Cutting strings or breaking them?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by sautom88, Jul 18, 2017.

?

Do you mostly cut your strings or breaks them?

1. Mostly cut, hardly break them during games

37.5%
  2. 50/50

9.4%
  3. Mostly broken playing, hardly cut them

29.7%
  4. Never cut them, only restring when broken

23.4%
  1. decoy

decoy Regular Member

22 years old. Li Ning no. 1 at 26lbs. Snaps every week or two when I'm playing a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Man reading this makes me feel poor.
    I'm trying to find a string that is more durable; I am always complaining about the strings breaking too often! Yet meanwhile every other post has someone saying they decided to cut well before it breaks.
    The strings last about 24 hours of play. Is 24 hours a tension drop that is way too much for everyone?

I use lowish tension for my level.
    Bg65 at 28/29, or BG80 at 26
    Won a D grade level tournament, so I guess I am a C/C+ grade in HK.

3. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Everyone has different requirements of their equipment. There is nothing wrong with what you're asking for.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

4. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

The higher the tension, the longer the strings last sometimes because the fraying that happens at lower tensions is reduced. I'm using 28*30 with BG80P and rarely break it. Obviously, this is assuming you don't mishit too much. I usually cut anyways after about 25 hours or so because the tension drops quite a bit, it feels something like 26 lbs or so.

5. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Well with all the comments I'm getting, it does seem I should raise my tension up if no one else is breaking anything. I guess I will go up to 28 with bg80 and 30/31 with bg65 like everyone else and see how that goes, then decide

Right now I am wondering if it is due to my love of smashing that I am breaking them faster than everyone else, or if it is the 'lower tension'.
    Not convinced about the fraying theory although it is possible. Scientifically, I can't find a logical reason how a lower tension will lead to less breakage.

6. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    String movement at lower tensions is what dave010 is alluding to I believe.

dave010 and swsh like this.
  7. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

So the shear stress caused by movement to the vertical and horizontal strings are causing the damage? Again, possible, but I doubt it.

8. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    No, the stress caused on one point due to not having equal distribution of force which would occur if strings were making a perfect square on the sweet spot is causing it.

They move and one or two strings take the brunt of the impact.

9. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Lower tensions strings move far more on impact compared to higher tensions. It is a fact I know for sure from experience.

10. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Same. And most importantly, I have yet to see many players correct their strings after each rally so it takes a toll on the durability part.

11. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

If you prefer to have maximum power for smashes, I think you might prefer a tension around 27-28 lbs. Higher seems to lack the same "snap" in my experience.

My strings rarely snap out of the blue. I get notching and fraying at the intersections, which eventually snaps. This is quite bad at lower tensions. If I play BG66UM at 22 lbs, the fraying gets bad at around 10 hrs and probably broken around 15-20.

12. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

The strings moving more in itself does not explain the damage (unless by shear as I mentioned or unless you have another suggestion), but I don't know what is.
    The part where the stress is not distributed evenly seems to make some sense I guess. That being said, the cork is probably big enough to cover any 'square' that is turned into a rectangle by 2 millimeters.

I notice a slight movement in strings once in a while at 26 lb, not much. Lol, I certainly won't go into insane territory (over 28lbs on a non bg65 string). Anything over, almost all warranties are dead, and by watching the bwf channel I have seen enough strings breaking from those tensions. As you mentioned, I am probably going to produce less power too.

13. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Eh warranties aren't dead if you know what to do afterwards. There are a few tricks shops can use.

And if they snap just scissor them to release tension quickly. I'd consider 38 insane territory and 30-32 "nice". You don't lose an insane amount of power BUT you don't have to prestrech the crap out of your strings and they'll stay livelier longer.

dave010 likes this.
  14. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

It's not shear, but just plain ol friction between the main and cross strings. The rubbing eventually leads to notching and fraying. Alot of the strings breaking in tournaments appear to be mishits or bad grommets, since many breaks are at the top of the frame.

15. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I'm 41, using Victor and Excalibur rackets both strung at 27. I never cut the strings. I end up breaking the strings regularly enough that I don't need to cut. One time I was gonna after maybe 3 months play with no breakage and my coach told me to not waste my money. (Which is weird because I would be "wasting" it at his court. But in general he's against cutting strings just from a financial point of view. He figures if you play a lot, you'll break them, and if you don't play a lot then no need to keep the tighest tension.)

16. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

In my experience, strings feel dead after just 2-3 weeks and the tension drops by about 3 lbs. That's a bit much if you play at 29-30 lbs.

swsh likes this.
  17. visor

visor Regular Member

Once the feel is gone (usually after 20 hrs play with GT5 at 28 lbs), there is no more joy from the numbness and loss of repulsion... I have to cut it. It's just part of the cost of playing badminton.

#37 visor, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  18. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

In fact, my DZS was strung yesterday at 29 lbs and today stringster only shows 25 lbs. I knew it, since the touch I had yesterday was pretty much all gone :(. Does anyone know if BG80 lasts longer than BG80 Power? Strings seem to get looser much more quickly on my DZS than my other racquets.

19. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Same stringer? Sounds like that one incident with bad knots I had.

20. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

Nope, different stringer, which makes me wonder about the racquet itself. My ZF2 is still at 27 ish, and it was strung back to back with my DZS.