BackHand Smashing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by TourSpEdition, Oct 20, 2002.

1. FlyingGorilla

FlyingGorilla Regular Member

Geospatial Analyst
    By no means would i suggest that the backhand smash is negligible as a playable shot. It's simply not the most critical shot to learn IMO.

Always a flashy and opportune shot, but it shouldn't be one that you expect to see every game.

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    If your backhand is functional to do good drives, drops, clears, etc, then you've already learnt the hard part of the backhand smash. No point trying to learn the smash alone when the other aspects of the backhand are more useful and lead to development of the smash anyways.

3. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Let's not talk about the merits and de-merits. Let's talk about the techniques and steps involved.

I would;

1. Get my elbow up,thumb holding the flatpart of the handle (not bevels). Back facing net, the usual backhand stance.
    2. Flip or flick my upper arm or however u call it
    3. Contact the bird high up
    4. end with a wrist rollover

I have heard of elbow down preparation. What are your views ?

4. jrmanu

jrmanu Regular Member

Backhand smash

I normally drive the shuttle real fast if it is at the base i think this is a better shot because your catching your opponent and you imediatly pressure his next return. and you have a chance at goin into the net, but normally peoples defence are solid and i only drive when i know that side of the court is empty or if i want to catch my opponent. But i only backhand smash when the shuttle is halfcourt because if i smash from the base my opponent may hit it to the other corner. and for my backhand drive i use the same technique as taufik and my smash and lob i use the backhand wrist technique

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

If you want to see a sick backhand smash..

..check out this video below @ 2:16..And please, hold your jaw so it won't drop to the floor and cover your mouth, as well..:cool:;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjgtHIEdwfc
    (From his recent visit to California/Nor Cal for the BBC Tournament)..

6. the_oro

the_oro Regular Member

pretty boring profile -_-
    there's no such thing as a shot that isn't needed

7. Azam Ali

Azam Ali Regular Member

The backhand drive and smash are very similar. Actually I think the only thing that makes the backhand smash is if it's hit just a little harder and steeper. The technique is EXACTLY the same. Because the backhand has no follow through, and instead generates more power from stopping and whiplashing...technique remains constant for most shots.

8. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    so true to the_oro. And so wrong to people who keep thinking backhand smash is not important in double.
    sometime when a bad lift, and itz on the backhand side. We should backhand smash so the opponent doesn't have much of time to react to it.
    Sure it doesn't get to be used often, but let say 4 shots might happen like that in a game. And 4/21 points? that's cose to be like wat? 1/5 ratio of the game already, and itz only an easy execute point if you able to do a decent backhand smash.

9. Athelete1234

Student
    Not a good idea, better to jump and do an around-the head smash. You should only use a backhand smash for that if it's really out of reach but in doubles, you shouldn't have that problem because there are 2 of you covering the court.

10. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    there is no way that a bad situation never occurred. yea of course, over if you able to do over the head smash in the situation then y not. And like i said we all human, we make mistake, trust me there is time when both player in a same corner, that even happen to world class players. And if that's happen, then every situations can be happen. So yea, if you think u don't have to use backhand smash and still able to play the game good then do it, no one stopping you.
    But here what i say, If you can do backhand smash it is definite give you a higher chance to win the game.

11. FlyingGorilla

FlyingGorilla Regular Member

Geospatial Analyst
    I agree with Gamepurpose.
    Furthermore in badminton, there will always be a situation where any number of shots will be required. I guess the BHS shouldn't be looked at in a should/shouldn't do situation. The shot can be made when situation demands really. Therefore it's still a shot a player should be able to hit.

It's almost like discussing the merits of clearing, sure it gives you space, but also gives the opponent an offensive opportunity. Almost every shot will have a list of positives and an equal list of negatives. However when the situation arises, every shot has value.

And finally to stay on topic with the theme of the thread, I prefer the 'racket head up and whip' but often use the 'elbow up and swing' method as well.

12. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    Just to add one more thing that I think
    I think that people who doesn't have good backhand, and keep finding another way to get the bird is just will never improve their games.
    I actually know a guy with no watsoever backhand, he keeps doing drops and over hand clear or watever so he able to do in the situations. Well you guess it, whenever he's about to use his backhand, his opponent is infront waiting for it.
    And yet even now, after so many years I haven't see him, he still hasn't practice his backhand to be better. Just keep giving excuse that he's too weak for backhand shots. Well actually, he's technique is just wrong, he can't produce any power out of his shots, smash, clear, backhand and all. Every of those shots he really pushed all out, but it just the wrong technique that can't be helped.
    I don't want to teach him. Because I know he ain't gonna listen, and i'll end up hearing "none of your business"
    Anyway wat i'm trying to say is stop giving yourself excuse and not practice the shots you're not good at it. It doesn't hurt to ask and practice in a non-game time.

13. Athelete1234

Student
    I know plenty of people who never ever use their backhand, and are amazing. It's like they move like lightning to the back.

Point it, you need some way to cover the backhand side of the court, no matter what. Your friend sounds like he has an awful around-the-head and a pathetic backhand; he'd be a much better player if he improves foot work and either 1) around the head or 2) backhand.

