Figured out why i can’t get squared up

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by om patel, Aug 27, 2022.

1. om patel

om patel Regular Member

So was watching the usual daily 6 hours per day badminton coaching videos and came across a video that shows you should move your LEFT foot infront after your ready position jump instead of the RIGHT going back first to get squared up better for smash/clears

This is the reason why I cant never seem to square my shoulders rite MY coach always told me Im not squaring up rite but never told me move the left foot infront first instead of right foot back. ….just to show you how coaching in india is far way behind then other countries. ( I am currently going to the best academy in my city)

can someone who understands why explain this to me
    And why its better then right foot back first ? Is this for clears , drops and smashes ? And all situations or is right foot back first better in other situations??

here the link its at 2:30 minutes

#1 om patel, Aug 27, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
  2. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

While mentioning something about a footwork or method related to going back or turning, you ask "Is this for clears , drops and smashes ?"

Any footwork or method that gets you into a ready position, should allow you to hit a clear or drop or smash, because the opponent shouldn't know which one you will hit. If you had one footwork for a clear and another for a smash and another for a drop, then your opponent might know which shot you were going to play! Likewise with the ready position. And many good players will have everything looking the same until just before they hit it, so that their good opponent that is good at reading the opposition, can't read it.

3. intrepid

intrepid Regular Member

Ah, you mean the scissor jump? Yes, that gives you more power for clears and smashes. But as ralphz said you should use the same footwork also when you are just going to play a drop shot. That will make it harder for your opponent to see what you are up to, and at the same time fluently gets you in a good position for taking the next shot.

Edit: indeed, this should normally be one of the basic footwork patterns taught to everybody picking up a racket (though it may take a while to master, especially when learning as adult)

4. om patel

om patel Regular Member

Thanks for the replies ! No i do understand the scissor kick and all but what i was saying is

in the video the student moves his RIGHT foot back and then he correct his student at 2:30 he the trainner does the ready position jump then moves his LEFT foot forward while keeping the RIGHT a but steady to square up then moves back … I and usually thought you do ready position then move right foot back first to get in a squared up position with the shuttle .

Simeon likes this.
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Seriously, it really depends on how the shuttle is coming to you and how you need to go to the shuttle. When moving to different areas of the court backwards, the first step can be different.

6. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

He gave a timeframe and a video. What do you think about the scenario where the player is in the position that the guy is in the video he linked to, and the shuttle comes to the area of the court that the shuttle was fed to in that video? The scenario is from the centre of the court. And he is not talking about moving diagonally to the FH corner, and he's not talking about moving diagonally to the RTH corner. And he's not moving far back 'cos it's an easy feed)

Around 2:25 in the video,

[​IMG]

The coach there says "You shouldn't do that"!!

Then the coach does some kind of demonstrations that I think are the coach trying to say that instead of just taking the racket foot back, to be in the ready position, to do a chasse type move to turn and be in the ready position. (When the coach demonstrates it he, the coach, literally plants the non racket foot down on the floor, though I don't think that's what the coach is actually trying to say to do.. I think the coach wants the non racket foot to come in a bit in a chasse movement , since the coach likens it to some other shots he chasses to, and when the player does the movement more like a chasse than the coach is fine with it)

And when the player does the racket foot back having first taken the non racket foot in a bit, he ends up looking like

[​IMG]

I'm curious to know what you think but I think maybe in both cases he's similarly side on to the shuttle?

If the OP is thinking that he(The OP) didn't get side on because he didn't move his non-racket foot in, like a chasse, then I don't think the OP is correct there. ;cos it is possible to do the step back while not being planted on the non-racket foot and to let the non-racket foot pivot a bit, and the player is doing that well at 2:25 though the coach prefers more of a chasse style of turn.

I can imagine that maybe the OP is doing what the player is doing at 2:25 but he (The OP) is not letting the front foot pivot, so the OP isn't turning as much as the player manages at 2:25 There's two solutions for the OP, one is to turn as well as the player does at 2:25 (though the coach doesn't like that), and the other is to do the turn with a little chasse. Note that we're not talking about a chasse to get more distance.

