Day 7 : TC semi 1 : CHINA vs INDONESIA (May 5, 1pm)

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006' started by kwun, May 3, 2006.

1. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    i've heard PBSi will look for a new sponsor , not only just yonex, the money will be used to send more players in many tournaments, that's the 1st step from PBSI

2. chika

chika Regular Member

student
    did anybody see the second match between fu/cai n luluk/alven..?? fu's using some kind of codes.. is that allowed in badminton??

3. Darth Andrianus

Darth Andrianus Regular Member

Student
    Yes, these codes are allowed and are in fact used all the time at all levels. I was watching the matches live and the commentator discussed a question from a caller asking what exactly these finger gestures mean. Apparently, these codes are used to tell the partner where exactly he is going to serve to. There are six possible spots the server can serve to and he wants to warn the partner in advance where he is going to serve. Not sure where the six are, I think they are the four corners and where the singles line meets the doubles line.

4. chika

chika Regular Member

student
    ohh.. i thought theyr cheating.. kk..:D :D

5. taufik-ist

it administrator
    mightbe they were hypnotized alven/luluk :p

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

well, if that's true, then that's a good first step...i think that's the most feasible way they can do start(just like how they did it back in the 80s and 90s)..however, i will believe it when PBSI actually *do it*, not just "talk"...btw, taufik-ist, would you mind telling us where you got the news' source??..thx:)

7. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    It is not sponsorship that is a problem but rather how the money will be managed. Somebody got to make sure that the money is probably channel into youth development and not "property investment" or whatever else.

There are definitely a lot of youngsters in Indonesia that need the opportunity.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, that is very true..But reality is, how will the money be managed if there is very little or none at all. First thing first...Realistically now, PBSI *is not* in the same situation as 10-20 yrs. ago..I think they are *truly* in need of "financial support"..When Suharto was still INA President, PBSI was in their "glory days" as i'm sure there are many private sponsors/companies sponsoring PBSI...but not anymore..:rolleyes: :p

9. taufik-ist

it administrator
    president of ina must use his 'iron' hand to surpress ina private companies to support badminton :D

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

INA lacked preparation for the new 21pt rally system

If anyone's interested, got an article to share with you guys from today's(May 7th,06) edition of Jawapos..
    http://jawapos.com/index.php?act=detail_c&id=224819

The article interviewed Lutfi Hamid, a former team manager of INA's Thomas & Uber Cup teams, who gave his impression of the recent INA Thomas squad's failure..

He basically said, in terms of players, China is definitely better. They have players who are ranked better than Indonesia. But, actually it has been happening recently. He said there are a few reasons for INA team's failure:
    First, was the preparation. He said the INA team hasn't played in any game like simulation of the 21pt rally. When in fact, it was an important factor for the player's adaptation. That kind of game-like simulation was performed for a long time, including when they won the Thomas Cup in Guangzhou 2002. Whilst at that time, the Thomas Cup used a 9x5 scoring system, but they were able to accomplished everything. But the most important was the extended period of practice time in Pelatnas.
    Basically he is saying for Thomas Cup, there needs to be a special practice time dedicated for training, outside of the regular training session at Pelatnas. "It is a special event which requires a lot of teamwork. It doesn't have to take a long time, six months is enough" he added.==>(I guess this yr's CHN's Thomas & Uber teams really proved their success by their special training session in Guangzhou).
    He then ended the interview by answering the question whether INA still has a chance to win in 2 yrs. He said "Yes, the chance is definitely there. All players who have participated in Japan can still be called upon, incl. Taufik Hidayat. Also Sony Kuncoro, Simon Santoso, and the MD pairs of Alven/Luluk and Markis/Hendra. And especially INA will be playing in their own homecourt."

#690 ctjcad, May 7, 2006
    Last edited: May 7, 2006
  11. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

Badminton undergoes makeover in Japan [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Primastuti Handayani, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta
    Like a teenage girl trying to attract the attention of the boy next door, badminton underwent some makeovers during the just-concluded Thomas/Uber Cup championships in Japan to try to lure more viewers and media.

The most glaring change was, of course, the shuttlers' new uniforms.
    Take a look at Olympic and world champion Taufik Hidayat's shirt. He no longer needs to roll up his sleeves -- he doesn't have them.
    Wearing the latest designs from Japan-based sports apparel maker Yonex, the Indonesian ace and his compatriots wore black sleeveless shirts with thick red lines on the chest.
    Nice outfit, quite fashionable... but it didn't help them achieve their goal of reaching the Thomas Cup final. Indonesia bowed out to defending champion China in the semifinals, in accordance with predictions.
    Did the new uniforms affect their performance? Listen to Indonesia's second singles Sony Dwi Kuncoro: "I feel awkward wearing it... it's too cold inside the stadium, so we have to wear our jacket," he said.
    The Chinese girls, on the other hand, looked nice in their yellow sleeveless shirts, with a thin Shanghai collar, and greenish grey skirts. No more old-fashioned T-shirts and shorts.
    Whether fashion has anything to do with it or not, Li Yongbo's girls managed to hold onto the Uber Cup for a record fifth consecutive time.
    Enough with the fashion.
    Next comes the scoring system. The International Badminton Federation (IBF) announced Saturday that it would stick with the new best-of-three rally-point scoring system despite resistance from players.
    The reason? The IBF hopes the new system will shorten the matches and make badminton more appealing to the media, in particular TV.
    "The time of the game is more predictable, it's not as long as before. That means you can be sure the game is over in 40 minutes, 20 minutes. That's very important for television coverage," said IBF Vice President Punch Gunalan.
    What did the players say?
    "I don't like it. I don't understand why the IBF always tries to change the rules," said Taufik, who was named 2005 player of the year by the IBF.
    "Under the new format, there's not an exciting situation, and spectators don't like it either. The game has become monotonous.
    "Previously they tried to introduce a seven-point system. Why can't they stick to the same rules like tennis? Of course, sponsors and television are important, but they should also think about the players," he added.
    He was right.
    Look at Danish doubles team Jens Erikssen and Martin Lundgaard Hansen battling Malaysia's Chan Chong Ming and Koo Keen Kiat in the second game of the semifinals. The Danish pair had to put on long rallies before taming the Malaysians 30-28. It was like a never-ending rally... tack... tack... tack....
    The shuttlecock moved here and there, and there was no more beauty in the game. The speed-and-power shuttlers will definitely love it, but what about those stylish, crafty players?
    Players like 1996 Olympics champion Poul-Erik Hoyer-Larsen, 2001 world champion Hendrawan and Danish ace Peter Gade build up their attacks beautifully, waiting for the right moment to launch their powerful smashes.
    With no rush to score, these shuttlers create suspense for the viewers with their combinations of lobs, drives, dropshots and smashes.
    The new scoring system also drew criticism from female shuttlers, who had to play in an 11-points-a-game system.
    "The duration of a match in women's singles has become longer. Even if you have a weak opponent, it's not any shorter and you need more physical strength. I'm against it," said world champion Xie Xingfang of China.
    Athens Olympic gold medalist Zhang agreed, saying: "You have to keep your concentration longer and it's physically tougher, regardless of your opponent. I feel a match has become longer than before." The decision has been made. Let's see if the makeovers help badminton attract more viewers and sponsors at the World Championships in Madrid in September.
    [/FONT]