wanna take a step further in badminton.

2. cklee

cklee Regular Member

Entrepreneur
    Badminton Book -ABT

Hi Ants,

I'm keen to get a copy. I'm from KL but based in S'pore. Will be there for the WC in Aug. Pls help me get a copy. Will settle with you whichever way you prefer. Thank you sir.:D:D

3. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    Just wanted to let you know

I just want to let you know that the Print version of the book doesn't have all the additional articles Butch and I were able to add after the book was printed. We'll try to put in all these in the next edition of the book, but for now, only the eBook + addons, has the additional articles.

4. iamSudd3n

iamSudd3n Regular Member

Manger
    Is there any other way of purchasing this ebook via store coz i'm in manila too? do we have a discount for pinoys or are we gonna pay in dollar or pesos? What branch of National bookstore have a copy? r u coaching or training players and where and how much?

5. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    answers

Coach Butch Oreta coaches, I'm only a writer. You can contact him to arrange for training by sending me a private message and I'll send you his cell#. The ebook is meant for out-of-the-philippines buyers. For Phil-buyers, they can buy the book at powebooks, national bookstore, etc.

6. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Which bookstore can you buy it at?
    Name? Checked borders, and barnes and noble. None.

7. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    Print version only available in the Philippines

The print-version currently is only available in the Philippines. Only the eBook version is available for foreign purchase at...

http://instructoons.com/book/

Eventually I plant to make a print-on-demand version (which will include all the additions that are included in the ebook) at Lulu.com though.

8. gumbi001

gumbi001 Regular Member

student
    just got it

Hello vip_m,

Just ordered your ebook through xoom. looking forward to getting it!

9. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    thanks

Hope you gain great strides in your game just as others have.

10. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    great book

The book is great!
    I'm not done reading it yet but I did not find the part on the high forehand serve... Did I just miss it or it's not part of the book?

11. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    Forehand high serve

Butch and I emphasized the techniques for doubles which is what most people play and the backhand serve is the recommended serve because of the serving rules we mentioned (page 34).

The motion for doing the high forehand serve is virtually similar to doing an underhand stroke though which is demonstrated in page 163 of the main book. You just drop the shuttle an arm's length in front of you and do the underhand stroke, adjusting the angle of your racket head to control the height of your serve. You use the 'pushing range' technique mentioned in the book to give it power enough to reach deep into the opponent's court.

Hmm, maybe I'll add this explanation for those interested in the high forehand serve.

12. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    that would be greatly appreciated.
    I know its similar...but at the same time, it's different.
    I think that the lower body is used in a different way for both (you don't do a forward lunge for a high serve) and there are other differences so it would be good to have a section on the book about that :)

13. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    Taufik uses backhand serve

Actually, Taufik Hidayat, one of the best players ever, uses the backhand serve to great effect rather than employing the forehand serve. By using the backhand serve, whether in singles or doubles, you gain deception, consistency (since you avoid service faults caused by the rules which favor the backhand serve over the forehand serve), and flexibility (low and high serve are available to you easily).

The keys to hitting a good, deep, high serve using the backhand as shown in the book is: the 'pushing range', the 'twisting wrist' motion, and your weight on front foot--in the book, you'll see Butch's back foot on semi-tiptoe so his weight is leaning forward. This forward lean added to the pushing range and twisting wrist give you the power to send the serve deep.

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

...is not to use the backhand. For a high serve, you need a forehand action.

For a flick serve (goes upwards, but not nearly as much), you can use either action.

15. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

I haven't read this book, nor do I serve backhand in singles.

However, a high backhand serve (rather than what you call a flick serve) is easy. Higher than a forehand serve? Maybe not, but high enough nonetheless. If you have reasonable technique, then either backhand or forehand is fine.

Wayne Young

16. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

Depends on how good you are with bh flick in singles.
    Maybe you want to show low short serve and then flick a fast, lower, not so far hitten Serve, for example if the opponent is likely to hit a weak smash to you which is easy cross-blocked by you.
    In general is easier to use forehand long serve.

17. VetChamp

VetChamp Regular Member

Books???
    This really astounds me. Why would anyone want to refer to a book to play badminton?
    Watch, learn and play as often as possible is a far better recourse, not only in badminton but for all sports.

18. yasir

yasir Regular Member

transport compney
    i want traning video cd

19. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    The professional players use backhand serves because they use mainly short services, even in singles. This is because their opponents are professionals as well and they respond to high, deep services with powerful jumpsmashes. But at our level, it is really hard to have such a good reply to good high, deep services because we are not able to smash as hard as a professional player.

So using the high service is not a good choice if you play against a professional player but it may be a good choice against most of the other players though.

As for using the backhand for the high , deep serves... I have never seen anyone do that (exept for flick serves, of course). You cannot send the shuttle as high and deep with the backhand serve because you do not have the same pushing range to hit the stroke.

20. jerby

jerby Regular Member

because it's cheaper than paying Butch's flighttickets to their country?:p

Really, those of us lucky enough to have enough courttime and a good coach shouldn't take it for granted...