Commonwealth Games - Melbourne - HELP!

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2006 Badminton' started by adelina76, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thanks for the warning!

I think I'm going to train up my leg muscles the next few days. Have Legs will Go....Forget public transport! :cool:

2. Twodogs

Twodogs Regular Member

Self Employed
    Also - for those who are walking everywhere, please pay attention when crossing the roads - especially if you come from a country where you drive on the right! We seem to have an awful lot of pedestrian accidents here.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    They left already yesterday. So they are already in Melb.
    Loh.. mascot? hahaha.. I can't make it to Melb this trip. Too busy with my work, i'm travelling so much. Maybe i will be with them for the Thomas Cup in Japan. I have not decided weather to go or not.

4. tze yang

tze yang Regular Member

World No. 3 In Outdoor Badminton
    And watch out for trams...trams stop for no man...lol

Btw if u see an asian lady doin restringing outside the venue, u might want a picture with her, coz she no other than Lenny Permana, former Aussie no.1 tht is currently injured, and also the former Indonesia Junior champ...

5. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    I've been to the stringing area today. Saw her and a few other people. Saw the malaysian team, the indian, sri lankan, aussie, singaporean teams also practicising. Also saw Maz the umpire.

Shuttles which would be used are AS-50s by Yonex. They have crates of them stored in the equipment room!!!

6. Twodogs

Twodogs Regular Member

Self Employed
    Well - good news everyone *I finally have a job* and I'm just across the river from the Melb Exhibition Centre, so I might have to slip across the river @ lunchtime to see who I can see :)

Start monday

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Congrats Twodogs. When can we celebrate together? ;)

You must have purposely secure your job near MEC so that you can swim across the Yarra every now and then to have a peek at the ongoing baddy matches. :D

8. Twodogs

Twodogs Regular Member

Self Employed
    I'm even thinking of going in there either today or tomorrow :) Give me a call if you would like to catch up - I think I've messaged my number to you. If not, let me know and I'll do it again.

9. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

I once saw her play in Kilsyth. I didn't know that she was Indo Junior champ. No wonder she can play so well. :)

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm arriving only on the 18th, Sat morning and will watch the Singapore v Canada match at 7 pm. I'm preparing to fly off tomorrow (Fri) evening. Cooler, maybe we should have a wager. I pick Singapore to win! ;)

The following day, Sun, will see me stationed almost for the entire day in MEC for both the AM & PM Team matches. I think I will put on our white "BC T-shirt" for easy identification. :) Hope at least some of our BC Forum members will do likewise but I'm not sure if any of them have or seen one before! :rolleyes:

Similarly on Mon for the Team Bronze and Gold Medals. This will be an exciting day and I'm looking forward to find out whether Malaysia is able to beat England by a convincing margin. Or will there be dark horses?

I intend to 'free' myself on Tue 21st to soak in the sights and enjoy the Arts Festival. Hope it will be breezy but sunny.

But on Wed morning, it will be back to normal at the MEC. I want to see for myself as many Commonwealth players as possible in their various colours, shapes and sizes during the Individual Singles and Doubles Elimination Round events. I think it will be a sight to behold and I hope they will don the most trendy and outrageous badminton attire. :D

Another two 'rest days' for me on Thur (23rd) and Fri (24th) to walk the streets of Melbourne or to play some social games with you and the rest of the 'gang' if possible. Maybe Kim (the organizer) can take note and I hope many of the others, especially hard-working officials Adelina, Maz and FEND, Tze yang and other BC members can make it. I have two of my regular local Sunday group badminton buddies, a couple, who have decided to join me the last minute and they will be around from 22nd to 26th. They love to play with us too.

And to culminate my short MCG visit, my Brisbane BC friend, kong-19, have managed to obtain the tickets for us to enjoy the Individual SF and Finals on Sat 25th and Sun 26th respectively.

Luckily for me the Finals are held in the morning and I hope to catch the probable "All-Malaysian MS Final" between Lee Chong Wei and Wong Choong Hann before I rush off for the airport to take-off at 4 pm for home.

There goes my 8 1/2 days sojourn in Melbourne. Till we meet again, adieu or in typical Australian, Goodbye MAIT! :p

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Hey, i would only bet on Uber cup matches AND when our canadian MD and MS get to compete in it :p :D

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I didn't know that Canada qualified for the Uber Cup in place of USA! If your guys are willing to wear skirts and put on makeup, nobody will know. :p

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I can wish though;)
    ------------------------------
    SG doing quite well

Commonwealth Games: Singapore pair win badminton mixed doubles game

MELBOURNE : Commonwealth Games badminton giants Malaysia and Singapore got their quest for gold medals off to a flying start on Thursday with a series of comfortable victories.

Singapore's Aaron Tan and Frances Fan Liu had the distinction of being the first athletes in action at the Games which were officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II at a glittering ceremony Wednesday evening.

