A tidbit on hybrid stringing...

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Charlie-SWUK, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

Also worth noting that, from my experience, yonex strings are more like 10.5m... dont know about Li-Ning.

2. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    A Li Ning No.1 packet was able to do 2 set of mains (1 on a non compact head) with ease and some string left so I reckon it's the same thing for them as well.

3. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    80p mains Aerosonic crosses. I haven't played with it enough to comment properly on it but right off the bat, way better than Aerobite. Stringbed is actually rather crisp and feels amazing.

WhatsApp Image 2017-11-12 at 4.18.07 AM.jpeg

e78 packet arrived. Ashaway giving JP coded strings a run for their money as far as packaging is concerned. Funny since the ones here come in just a plastic reusable sealed packet which makes it look like a 1$ string. Oh and that Pro 66. I thought BG80 was textured and felt like a rope but wait till you see and feel this thing. 80 feels like a slippery string compared to this. I haven't seen and felt texture like this ever so I'm very excited to test it.

WhatsApp Image 2017-11-12 at 3.36.03 AM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2017-11-12 at 3.36.04 AM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2017-11-12 at 3.36.03 AM (1).jpeg

4. Okaharu

Okaharu Regular Member

Hi everyone! Seems like my aerobite will break anytime soon as the mains are all frayed... crosses look new though haha

I plan on trying out BG66UM JP next for my thin gauge adventure. Would you recommend going 66U by itself first or as a hybrid with BG80P?
    Can choose from a supply of LN1, BG80, BG80P, BG98. Any interesting hybrids that may work from this array?
    Seen BG80/LN1 and BG80/66UM being recommended but am willing to try out new things!
    Tension suggestions would be great too, Aerobite played well with me at 25/27

Some things about me:
    Gonna be strung on ARC11 3U
    Mainly play doubles - love playing tumbling net shots
    Enjoy smashing but partner has a stronger smash so usually leave him to it (he uses ZSpeed with some club exclusive 0.66 string at 26lbs)
    Aerobite is listed as a control string, so maybe a string/tension combo that is a tad more on the repulsive spectrum?

5. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    80p Mains i've personally found are better than anything else I've tried as mains. They seem to complement everything like for example the 80p and Aerosonic combo I'm running atm is extremely lively but still quite civilized. Seriously good control, good spin on netshots and brilliant sound. 66um is very good but you should be ready to change it often given it goes weirdly soft in around 8-10 days.

I'm all praise for 80p with Aerosonic. Perhaps you ought to try that since that'll be a .65 averaged out. A packet of 80p and AS will do two stringjobs for example. Not quite the power of pure 80p / 98jp or 66 but very nice touch which I assume is what you're looking for.

Okaharu likes this.
  6. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    I've dabbled in hybrid stringing and currently my main racket uses:

BG80 on mains and BG65Ti on crosses, strung to 28lbs

I like that combination for me and it gives me a good balance for my game. Other combinations I've tried are:

BG80/ZM69 Fire - Felt too dull and combination just didn't sit right for my game.
    BG80/ZM67 Fire - A bit better than above but still not what I wanted.
    NBG98/BG68Ti - A decent combination, Got great control and decent power, just felt the durability was lacking, the NBG broke too quickly for my liking.

Hence why the above I settled on. I tried other combinations but cannot remember right now.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.

swsh likes this.
  7. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Currently really enjoying BG80 / lining no1 at 26/27 and 26/28. The 28 was a bit much the first few hours, though.
    Still have more 62Fire (as cross for BG80) and a set of Aerobite to try out.

8. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    I tried the BG80/LN1 but found that it felt a bit mushy. After that broke, restrung with just BG80 and the crispness is just on another level. I think I'll stick to BG80 for the time being, can't seem to find anything with the same feeling.

9. Okaharu

Okaharu Regular Member

Well my strings did finally break nearing the end of the 4 hr session tonight and I had to switch back to the VT70 and man do I realise I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to medium flex racquets... but I digress...

