A Year Later: Let's vote on the New/Old Scoring System again.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by kwun, Jan 12, 2007.

?

New or Old Scoring System?

1. Old - Service based 3x15 scoring system

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. New - Rally based 3x21 scoring system

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The average length of time taken for a rally

Hi jcr2001,

What I meant was the average length of time taken for a rally played.

A rally lasts on the average (estimated approximately);
    20 seconds for higher skill levels.
    15 seconds for medium skill levels.
    10 seconds for lower skill levels.

You can measure these rally times for different skill levels the next time you are at courtside. :)

Cheers... chris@ccc

2. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

King of Smash play Single & Double in OSS

Still remember during the OSS team even Liem Swie King after play a tough game in single then he play again in double and win the team even.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    In the old days it was not uncommon to have singles players also playing doubles for their country. The reason was that the standard then was nowhere near as high as today's. In today's game there is no way a singles player is good enough to also play doubles for his country, at least among the major badminton countries. In weaker badminton countries you can of course have their singles player playing singles, doubles and even mixed doubles.

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Isn't this true for at least 75% of the events? Surely weightlifting, archery, fencing etc. are no more popular than badminton.

#344 demolidor, Oct 23, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

We all have our own definitions of what constitutes "popular". The Olympics have their own and are based on a few major "must-haves", such as only one world governing body, a minimum number of countries where the sport is regulated and played, and a minimum of continentals the sport is popular. Badminton has a big hole in the continent of Africa and South America.
    This is the reason why the governing body of the BWF must reach out to these two continents, even if it angers the major badminton powerhouse countries.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Why not take a look at BC and see how many members are from Africa or South America? It is hard for people to look from a higher (helicopter view) perspective, because the world at ground level is all they know or care. That is why we choose leaders who have a more "helicopter view" mind.

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Is badminton getting healthier after the NSS?

Hi Han,

An unbelievable NSS event has happened... :eek::eek::eek:
    Must post it here too, before we forget... :):):)

Just hours ago, at the French Super Series 2007 Quarter Finals played on Friday 2-Nov-2007, the Womens Doubles match between the Japanese pair of Aki AKOA/Tomomi MATSUDA and the Indonesian pair of Jo NOVITA/Greysia POLII went on for 1 hour 47 minutes, with NOVITA/POLLI winning by 18-21, 21-19, 21-14.

This is approximately 30 minutes per game. And none of the 3 games reached the situation @20-20 all.

Here is an account of the match as watched by our BC member, ben95;

Cheers... chris@ccc

8. Zealous

Zealous Regular Member

I personally feel that the new system is better. The old system in my point of view test the players stamina but not their skills. So, if a person stamina is poor, then most probably he will lose the game. But in the new system it test both ( skill and stamina ). Anyway, that's just my opinion. XD

9. bad_tensioner

bad_tensioner Regular Member

PE Teacher
    Some would not want to travel far for a game that would last 7 mins. However, many travel far and their races last less than a minute. Look at the swimmers, who travel very, very far to compete in a less-than-a-minute event. And the preparation that they make for this event takes years. Maybe badminton and swimming are very different. But the idea of travelling far is still there, and the events being very short are also there. If one really loves the sport, 'ain't no mountain high enough, ain't no river low enough...' as the song goes.
    Maybe, I wouldn't want to travel far from my house if I'd known that I would only be playing a couple of short games. I would rather look for a nearer court where I could play. However, if I was going to represent my country in a faraway tournament, and the stakes are $$$$ in thousands, then, 7 mins or 20 mins do not really matter anymore.
    As for the scoring system, pacing still plays a big role, in both systems. Stamina depends on preparation. But pacing and stamina means longer playing time. Now that I am old and still playing badminton, counter-attack is the deadliest against young or old. It doesn't zap much of my energy, but it does my opponents'.

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    In The Same Vein

It isn't always about the money :)

For instance, the Olympic 100 metres sprint is probably the most prestigious event in athletics. The top sprinters spend at least four years training for it, dreaming of becoming the World's Fastest :cool:

Finally, after having travelled to the Olympic venue (perhaps halfway around the world), the ultimate athletic line-up explodes off the starting blocks.