Playing in the mixed team event, they overpowered the South African pair of Lance James and Claire Edwards 2-0 in the opening match in just 24 minutes.

"It was a tough game, it's always tough against Singapore. We need to learn from it," said Edwards.

Defending women's singles champion Li Li of Singapore, world ranked 17, was also on court, and easily brushed off the challenge of South Africa's Kerry-Lee Harrington in a singles match in the mixed team event.

Top seed Malaysia, which won nine badminton medals at the last Games in Manchester, is grouped with Sri Lanka, Northern Ireland and Fiji in the preliminary mixed team rounds.

Singapore plays Canada, Mauritius, South Africa and Jersey while defending champions England are pitted with India.

Each of the four groups play in a round-robin event over three days with the top two nations from each group going into the quarter finals.

Malaysia had an equally impressive start Thursday with the pairing of Wong Pei Tty and Chin Eei Hui demolishing minnows Fiji 2-0 in barely 15 minutes.

Women's world No.12 Wong Mew Choo of Malaysia needed less than 20 minutes to send Karyn Whiteside of Fiji packing in their showdown.

There were also wins in the morning session for New Zealand.

England, Australia and Canada are in action later Thursday.

The singles and doubles competitions are played next week. - AFP/ch

14. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Finally here!

Hi guys!

It's the first day! Really exciting to be here and saw a few great matches already! Saw Maz as well but haven't seen FEND or Twodogs yet! Will you two come and find me when you can as I have no idea where you guys are! I'll be sitting at where the media "tribunes" are sitting..where there's little tvs stationed for reporters to watch and write etc..Hope to see you guys soon!

A

15. Kim

Kim Regular Member

Application Integration Consultant
    Hi all,

Since Loh & Co will be available for social games on 23rd and 24th, we shall have the BF'ers gathering on either of those days depending on the numbers that could participate. I am proposing that we start at 8.00pm to accommodate those working BF'ers, especially Twodog. After the game, we will be having supper. The venue will probably be at MDBA Kilsyth but I will try to find a venue closer to Melbourne.

Please let me know if you are able to join us and the day you would prefer, 23rd or 24th.

For those that do not have transport, I could probably pack another 7 into my 'sardine can' (priority would be given to our overseas and interstate friends).

Currently, the participant are …

Kim
    Loh
    Loh’s buddies (couple)
    Kong-19

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thank you so much Kim for taking the initiative! :)

I just remembered that my two friends will be watching on Fri, 24th from 4.30 pm. As such, it may be better to fix our date on Thursday, 23rd so as not to dssappoint them.

I hope the rest of our BC members will be able to make it and to facilitate Kim's arrangements, please add your name to this list:

BC Melbourne Fun Gathering on Thur, 23rd March
    8 pm onwards

Attending:

Kim
    Kiong-19
    Loh
    David (Loh's friend)
    Yvonne (Loh's friend)
    Twodogs?
    FEND?
    Adelina76?
    Maz?
    Tze yang?
    LongReach?
    BadFever?
    jump-smash?
    Sudda?
    ErrBerr?
    Sabathiel?
    metalmon1188?
    badcliq?
    bamta?
    more...more...??? ;)

17. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    From Maz and Adelina

Hi guys,

Maz and I just looked at the 23rd, very bad time for us as that's the last of the preliminary rounds in the individual events which would no doubt end at some time like 11pm or something so no go. 24th is a bit better for both Maz and I as that's the quarterfinals and semi finals date and most likely everything will finish around 6:30 that day. Better still is the 25th (Friday) where it will be the Bronze medalists determination day and the play doesn't start until 4:30pm so we can play and meet anytime before hand. So let us know what you guys want to do, if it's the 23rd, most likely Maz and I can't come but we can make it if it's on the 24th or 25th.

Adelina and Maz

18. tze yang

tze yang Regular Member

World No. 3 In Outdoor Badminton
    Damn, 24th i'll finally be able to drive again but very very unfortunately im working on 24th and 25th nite till 1130pm and i cant ask to take those days off coz i just took this weeks fri sat off...lol and will be again the following week due to U19 tourny...lol(prob get fired soon)
    and also what lucky weekend it is its my birthday on 24th and im working...

Anyway so back to meeting up i guess if its 25th afternoon then mayb i could, i start work at 430 so if u guys are able to do it then, then i'll come if not i'll pass...
    for a nearer venue mayb SEBA in springvale?theres train there too...
    If you guys wana go out for a drink then we can make it 25th at 12am lol, after my work...
    Btw i might be goin to the quarters ive not decided yet if i do i'll try look for some of you guys

19. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    W00t!! I'm free on that Thursday night!!! Count me in!!!

Btw South Africa put up a good fight!!! Give them some credit man.

20. Twodogs

Twodogs Regular Member

Self Employed
    I can make it any night except a wednesday night....my local badminton comp stops for no man (or woman)!

I've just bought a ticket for today's 1400 session. I'll go back through my PM's and see how many phone numbers I have in the hope of catching up with someone.