Carlton Kinesis X90 X80 X70

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by meteor, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Juni88

Juni88 Regular Member

Geography Teacher
    Had my first session with it tonight, think I need a few more to get used to it. It is slightly head-heavier then the previous H-h Carltons I'm used to so my timing was a little off. Whenever I could take my time for a stroke Cclearing drill baseline to baseline) it was amazing, but drop shots and netplay during a match when there was little time some shots were horrible.

2. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

I think they may have made a mistake, as the X90 is a tad lighter (carltonsports.co.uk). The X90 is a tad stiffer though, having tried both, and the X80 is slightly head-heavier.
    Carlton's website rates them the same, but I thought it was pretty noticeable when trying them out. I didn't have the chance to try out multiple of the same though, so some of it could be due to the batch.

3. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    The Directsports people claim that their specs are measured from actual rackets though, so I'm more inclined to take notice of them - especially considering they actually measure the BP and stiffness. Each racket does have a spec tolerance though.

4. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Carlton works at +-2g (I think) on total weight, so there's a 1g overlap. Still the X80 I have is noticeably heavier than the X90 I tested. I know Victor specs change per region, but I didn't think Carlton did...

5. odmar_nl

odmar_nl Regular Member

Hello everybody,

My two original two pieces original pieces of the Carlton Kinesis X70 have both broken on me. The racket handle cracks and breaks near the cone that supports the shaft of the racket. I have never seen this happen to me before, with any other racket. I've played with both Carlton rackets and of course Yonex. Has anyone seen this happening? I've got a Carlton Kinesis X70 replaced under warranty, only to see it happen again. Also, with the original Kinesis (prototype) I've had the same thing happening twice. So that's a total of four Kinesis rackets breaking at the handle, because of the wood cracking and giving up. I'm interested to see if I'm the only one and if anybody knows what the cause could be?

Odmar

6. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    What do you mean the wood 'gives up'?

I guess it doesn't matter at this stage though, I'd be getting my money back and moving on.

7. odmar_nl

odmar_nl Regular Member

I meant that the racket handle cracked. The complete handle of the racket is broken in two pieces, with splinters, because the wood cracked and broke under the grip. I am getting another type, like the Vapour Trail Tour (never had any issues there).

Attached Files:

8. MrFlibbles

MrFlibbles New Member

I had 3 of the original kinesis rackets, the first had a cracked handle upon delivery, got a replacement then the frame broke at one of the 'twist' points during a simple clear shot, then after a second replacement the racket broke again in the same place on the frame after a smash. There is definitely something wrong with the construction IMO on the original series but not sure if they have corrected it in these newer X series. I really did like the balance and power the racket produced and would like to buy another if these problems have been eliminated.

9. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

If anyone wants Kinesis x70 or x80 in UK let me know, I haven't had chance to use mine yet but I have just bought some victor rackets so need to sell some of my other rackets.

10. amleto

amleto Regular Member

11. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Yeah I will do thanks, I was reading this thread so thought I would mention it here because you guys are fans of the rackets, hopefully I can sell some of my other rackets and get to keep these.

12. 7un4tran

7un4tran Regular Member

Mechanical Drafter
    The now sell the x70, x80, and x90 here in the US. I really hope they fixed the frame crack issue from the original Kinesis. Im looking to upgrade from my Ignite Flare. The Ignite Flare is such a powerful racket even amongst giants like Yonex Voltric Z Force. Though, being a cheap racket, its smashes are not loud at all. If the frame crack issue is still there, I'm going for Vapor Trail Elite. :D

13. Halcyon.Days

Halcyon.Days Regular Member

Anyone have any other reviews for the Kinesis x70?

14. leeld

leeld New Member

Hi guys
    My choices are Yonex Nanoray Speed and Carlton X90 . The second one had a price drop from 300$ to 140 and NR Speed is 150

Which one you suggest to me ?

Thanks

15. MrFlibbles

MrFlibbles New Member

Re:

The Nanoray Z-speed is the superior racket and is designed specifically for smashing. The X90 isn't even the top Kinesis racket they have an X900 which is more expensive. if you can get a NR Z-speed for $150 i'd get that for sure all the carlton prices were set too high ad came down to look like a bargain.

16. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    He didn't ask about the Z-speed.

Where is south wales are you?

17. MrFlibbles

MrFlibbles New Member

I play in Narbeth. Sorry I assumed he meant Z-speed although he only typed Nanoray speed. I have just checked and carlton have released 2 new Kinesis rackets in the UK called Kinesis Ultra and Kinesis Rapid. Looks like there is a nanoray speed racket thats also new. As i said before that price drop is typical from carlton rackets and the reduced price is actually closer to the real value of the racket. Both rackets spec are similar and the only real difference is the shape of the Kinesis frame with the twists it has which allows for a faster swing speed right through the motion.

18. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I tried a Nanoray Speed and didn't like it very much, it felt kind of hollow and just didn't suit me at all. The x90 is the extra stiff head heavy version of the Kinesis, the x900 is a very light version that came out a little later. The Kinesis x90 would be my preference out of those two.

19. Luciole

Luciole Regular Member

Dave, can you give more détails for the x900?

20. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

The x900 is by far the lightest Kinesis and is extra stiff, it's very fast and manoeuvrable and a good looking racket too! If you need anymore info let me know.

image.jpg