Silly me only then just realised that the packet of strings in my bag all this time were actually BG66F...
    I have no idea why this would be as I remember reading reviews on this string and they were pretty much a mixed bag with the overarching idea that it was probably better to just go with BG66UM :confused:

Anyway... I ended up saying shove it and asked my stringer to do a hybrid BG80P/BG66F at 25/27
    Hopefully the 80p helps and I'll just pray that JP versions are indeed different...

10. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Feeling? Gosen r4x110.

11. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Reporting back as I was curious myself. BG AS and 80p at 29 x 31 are going strong after 8-9 days. Kind of surprised myself.

12. Okaharu

Okaharu Regular Member

Got to try out the BG80P/BG66F hybrid today for 2hrs of serious games
    I'll get this out of the way first, I'll pick Aerobite over it in the skip of a heartbeat

Maybe I just haven't played with a hard feeling string in so long (over a year) but I didn't really enjoy feeling all the vibrations and string-snapping-like sounds from shots that miss the sweet spot. Shoulder also felt rather fatigued than usual.

One problem I consistently faced was the tight spinning net returns. It's much less forgiving than Aerobite and I had not made this many errors in a long time... shuttle just bounces off the strings and straight onto the ground :(

The part where this hybrid shines is the backcourt. Smashes were on another level. Steep, Fast, Powerful you name it, beats Aerobite in everything. Had plenty of very tight drop shot winners that I've never managed to pull off with Aerobite too.

tl;dr
    Aerobite outshines BG80P/BG66F in the front court
    BG80P/BG66F outshines Aerobite in the back court
    Seems like BG80P/BG66F doesn't react well to shots with less back swing
    BG80P/BG66F definitely brings out more power than Aerobite but in return, loses the finer touches

The quest continues...

Side note, stringer actually ended up doing BG80P/BG66F at 26/27. Not sure if this might be the problem since I've read it was recommended that you do +2lbs on the cross

Also I'm not sure why, but BG66F actually looks about the same thickness as BG80P if not thicker...

#92 Okaharu, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  13. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I’ve never actually used 66f. From what I read it has weird vibration dampening tech so it may not have been a good combo with the very lively 80p.

You ought to use just 66um on it’s own. 66um jp is one of my favourites. If only it didn’t cost an arm and a leg..

Okaharu likes this.
  14. Okaharu

Okaharu Regular Member

That is definitely on the next-string-to-try list! Considering how much I liked Aerobite, I'm very keen on trying Aerosonic on its own too!

You keep saying it's so expensive. Now I really want to know how much it actually costs you??

15. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Don’t bother with aerosonic at lower than 29 ish lbs. 66um will serve you better.

It’d cost me around 2760 Yen final cost (after stringing). SP would be 1130 Yen after stringing if I cop the packets from e78. I can easily afford it but right now it’s not on my priority list. Next month maybe to try.

16. Okaharu

Okaharu Regular Member

Rightio, thanks for the heads up! I've been reading lots of positive reviews about G-TONE 5 have you had any experience with it?

Woaowwowow I understand why you say it costs you an arm and a leg now! 'Premium' Yonex strings (Aerobite, 66, etc) only costs me ~1200yen whereas the other regular strings such as BG80 cost around ~1000yen. Japan often has warehouse discounts and along with membership discounts it can see quite a saving.

I guess most of the added costs come from the shipping... I suddenly feel very blessed :p

17. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    If you find vibrations an issue with 80p I doubt you won't see it as an issue with GT5. That is one hard string and vibrates quite a lot. For me at 31 it was sending out vibrations a lot more than 80 but it was out of the recommended tension range I guess.

It does mostly come from shipping. When I move there, this will probably be the biggest money saver since I'm addicted to JP strings.

Okaharu likes this.
  18. TomW

TomW New Member

Have anyone try 80 mains with 98 crosses? I am currently play with pure 80 @ 28lbs.

#98 TomW, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  19. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    9031019205051968295.jpg

Li Ning No.3 / BG80p Hybrid tomorrow woot! Not sure on the tension still since I'm not sure what's the highest no.3 will take.

Okaharu likes this.
  20. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think this thin grommets will be determine which tension is possible. ;)