Current training regime

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Cheung, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Interesting My objective is to redirect the shuttle so it is on a downward trajectory after passing the net or a flat (but not hard)push that passes just above the net both like that, are hard to kill.

2. lurker

lurker Regular Member

gem of a thread :) thanks Cheung

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

This is a moot point. I have been through a few injuries and don't want to risk another. If the game is at a lower level of social play, where the requirements are not that high, then I might continue. I don't do many of these sessions now. However, I must have been really bad that night for me to leave the court.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You can pay me first;) and I will try to pass it on....:)

What I am pleased about it those little tips on preparation that adversely affect the shot even before you get the shuttle.

For instance, the tip about keeping down with knees bent on the side step to rear court forehand. I didn't even realise I was standing up straight on the second side step.

The other is positioning the arm in the ready position when waiting for the 3rd shot.

Tiny things like that make the game disproportionately much easier because you don't have to fight to control the shuttle when you arrive to hit it. Your shots may or may not be better but you get to the shuttle much easier and people think you are faster around the court.

Fidget likes this.
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Let's do a quick review on my equipment. Last year, I was using a ZF2 3UG5. Have to say it's an excellent racquet. But I hurt my hand ligament and decided to change to 4u racquets.

I picked up a Astrox77 4u. The head is noticeably lighter. There are a few timing issues but I got them sorted. But during games, there is an issue. Lifts and clears don't quite go high enough on some situations. In doubles, I sometimes need to give the shuttle a bit more height to make the opponent move that extra step and sometimes give my partner and myself more time to set our defensive position.

I know @visor is a fan of 4u. But I don't quite get the same feeling out of it. Is there an environmental difference that affects our respective opinions?

So, I am going to change racquet again. I received the Adidas Überschall F5 earlier for review. (Need to get moving with that). I went through two phases of using it. The first time was ok. But after trying it again after the Astrox, it seems the racquet is actually better than my first impressions. My first impressions were done after my injury so perhaps I hadn't been able to put a proper assessment in. Suffice to say, I have ordered another Überschall F5....

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Hmmm... in fast level doubles, I don't lift nor clear much...

And I do tend to grip the racket handle all the way down to the butt...

But I do understand what you mean, I tried playing singles once with the 4U Astrox 77 and it was quite a bit of effort to clear repeatedly.

#246 visor, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You must be one of the top province players then. :)

8. visor

visor Regular Member

I may lift from the net (which doesn't require much power to get to baseline) or I may occasionally punch clear. But really, no troubles with a 4U slightly head heavy racket in level doubles. Now if I were to play XD or singles, then I'd reach for a heavier racket.

The faster reaction time I get from a lighter racket allows me to intercept, defend, and counter attack much better. Maybe it's my style of play.

9. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

This exchange demands a trans-pacific, badminton-physician show-down! ;)

Cheung and visor like this.
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Still things to learn.

This time we looked why I have some inconsistencies on my forehand side. Let's start simple first.

The play: Move to the right, go up for a jump (small one) smash on my forehand side. Problem: shuttle accuracy quite poor.

This is a bit different from the China jump to the rear court forehand side. In fact, even with that, I am sometimes a bit wild in the direction. Conversely, the round the head overhead smash is much more consistent in accuracy. The problem is that I jump too much diagonally outwards and upwards making it rather difficult to get the optimum hitting point for an accurate smash. In fact, there is no problem with technique. It's my footwork and movement. I need to go across more horizontally and then get a more vertical lift off (less diagonal). In order to do that, I have to push even harder with my left leg on the first step to move my body across an extra six inches or so. It helps, but my left leg gets a real workout. LOL.

Second problem is harder one to correct. Somehow I have ended getting used to playing a forecourt forehand quite close to my body (not stretching out). To make things worse, it's quite ingrained. The disadvantage is losing six to twelve inches of reach. We have worked on correcting this over a few sessions. When moving from the base, the direction is forward and to the right. Previously on the first step, my racquet arm would stay in the same position meaning the arm being cramped into the body. The correct movement is when I push off with my left leg to that area of the court, the arm and hand also simultaneously move forward in that direction. Thus, it's easier to reach the shuttle earlier. Sounds easy but training out the bad habit is harder

Another titbit is landing the right foot on the lunge. I am turning my foot inwards and that makes it harder to play a good shot because my body rotates to the left too much.

Strangely, my backhand side doesn't have the same issue.

DarkHiatus likes this.
  11. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I think on the forehand you have to be careful, if your arm is too stretched out you won't be able to lift very easily. Maybe you can get away with this more in doubles, but if you take a look at strong MS players, they usually play forehand shots quite close to their racket leg.

upload_2018-4-25_13-59-51.png

And his point of contact is here:

upload_2018-4-25_14-0-19.png

With backhand you can lift with basically just your hand, but this is much harder on the forehand I think.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The shot I am playing is taken at around tape height and cross court. Should have mentioned that before.

#252 Cheung, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  13. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Oh going for one of those, very sneaky. I'm not much good at doing those entirely from the wrist, I use more arm to do them. If I just use the wrist they land too deep in court (close to service line).

Do you want my right shoulder? I get a good 3-6 inches of extra reach off of that alone.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Ohh, this reminds me that the two coaches have a slightly different hitting technique of the shuttle for this cross court. One hits it like you describe using a bit more arm and guiding it over. The other teaches a very slight angled cut on the shuttle using the fingers and slight wrist plus forearm movement. This second one, when you get it right, makes the shuttle shoot off the strings very fast and with a flatter trajectory. It's to put more pressure on the opponents with the quality and speed of shot. The first one doesn't have that same type of speed - it sort of loops over the net.

I am trying to use the second one more. It really is a very good shot. I find the backhand side a little easier to get the result.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Another thing is that I am concentrating on doubles. All training is geared to doubles.

16. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Oh no, my coach did the one you're talking about, I just sucked at it haha. Gotta use what you got though right? I hate playing against the shot you're talking about though, makes me run the whole length of the net because it's just teasing coming over, but still hasn't begun to cross so I can't hit it.

Are you left handed or right handed?

Maybe this is just me, but in doubles when I play cross court I always try to do so away from their forehand, which makes the crosscourt on the backhand more useful.

17. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    All you need in doubles is drink 20 cans of Redbull and hit hard. The harder the better :mad:

Cheung likes this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Right hander .

I am taught to prepare for the cross court shot first as it is the fastest shot to play. By doing so, the racquet meets the shuttle at the very first instance. From this point, you can then have options of playing disguise shots. It is difficult to show your racquet for a straight shot and then suddenly play a cross court unless you drop the racquet head a lot (which would give the opponent a lot of time).

Haha .

Definitely an option. What has been happening is I over anticipate moving too early. That means getting caught out. I think that developed over a time when my legs got weaker after an injury. Trying to come back again meant I couldn't push off so well so in the end I tried to start moving earlier and then too early.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Eh? I find the reverse easier. That is, show straight and then do cross court. I'm seeing even the pros do this...

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Carry on then. Better to have an easier shot.

I was used to doing straight as well. Not sure really. After all, the coach is working with Choong Tan Fook. I'm just there to learn.