A Year Later: Let's vote on the New/Old Scoring System again.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by kwun, Jan 12, 2007.

?

New or Old Scoring System?

1. Old - Service based 3x15 scoring system

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. New - Rally based 3x21 scoring system

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. nwy5633

nwy5633 Regular Member

Student
    i think maybe BWF can consider like giving the organiser country to choose whether the tournament in 15 pts or 21 pts format..
    like 12 SS event but maybe 4 or 6 can use 15 pts format..
    tat will make the match more interesting, by the way also confusing la..
    jz miss the old scoring format so much!

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Not many tournament organisers would want to do the OSS format anymore

After 2 years of using the NSS 21 rally-point system, organisers of tournaments have found it much easier now, for them to plan/schedule their matches.

Even if BWF wants to consider like giving the organiser country to choose whether the tournament is run with the 15 pts OSS or with the 21 pts NSS format, not many tournament organisers would now want to do the OSS format anymore.

Fortunately, under the NSS, the skill factor of Badminton players has not been affected, although the mental factor has.

It is now heard from newcomers to Badminton, whether as players or as spectators, that the OSS is boring... just because the scores are not moving.

3. JesmondL

JesmondL Regular Member

Student
    agreed. in a week, i usually play badminton with my dad and his friends which they are seniors, they would like to use OSS instead of NSS. sometimes they could dragged the game even for only one game up to half an hour. in return where the others including me have to wait for quite some time before they could finish the game. the long wait had made my body 'chill up'. what i saw is, they didnt even put a full effort in the game itself. because of the OSS, the serves keep on changing. i think they thought that they still have chance when the serve comes back to them again. when i played, i focus not to make any mistake which could drag the game like NSS.

IMO NSS is much more better compared to OSS. NSS could really make the player to play more focused in game because of the point rally. even myself played more seriously than last time. i didn't know why but its my instinct that told me to keep the pace. winning or losing is not the matter. i have countless of loss when play with the seniors and my dad and i accepted it as an improvement for me in the future.

#363 JesmondL, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  4. Nano7700

Nano7700 New Member

I prefer the new system, allows more games and focuses on the mistakes, we get punished for it.

Tom

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

365 days since this thread was created by kwun

Today, Sunday 13-Jan-2008, is exactly ONE year (365 days) since this thread was created by kwun. And this post is #365. :):):)

The Poll Results today (after 473 votes) are:

Old - Service based 3x15 scoring system ... 257 (54.32%) declining numbers 5432......
    New - Rally based 3x21 scoring system ..... 216 (45.67%) increasing numbers 4567...

:D:D:D

#365 chris-ccc, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  6. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    woh! very twilight zoney.....:)

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

New OSS/NSS Poll for 2008?

A scary tale isn't it, azabaz_ipoh? :D:D:D

BTW, it's a year now since I have voted for the NSS and you the OSS. If kwun is to set another poll again, for this year 2008, would you vote for the NSS this time? :):):)

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think a new poll starting from now should be more indicative. Continuing with the one-year poll will carry some old baggage which does not truly today's position. What do you think?

9. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    wow! i've been here a year already?

welllll.....i still play using the OSS. so i guess if the poll is asking which system i prefer to play, i would still choose OSS over NSS. however, if the poll is asking about the usage of NSS or OSS in tournaments, i would have to say NSS are much more faster and easier to manage. more exciting for the doubles game rather than the singles game, NSS i mean. :p

10. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    i suggest that a new poll be made, it would make more sense, as people change their minds.

I personally still favor the 3x21 system, simply because i play with it the most now, and I am now used to it.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Which scoring system is best for Badminton?

Agree... Hope that kwun could find time to start another poll (for Year 2008). :):):)
    Yes, time flies, doesn't it? :):):)

And just going back to page 1 (of this thread), I've voted for the NSS, you the OSS, and taneepak ??? (but from reading all his comments made, I think he had voted for the NSS).
    However, as stated before, when voting please think of what is best for 'The Progress of Badminton as a World Sport'.