I think some people might even do a turn like a bounce with both feet at the same time. What do you think?

And what do you think re 2:25 vs 2:45?

om patel likes this.
  7. om patel

om patel Regular Member

Thank you! You worded it way better LOL

I tried both at home just the footwork and i think I get a more sideways position to hit the shuttle with the left non racket foot moving forward first then Moving the racket feet back first . But its a bit weird feeling doing it this way because it seems like a extra step or something cant point it out probably just have to form memory muscle and do it 100000 times.

have to try it out tomorrow during practice on multi feed sessions.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Exactly so. And that is covered by the ‘it depends how the shuttle is coming to you’

To be honest, both are OK if you are able to judge where the optimal position is underneath the shuttle. The important point is that the left and right foot will point out to the right side. You will see many people position themselves with one or both feet pointing forwards or diagonally forwards - this position doesn’t allow easy use of the hips in the stroke.

can be done but remember to have the right foot pointing to the right side of the court when it’s on the ground and the left foot also turns to the right. That would make your ‘squared’ position look much better.

om patel likes this.
  9. om patel

om patel Regular Member

Just came back from practice,
    Its very hard to implement this small things into your multi shuttle practice!
    I am having issues of not being able to get under the shuttle , im hitting it to the right front corner of me and not directly above.
    coach and I are working on it . Thinking im taking
    Joining a academy isnt a joke at 38 years old
    BUT I LOVE PRACTICE more then playing .
    I wont leave this academy till I can dominate local tournaments 40+ age groups I have two years to get to that level. BRING IT!

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Very common issue. Lots of practice over a year or so.

This other forum member has the same issue.

https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...ork-on-but-where-should-i-start-first.184410/

If you look in later posts, I think he has a clip of practicing overhead strokes with a shuttle hanging down on a string.

The other exercise is to practice shadow strokes next to a wall. Stand with your right side close to a wall and then do an overhead swing. If your racquet hits the wall, you know the swing can be better positioned.

The good thing is, you can practice these at home as well. You don’t always need a badminton court.

11. om patel

om patel Regular Member

Already have a bridie hanging from my ceiling in my living room which i spend multiple hours just swinging away! As well as my four year Who loves to hit it (tied it up all professionally)

Will try the wall as well! Thanks !!

Simeon likes this.
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Nice. Is the shuttle high enough that you have to tip toe and stretch up to reach it?

om patel likes this.
  13. om patel

om patel Regular Member

Not tip toes . But if i fully reach up from underneath its in the middle of my string bed . Should i put it as you said ? I made it so it’s adjustable with wall hooks at different levels and all… LOL

14. om patel

om patel Regular Member

I think its more of a footwork issue or something where im moving away from the shuttle when he feeds me clears/smashes and not positioning myself under it by taking to little/to big of steps which has me hitting it from the right front corner usually .

#14 om patel, Aug 30, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  15. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Maybe they aren't feeding it straight. (feeding it straight is not a skill that comes easily as it tends to not be taught). Even if you ask many very good players to lift it high and straight down the centre line they can be off quite a bit 'cos it's not really a badminton shot that is taught. e.g. a high serve in badminton has quite a wide margin in the x axis.

Try asking them to feed the shuttle as straight as possible.. If you want you could use the centre line as a guide then straight down the centre line.

And you can stand so that when you go back and ready to hit it, your prep will be ready to hit a shuttle down the centre line. Practise it a bit before they feed it.

Now you know where you are going and that you can get there.

Now see if they are hitting it there.

A=You're moving straight
    B=They're hitting it straight down the centre line.

It might be that A=False and B=false. Or A=True and B=false, or A=false and B=true or A=True and B=True

See which it is and how off it is..how much variation is there..

Once you know what's going on then you can try to come up with some plan for what to do..

I think what most people do, is they either stand at the back and do some kind of footwork to hit it.

Or, they learn how to move back to get behind a high shuttle whether it's a bit to the left or a bit to the right. They look at the trajectory of the shuttle and learn the footwork to get it when it's high and a bit to one side or a bit to the other side. That's something important to learn.

