Boxing

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by jbchiong, Apr 17, 2009.

1. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

My prediction: Mayweather in either TKO in the 12th or Unanimous Decision.

Can't wait for June 5th though, Yuri Foreman Vs. Miguel Cotto in Yankee Stadium. Going to be crazy. Then maybe in September hopefully Pacquiao fights whoever wins Mosley vs Mayweather. My heart says Mosley should win, but in my mind Mayweather should win so I can see Pacquiao destroy the living s*** out of Pretty boy Floyd so he can stop running his mouth like he always does.

2. mayouno

mayouno Regular Member

Foreman vs Cotto must be crazy!

Roche, Pacquiao's trainer gives the thumbs up on Moneyweather (though Roche is friends with Mosley). Pacquiao says Mosley should win. I don't know but on paper Moneyweather is top dog until he falls but perhaps he can retire undefeated just like Joe Calzaghe!

On Calzaghe, I was hoping he would break Rocky Marcinao's long standing 49 undefeated record but then he retired.

I also hope Hitman Hatton will try it once more and decides on whether to call it a career.

Btw, Amir Khan is rising up in stature, perhaps he could one day competitive fighting at the welterweight division.

3. mayouno

mayouno Regular Member

Whoops, looks like you are a Pacquaio fan...is it Pacquaio, your avatar? Yeah, looks like it:).

4. mayouno

mayouno Regular Member

5. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Obviously Pacquiao. Not unless Pac agrees to the blood/urine test that Floyd specifically wants. If Manny declines, then no fight, simple as that. But in all seriousness though, with a fight this big (This is the fight fans really want) why would you want to turn down a healthy pay cheque of $30 or $40 million?:rolleyes:
    Earliest I've heard from Bob Arum, would be September? Depends on negotiations though.

6. mayouno

mayouno Regular Member

He he, how about Iron Mike downsizing to welterweight division, even at 40 something:cool:?

At this point in time, it's down to who wants who really, if Money wants it more, he'll brush off his blood testing pre requisites, if Pac wants it more, he'll submit to the test anyhow.

The way I see it, Money went for bust after he was rocked by Sugar in round two becasue there's no way he's going to win if he didn't impose himself thereafter round after round and he did;)!

Getting rocked:eek:? First, Oscar found explored and found his suspect chin:cool:, years later (read: a couple years older) he got rocked, if he opens up to Pac, there's no doubt he's definitely going to smack the canvass ala Hatton:D!

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Watched the Mosley fight yesterday after I fell asleep during the live (vaguely remember it starting around 0630AM for me after I had started watching from 3AM). Sadly enough went completely as expected. Think Maria Carey was in the crowd as well ...
    Hadn't watched a Mosley fight in years, probably around the time he started losing and still stuck with his father as coach and losing the same way :rolleyes:.

Money v PacMan :cool: has to be done

8. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Yeah, I spotted her easily with that red dress, and those huge watermelons:eek::D

9. mayouno

mayouno Regular Member

Hey !?Clue?!,

Seems your man Pacquaio has softened on his stance regarding drug testing the way Moneyweather wants it.

Looks like the fight is gonna happen afterall:)!

I just voted from ESPN's poll...it was about 35% by decision Money's way and 36% by KO Pacquaio's way:cool:!

I hope it'll happen this year, at least they haven't started to slow yet considering they're both in their early 30s:). And I hope it will be a KO:D!

10. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Hehe, that's what everyone is hoping for. I'm feeling either a unanimous or TKO by Pac, but if it's a really great fight unanimous for sure on Manny's side. Now from what I've heard from Bob Arum, the earliest date they can fight is November.

Off topic pare, but where in the Philippines are you from? I've been to Green Hills but not Green Fields before:D

11. mayouno

mayouno Regular Member

Green Fields in Flushing Meadows, NY.

