2009 Dutch Badminton Open (GP Gold)

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2009' started by chris-ccc, Oct 13, 2009.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Other Chris coming through with the links as always [​IMG]. The badzine link is especially usefull (http://www.badzine.info/index.php?o...02:mark-p&catid=16:playersspotlight&Itemid=56). I'm not exactly sure why she chose Poland but reading the article I guess it's the closest to home. I think she left the belarussian team/federation because they messed up her entry more than once, failing to submit the paperwork in time to compete in certain tournaments. I think one was the German Open in 200x (8?) where she already arrived at the tournament only to find out her federation hadn't sent in the paperwork. Perhaps there was some waiting period after the switch before she could compete again, perhaps coupled with an injury, dropping her ranking so much she even has to qualify for regular GP tournaments (Dutch Open 2009 qualify, 2008 seeded 5th).

Well, money was getting tight I heard so they really didn't have much choice. Especially in a time when sponsors are hard to come by. They seem to be pleased so whatever they used to get was either even less or something similar. €500.000 a year + free equipment(?) for all teams ...

Just now reading the website of the brother of the federation's president: turns out there are 39 players who are not sponsored by Yonex counting the ones in the youth team, that will be more or less forced to switch or pay their own cost (entry fees, travel etc.). To be continued ... :D.

#41 demolidor, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009