Does anyone inspire to be a national team player?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Biogentic, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Biogentic

Biogentic Regular Member

student
    be it reserve or player, have anyone inspire to be one? I have just that my mentality and determination is very strong that i feel i am inferior than others when playing badminton... hee sorry not boasting... how abt u all?

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    Personally i've aspired to be an International player. I'm not going to give up. Although i am 20 years of age. As long as i have the heart and as long as i am given the oppurtunity i will practice and play my heart out. Never give up on your dreams.

Aim for the moon if you miss you'll be among the stars.

Cheers,
    Nick

3. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Wow... I agree with you nock abot the moon and star thing... =P

Actually last time i really wants to be one... but it seems that i dun have the chance and my parents dun allow me... And my age is not that young anymore....
    Though i dun have the chance but i still luv to play.... and follow the worldwide badminton news... =) and if have chance to watch the match itself...

Wish u all the best k guys!!!

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you do aspire to be a very good player, it is all the more important that you get the right training from a coach at an early stage.

There are many players in US, UK, Australia who do not have access to facilities that are available in S'pore (coaches, classes, venues). These people always wish they could have started the game at an earlier stage with the right direction.

5. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

True! It is like learning Grammer in english. Never rule out the Idea of a coach. It is easier to mould a younger person than an Old guy.When i mean a coach i am talking abt a certified decent one or someone with decent abilities and Knowledge of teh game.

SO if u are young 10-12 yrs and want to start go see a coach now and shift coaches if u believe u are outgrowing ur coach as well...

Best of luck. Prac makes perfection. Work hard and U will get it. The game is all abt Movement at the Initial stages. It will take a lot of time to get good movement..

6. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Yes, I agree that we need to start at very young age to be able to be a GOOD player.. guess those international palyers starts from very young.. around 7-8 years old... Parents' support is needed too..

7. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Sigh.

If only I had started even two years earlier than I did. I started when I was 15, I am now 16. I have, in my mind rapidly improved, beating people in tournaments that have played years longer than I have. But no matter how well I do, I know in the back of my mind that it's too late to excel as a junior. I may do well in, say, ten years in tournaments, but not now as a junior. The good kids just have more experience and real coaching.

I have to move up to the next age category this coming season, so it will be very hard to prove my worth even in provincial competition. The fact that there is no professional coaching in my area does not help.

Phil

8. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    Grammer heheheheheh, I beleive its grammar. Anyway..

I would love to become better at badminton and compete with the best. Though I just started 2 years ago and I beleive I am at intermediate level I think that if I begin player more ofter (Now playing on a weekly basis and soon twice a week) I can get better with experience.

9. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    When i lived in Malaysia i started at the age of 7 but when i moved to Canada i stopped for about 4 years and only picked up competitive badminton when i was 16. Alot of years lost. But my motto is it's never too late. It just depends how determined you are. Badminton is my passion and i'll do whatever i can to do well.

Cheers,
    Nick

10. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Then Good Luck and all the best to you Nick!!!!

11. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    Thanks sporty the same goes for you. Don't give up :).

Cheers,
    Nick

12. Biogentic

Biogentic Regular Member

student
    To me i believe that once u have the great skill and alot of determination and power in playing, u will sure to beat any player u seen on the court.

13. Biogentic

Biogentic Regular Member

student
    i wonder why your parent do not allow u to play badminton? I guess they have their own reason too? iszit because that u r over addicted that u need to play everyday and neglect your study or iszit because your mother dun like u to go out and always want u to stay at home?

14. shabs

shabs Regular Member

hi guys
    i believe that its never too late
    & better late than never
    so as long as u're determined & persistant nothing can stop u

shabs

15. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Its just that they think i'd better concentrate in study.... =P they feel that badminton wont make me go far.... tahts why i didnt hvae the chance.... but i always follow any international tournaments... if possible make frens with the players and coaches as well.. so that i can learn more also from them... like now.. i dun realy play badminton that much... busy with study... but my passion for this sport is still burning.. and i really enjoy to be past of this forum.. cos in some badminton forums taht i join.. they dun really talk about BADMINTON.. =P

16. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    Badminton is also a very low paying pro sport.

17. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Its true... but actually if u have passion for it.. money doesnt really matter... But... sometimes we need to think about it... We need money to live right?? its a fact!!

18. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    I would rather have a low paying sport. A passion in life is very hard to find. It's even harder to find a career that you're passionate about. So far i have not had a job i am willing to take up at 4 in the morning however with badminton i'm willing to get up in the morning to train and prepare. It all depends on your perspective.
    Good luck guys.

Cheers,
    Nick

19. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    I believe its "aspire"

20. modious

modious Regular Member

I will disagree with this.
    If that's the case, then International Players don't need the ranking system.... but players do rise and fall don't they??

Of course, you can be extremely difficult to beat if you've:

Good Footwork ( Fast and Stable)
    Great Stamina
    Good Racket Skills
    Great Determination
    Great Mentality (Mental Toughness)
    Consistency (Accuracy)
    Good court awareness
    Tatical Knowledge and Applying it in game
    Not Injury Prone or having the ability to quickly recover skills and prerequisites if took long break due to injury or for any other reason.
    Intelligence in terms of :
    1: Ability to quickly identify opponent’s strength, weakness, style and be able to modify game accordingly.
    2: Ability to identify own mistakes and be able to quickly fix it.
    3: Ability to plan and execute a clear effective strategy against opponent.

And it also helps if you've THAT natural talent!