There's no problem with using a backhand, just as long as you are threatening, recover quickly, and are able to pull off good strokes, it's fine. However the main problem with backhand is that while it gives good reach and is unexpected, it's less powerful, less steep, and has a poor recovery, while the forehand is much more powerful.

Anyways, my last backhand vs forehand post in this thread... though Backhand smash is a cool stroke and is useful especially in the midcourt because you can reach and smash things you couldn't with a forehand.

14. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    i would like to know if those people are top level? at least national players?
    and If you can define AMAZING, give it a level. I really want to play with people can't play backhand.
    I don't care how fast and good their footwork is. But one thing i'm sure about is they can't move faster 40 mph. Because a normal push shots are around that speed if i'm not wrong. I actually used the speed gun and test it. And it was just a slow push shots.
    So please introduce those people to me.

15. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Turning into yet another snowball fight, guys?

I have to say that I think having more variety of shots will never harm. Whether or not you choose to execute them is another story. Sure, you can make it up by blazing your way through to the back of your court avoiding the need for a backhand, but would be more comfortable and less energy consuming if you have a decent backhand clear/smash. Much like a guy who can't walk but move with his hands.

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

There's nothing wrong with learning a backhand smash. Adding another shot to your arsenal can only make your game better. :)

The problem occurs when players get so caught up in the vainglorious pursuit of backhand smashes (and other sometimes show-off shots) that they neglect to spend more time working on the more useful shots (such as round-the-head forehands).

I don't quite agree with the doctrine of "save the advanced shots until you've mastered the basics", however. Skill development in parallel is more efficient: both skills will take time to mature, so it makes sense to start both of them early. Yet you still need to choose how much emphasis to put on each, and I definitely recommend more emphasis (and therefore time spent) on the round-the-head -- simply because it will help you win more rallies overall.

17. Athelete1234

Student
    Not even national players, though even national juniors dont' have to use a backhand if they practise enough. Heck, anybody at who is at a decent club level doesn't need an excellent backhand unless they're lazy and slow. :p

BTW, these people I mentioned dont' need a backhand...even when playing plastic birdies. I hope you understand the implications of that ;)

18. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    I actually don't really get it but oh well I really don't care. But this is a suggestion. Before you start something up, you must write it out alittle detail.
    Did you realize that people playing with no BACKHAND involve means only forehand, for every shots? drop, clear, and shots at your foot height they still use forehand.
    That's what you really said up there.
    And one important thing.
    As we all know that if you able to perform a good backhand clear, you will able to do a decent backhand smash. Therefore, if national players and juniors play don't practice their backhand, which mean they wouldn't able to do their backhand clear.
    So in reality explain it to me how those people able to do a backhand clear so easily if they don't practice like you said so?
    And the last sentence you said suppose to be some kind of meaning? They're too fast for a plastic bird? please explain athelete1234, honestly i think you should double check everything before you post.

19. 7Heavens

7Heavens New Member

Student
    Ah...the backhand smash

Well, if you want to learn how to backhand smash, you need to know how to smash, period. A lot of people believe that if they have a bigger muscle mass on their arms, or a lot of power from their wrist they will have a "strong" smash. That is a totally wrong concept. When professional people smash, they don't just generate their power from their arms, they use a chain reaction (sorry, could find the precise word) from the movement of their body.

Likewise to how a whip works, when you do a smash, your whole body works together. Your hip, back, and abdomen twist and curve backward and twist flex forward in a simultaneous sequence working together with your arms. All the power add up and generate an impressive amount of force on the bird.

There, now likewise to the forehand smash, your body have to work together as well. But unlike the forehand smash, your muscles will have to generate the force in a reverse direction. When your at the proper position for the backhand clear/smash, your body will curve forward and flex upright backward and naturally with the twist. Then comes the motion of the arm, with the shoulder leading the arm, elbow leading the forearm, and lastly the wrist. It's like a whipping motion like someone previously mentioned. I won't be explaining the positions because that will take way longer, plus someone already did a great job explaining it.

Coaches don't recommend the smash because it may damage the joints and muscles if the players don't follow the correct motion and forms. It will put too much stress on those weak joints and affect their proper performance. Also a backhand smash will put you too much into a disposition anyways, if the smash wasn't effective, you'll likely do a 360 spin on the court.

Now, the power of the smash at max wouldn't be much for a normal player. This is due to your muscles don't normally flex in the opposite direction. Alot of people work on crunches and abs to do a powerful forehand smash, but not alot of people do the reverse crunches, or hardly work on flexing their back muscles. Then again, a backhand smash at maximum can not possibly match up to the forehand smash at maximum by the same individual. Because when doing a backhand smash, your are using around less than 1/2 or 1/4 of the muscles you're using for your forehand smash with a much acute angle. Which means no space to generate power from the swing.

As to why you want to use the backhand smash, the only reason i can think of is to keep the pressure on your opponent or just to add a surprising element. You shouldn't rely on the backhand smash as an offense.

I didn't explain much, but this is just a personal comment from my own experiences:D