12. mayouno

mayouno Regular Member

Pacquaio to fight in November

Pacquiao to fight in November

• [​IMG] AP – Filipino boxing great and a congressional candidate for the lone province of Sarangani Manny Pacquiao …
    By OLIVER TEVES, Associated Press Writer Oliver Teves, Associated Press Writer – 14 mins ago
    MANILA, Philippines – Boxing champion Manny Pacquiao, who is awaiting formal proclamation as a newly elected congressman in the Philippines, will enter the ring again in November, his aide told The Associated Press on Wednesday.
    Michael Konzc, Pacquiao's chief financial adviser, said that no opponent has been selected yet, amid speculation it could be Floyd Mayweather Jr. or Antonio Margarito.
    He said that two dates — Nov. 6 and Nov. 13 — have been set aside for the fight at the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. The Cowboys are on the road on Nov. 7 and Nov. 14.
    "There is no named opponent yet, but that is certainly when we will fight," Konzc said.
    He said no negotiations are taking place with any of the potential rivals of Pacquiao, who is headed for a landslide win in Monday's vote in his southern Sarangani province.
    The boxing world is eager for a clash between Pacquiao and Mayweather, not only the world's two top welterweights but widely regarded as the two contenders for the unofficial title of pound-for-pound champion.
    A planned bout fell through in March when the Filipino champion refused blood testing conditions set by the Mayweather camp.
    "If Mayweather wants to fight Manny, then no problem, provided he doesn't try to bully us into terms and conditions," Konzc said.
    Pacquiao will fight under the rules of the commission of the U.S. state where the fight is held, he said.
    Konzc said Pacquiao could also fight whoever wins the June 4 bout between Yuri Foreman and Miguel Cotto, whom Pacquiao defeated in November.
    According to Konzc, the "television date and the venue are the two most important things" in setting up a fight, even before an opponent is identified, as was the case when Pacquiao fought Joshua Clottey at the Cowboys Stadium in March. Pacquiao won by an unanimous decision.
    Earlier, Pacquiao told the AP that the decision to return to the ring was up to his mother, Dionisia. ABS-CBN television news website reported Wednesday he got his mother's permission to fight "one more time."
    Pacquiao and his mother could not immediately be reached for comment.
    Konzc said Pacquiao, 31, was resting following a night of monitoring results from the congressional race in Sarangani province that pitted him against businessman Roy Chiongbian, 61.
    "Pacquiao is leading by a big margin and it looks like a landslide," said Michael Abas, regional director for the Commission on Elections.
    "Pacman" was roundly defeated when he first ventured into politics in a run for the House of Representatives in 2007.
    Campaigning last month, Pacquiao described his platform as "very simple, very basic" — giving small boats to fishermen and financial support to neighborhood stores so people can build livelihoods, plus offering free education and medicine and medical care to the poor.

13. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

14. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

Ok guys, is it Yuri Foreman or Miguel Cotto? Hope Foreman wins and becomes a rabbi and bloodies nobody no more:D!

15. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Yess!!! This Saturday!
    :)

16. RSLvictorSOTX

Mayweather up against fight deadline

By Dan Rafael
    ESPN.com

Bracing for the increasing likelihood that Floyd Mayweather Jr. will not fight Manny Pacquiao in November, Pacquiao's adviser has met with Top Rank promoter Bob Arum in Las Vegas to look over alternative plans.
    “Mayweather has until the end of the week. He could wait until the last minute. If it's Friday and it's 11 p.m., and he says we have a deal, we have a deal. ” -- Bob Arum, Top Rank promoter ​
    While awaiting Mayweather's decision -- Arum told ESPN.com that Friday is the deadline -- Michael Koncz and Arum on Monday discussed proposals for Pacquiao to fight former welterweight titlist Antonio Margarito or face Miguel Cotto in a rematch in the event Mayweather declines the Nov. 13 fight.

"We're ready to go on with the Mayweather fight," Arum said, "but we have to make contingency plans just in case and I don't really want to talk about that too much. But Mayweather has until the end of the week. He could wait until the last minute. If it's Friday and it's 11 p.m., and he says we have a deal, we have a deal."

Arum and Koncz said they were hopeful Mayweather would accept the deal, but that they had to be prepared in the event he doesn't. Arum has said for weeks that Mayweather's camp has a contract for the fight and that Pacquiao has accepted the terms, including provisions for drug testing (blood and urine) leading up to the bout.

When Pacquiao and Mayweather were negotiating during December and January for a fight in March, the talks fell apart when they could not come to an agreement on drug testing protocol.

Pacquiao then went on to easily outpoint Joshua Clottey to retain his welterweight title in March, while Mayweather dominated Shane Mosley in May.

"We're waiting on Floyd," Arum said. "He might not want to fight again this year. If he wants to say, 'See you next year,' there's always next year. But I don't think we can't wait much longer for him to make up his mind because if we do the fight we want to make it as big as we can make it, and that takes time. I think Floyd will give us the courtesy of a response one way or the other. What that response will be, I really don't know.