What scoring system we use in our own private games (in our own backyard) does not contribute to the promotion of Badminton worldwide (I would think ??? :confused:).

:confused::confused::confused: Confused now... If our voting is based on what we play ourselves, then the OSS would definitely be still infront. Here in Australia, my club (out of the 100+ Social Clubs/Groups in Melbourne) is the only one using the NSS. Other clubs/groups are just not interested to introduce it. So, that is less than 1% for the vote for the NSS.

Perhaps, kwun should now rephrase the question to something like this "Which scoring system is best for Badminton?" :D:D:D

#371 chris-ccc, Jan 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  12. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    the poll needs to be rephrased... the original poll seemed to be which one a person preffered, and i interpreted as what i would want to play with if i played someone.
    when I first voted, i voted as a player preference thing...
    thats why i said i prefer it because thats what I use, but for the best for badminton...probably still the 3x21...just different reasons

13. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    well, the system we used when playing in our backyard is the one that made us love badminton in the first place. so i think it is important to know what majority of badminton lovers like. however as i think i have mentioned before, the NSS will overtake OSS because new players will of course use NSS unless they play with older players who likes to use OSS. :) i still prefer OSS and will vote accordingly. but i am at peace with the NSS being the system that will be used in tournaments.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You must have just missed the greatest "World War" between OSS and NSS before the current poll was taken. At that time I felt that it was a battle between one (me) against the whole OSS world. I was called all sorts of unpleasant "......" , including being abused with unfriendly adjectives. I don't recall the thread, which should provide some interesting reading and a little bit of history as well as giving you a glimpse of the various arguments for and against.

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just giving my 5 sen rupiahs..

..before, or if and when kwun decides to lock this thread and starts another poll on the NSS vs. OSS..:eek: :p :D
    ..that's a possibility...
    (sharing just from my own personal experience)..:p
    ..Well, i've finally played/tried using the NSS this past yr. And my personal feeling is that, it's not a bad scoring system. However, if i were to choose which one i prefer to use for playing, i'd say either one is fine. Once in a while, though, after playing with the NSS, and then having to revert back to the OSS, it'll take a bit of getting adjusted to the flow of the game. And it's true, what i've found out during my playing experience, the "older generation" players (i mean over 50+ yrs old) still tend & prefer to use the OSS; eventhough a handful of them won't mind the NSS.:cool:
    As for this poll itself, well, the number of people who voted is not the same as the previous/first poll. Maybe those who didn't vote in this current poll are still pondering or maybe still in a lost on which scoring system is "better"?!..:confused: :cool:

I would say, in the end, no matter what type of scoring system(s) is/are used, the game will be the same. But, perhaps, only the flow of the game will be affected.:cool:

*Btw, taneepak, the link of the first thread on this NSS vs. OSS issue is posted in the first post of this thread..;)

#375 ctjcad, Jan 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Thanks for the lead. I went through that thread again and I guess I must have suffered a thousand cuts. So much for sticking to your convictions. Chris@ccc did make it less one-sided when he joined in the great debate.

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Well..

..my conviction at that time was based on my lack of experience playing the NSS...However, even now, i'm impartial, neutral to both scoring systems; so in a way, i'm still sort of stuck w/my original conviction...If BWF presents a whole new scoring system, again, i probably would have the same reaction as i did when the current NSS started nearly 2 yrs ago...:cool:
    The question remains: what happened to the rest of the people who voted in that original poll, but are not voting in this current poll?? If they've tried both scoring systems, are they neutral now that they can't decide which one is preferable??..:confused:

#377 ctjcad, Jan 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

NSS is for us to play, to watch and to be entertained

My vote for the NSS was based on this reason... I think the NSS is the better scoring system for Badminton in the future for us to play, to watch and to be entertained (all combined together). :)

Presently, more than 50% of my Badminton games are still played with the OSS. Many players still prefer to stay with what they have been used to, even though they are enjoying watching and are being entertained by the NSS.

19. Winston_T

Winston_T Regular Member

Business Consultant
    new scoring system was more exciting

20. gustaff

gustaff Regular Member

Work
    I definately prefer the new scoring system.