And then, it's all over... in less than ten seconds.
    Just ten seconds! :eek:

After having endured and hoped so much and for so long, imagine what it must feel like to fail.

On the other hand, imagine what it must feel like to succeed. :rolleyes:

Regardless of what future amendments lie in store for badminton's scoring system, there will be those ready to take the competition to even higher levels. The new scoring system might have changed the equations on stamina, risk-taking, power and speed... but nothing will change the desire and the will to compete. :)

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

New Scoring Ststem has raised the quality of strokes

Yeah... It isn't about the length of time (of a game) that Badminton is played. :):):)

One of the changes found (that the NSS has done for Badminton) is the quality of our strokes needs to be of a higher standard (to be performed without mistake)... in particular, the first stroke, the Service.

This is why lower/weaker skilled players are finding their games much shorter.

12. bad_tensioner

bad_tensioner Regular Member

PE Teacher
    Maybe it really isn't about the money. But then, endorsements do not come in cheap also. An amateur or pro player, whatever sport, would eventually come to grips with endorsements if and when he wins in his field. And when one gets older, landing a coaching stint would be an inevitable fallback. If one doesn't depend on the sport as bread and butter, maybe, money doesn't really matter. However, we've seen soccer, basketball, badminton, and other sports players who have dedicated their lives to a single sport and do not have any other means of livelihood except the sport turn into coaches, trainers, heads of athletic departments, and even teachers of physical education. For them, their sport is their life. They live for the sport, and through the sport. Without their sport, they cannot live. For them, they need all the possible income they could get through their sport - winnings, endorsements, coaching, training.
    It is true that there are those who want to raise their playing into a higher level, no matter what the scoring system, especially those who depend on badminton as a means of living. For those who can afford to play the sport and pay the court fees and gear, they also want to play better. It really makes me feel good when I know I've played well and better than before. For me, it will make me feel good, while for others, it will make them live.

13. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    both versions of the scoring systems have their pros and cons in my opinion.

OLD 15 Point service system
    Pros:
    - service meant more
    - was tactically better, rather than the physical side

Cons:
    - server tended to relax more
    - matches could be very long (long stretches of switching services no pts)

NEW 21 Point rally
    Pros:
    - Faster, more exicting play
    - Matches are a lot, A LOT faster sometimes

Cons:
    - tends to suit the physical side of badminton more, whereas I like watching tactical attack and defense type games
    - rallies seem a lot shorter, more pressure on players since pts can be scored anytime

In my opinion these are just SOME of the many pros and cons of each type.
    In conclusion I like to watch and play the 15 point service system better than the 21 point rally. :rolleyes:

ting03

14. aznchopstix89

aznchopstix89 Regular Member

the new rally system doesnt allow a comeback...in most cases whereas it was possible to win a game when you were down 4-5 points. However, when you are down 4-5 in the rally system, its pretty much over.

15. Zealous

Zealous Regular Member

Miracle can happen sometimes but I do admit it's pretty much over. Chong Wei came back from 13-20 in Malaysia Open 2006 when he was playing with Lin Dan. I guess that's suppose to be pure miracle.

16. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Those who watched that game are unlikely to agree.
    That comeback was anything but a miracle :)
    The scoring system had very little to do with it.

17. JesmondL

JesmondL Regular Member

Student
    i think that the new scoring system proves a lot tougher than the old scoring system. in nss, players tend to do less mistake and strive in a long rally. in oss, players relaxed more on their serve and tend to finish opponents serve within 1 or 2 strokes. oss proves a lot in ones stamina and stability if they started to enter a rally around 10 strokes and above...i think.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Tactics for the NSS Matches

Hi JesmondL,

Welcome to Badminton Central. :):):)

You might be interested to follow some of the discussions located in this thread:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=399453&post=210

Cheers... chris@ccc

19. JesmondL

JesmondL Regular Member

Student
    oh. i didnt notice. too many threads. thanks.

20. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    taneepak,
    Maybe to some extend, but I have seen it happen in Olympics (Sydney 2000) and Uber Cup (Tokyo 2006).