"That's the fight we want and that's the fight we're in for, but if we can't do that fight there are other opponents."

Koncz and Arum wouldn't go into specifics of the terms on the table for the fight with Mayweather but Koncz said "a 50-50 deal was proposed and there was no argument against it."

Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, recently said that if the bout does not happen, Cowboys Stadium would host a Nov. 13 bout between Pacquiao and an undetermined opponent.

Koncz said Pacquiao wants to fight Mayweather, which would match the universally regarded top two fighters in boxing and one many believe would set pay-per-view and revenue records, but is prepared to move on.

17. RSLvictorSOTX

Sitting it out

It's Floyd's way or no way Jul 17 11:28
    His own man: Floyd Mayweather always plays by the rules -- his rules.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum's deadline of 3 a.m. ET came and went Saturday morning with no response from Floyd Mayweather Jr. or his representatives about whether he would accept the terms of a deal for a Nov. 13 fight with Manny Pacquiao.

So there is no deal, Arum said, and he will begin negotiating another fight for the pound-for-pound king.

[FONT=&quot]Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.[/FONT]

18. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

*Sigh...SMH...I'm not surprised by Mayweather Jr's decision. Afraid to lose to the REAL champ...I don't even know if this fight is ever going to go down or not..

19. RSLvictorSOTX

Updated: July 18, 2010, 8:12 PM ET

Mayweather won't rush into fight

Associated Press

MIAMI -- Floyd Mayweather Jr. allowed a deadline for striking a deal on a superfight with Manny Pacquiao to pass without saying anything.

A day later, Mayweather indicated that his stance wouldn't be changing anytime soon.

"I'm not interested in rushing to do anything," Mayweather told The Associated Press.

Appearing in Miami on Sunday as a coach at a charity basketball game hosted by Dwyane Wade and Alonzo Mourning, Mayweather happily fielded questions about the NBA. But when talk turned to boxing -- and Pacquiao in particular -- the fighter known as Money simply wouldn't respond.
    [​IMG]

I'm not really thinking about boxing right now. I'm just relaxing. I fought about 60 days ago, so I'm just enjoying myself, enjoying life, enjoying my family and enjoying my vacation.
    ” -- Floyd Mayweather Jr., when asked about fighting Manny Pacquiao ​
    Mayweather's camp did not respond to a deadline early Saturday put in place by Pacquiao promoter Top Rank for exclusive negotiations, which has put what could be the richest fight in boxing history in doubt. Mayweather and Pacquiao are clearly the two biggest stars in the sport but have not signed a deal despite months of negotiations.

"I'm not really thinking about boxing right now," Mayweather said. "I'm just relaxing. I fought about 60 days ago, so I'm just enjoying myself, enjoying life, enjoying my family and enjoying my vacation."

Mayweather has appeared at the event Mourning founded known as the Summer Groove in past years, plus has grabbed courtside seats at Heat games during previous trips to Miami. But there was a certain irony to his appearance Sunday: Mayweather was a coach on the bench that the Heat occupy, sitting in the seat that Miami coach Erik Spoelstra uses during games. Spolestra is of Filipino descent, and is a huge Pacquiao fan.

"I'm supporting all basketball players because I'm a fan of basketball," Mayweather said.

Pacquiao already has agreed to an equitable split of the earnings from the megafight, along with extensive drug testing. The two sides nearly came to terms earlier this year, but the fight didn't happen then because Pacquiao was reticent about blood testing close to a fight.

Pacquiao ended up routing Joshua Clottey before about 50,000 fans at Cowboys Stadium in March, while Mayweather easily defeated Shane Mosley in May.

Although he hasn't spoken directly to Mayweather, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said he believes the former pound-for-pound champion might be reluctant to fight this year because of the legal woes of Roger Mayweather, his uncle and longtime trainer.

Roger Mayweather will go on trial in Las Vegas next month on assault charges stemming from an altercation with a female boxer last year.

If the fight with Mayweather doesn't happen, Pacquiao could fight recently crowned junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto, whom he's already defeated, or former welterweight champion Antonio Margarito. Arum said that Pacquiao plans to fight Nov. 13 regardless of the opponent.

As for Mayweather, well, only he seems to know.
    "Like I said, I'm just supporting my family and relaxing," Mayweather said. "That's what I'm doing right now."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

#59 RSLvictorSOTX, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  20. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

One word and word only...PUSSY!!!