Or you could watch the shuttle, and let's say you know you can move back straight 'cos you've practised it.. and maybe you can go back a bit to one side or the other and get in the same back behind it position. And if it's way off from where you can get to then just leave it. If eg it's outside of the footwork that you are trying..

What i'm saying isn't necessarily all conventional but if it makes sense to you then you could try it. A great thing about a forum is people can state if they differ or have other ideas.

not sure if anybody here would think that's feasible for anybody?!

#15 ralphz, Aug 30, 2022
    om patel likes this.
  16. Ffly

Ffly Regular Member

What's important is that you get behind the shuttle and hit it with body rotation with your weight going forward.

How you move your feet then depends on your position. In that specific exercise that he did (video), he had to drive forehand first then smash and the mistake that he did is that he was not effectively behind the shuttle so he smashed but with his weight going backward (he did have body rotation, but kinda "in place" and not forward)

Starting with left or right foot first just depends on circumstances.

om patel likes this.
  17. om patel

om patel Regular Member

Thank you !!!! I really appreciate it!

Can someone help me with my
    Birdie setup

The user above stated it should be tip toes and stretch out position
    but my set up is just a stretch out from
    Below the bird and the bird is in the middle of the bed string .

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The higher you reach the shuttle on court, the more advantageous it is.

The hanging shuttle from height exercise needs the shuttle placed higher to encourage your whole body (including legs and feet) to stretch upwards to hit the shuttle. Otherwise you get used to holding the racquet higher and limiting your potential to go up to the shuttle on court. At your present shuttle height, it will be too easy to have the heels of your feet on the ground.

Do bear in mind that the tiptoe with stretch up height is an intermediate training aid to ultimately lifting your whole body off the ground to hit the shuttle.

Clears, smashes and drops shots are better (more consistent and more threatening to the opponent) when you coordinate your body to go up to meet the shuttle when it is dropping towards you. There is a reason why you see top players including the women jump up to reach the shuttle. :)

Since your aim is to get to tournament level, you might as well start by training some important basic foundation early - using your whole body to go up to meet the shuttle in the air is part of that.

Regular advanced players will hit the shuttle slightly higher than the middle of the string bed.

EAA32E92-8566-465D-B322-2BA82AE67BE9.jpeg

#18 Cheung, Aug 30, 2022
    BadmintonDave likes this.
  19. om patel

om patel Regular Member

LOVELY explanation! I really appreciate it
    THANK YOU X 100000

20. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

If you want people to lift their body off the ground and hit the shuttle then what happens if you just tell people to jump (not necessarily wildly high), and hit the shuttle, do they jump without ever going on their tip toes?

In the case of e.g. a block jump, so a shot flat into the forehand rear corner that they reach in good time, then because of the name of the movement, the player is pretty much told to jump and they seem to manage the jump part ok.. without being told to just go on their tip toes and eventually (maybe unintentionally) they'll end up in the air.

Putting aside e.g. people doing the high jump, If we take as an example, the junior player in the picture you included Where she is leaning over to the non-racket side and having her racket pointing up into the air, like viktor axelson.. Would she have learnt that from going on her tip toes and then eventually as a positive unintended event, finding herself in the air, or would she have learnt it from intentionally jumping? e.g. Don't people know how to jump if told to jump such that their feet are off the ground? And if they don't know how, then is the way they learn how to get their feet off the floor, to tell them to go on their tip toes?

I do think the "tip toes" thing , (which I suppose here is really, going onto the balls of the foot, and a little in the air, hitting it, and landing on the balls of the foot ?) , is useful.. because eg it helps with the footwork, as it provides a bit of bounce that helps for more quickly initiating the recovery to base footwork.

Some may argue that it helps as a cue to reach the arm out or up , but I think it's good to have the ability to reach the arm out or up even if one wasn't doing that. And a lot of that is also swing and shuttle related timings.

I think i've seen them sometimes go onto the ball of their foot and even in the air then land and then hit it though I haven't really looked into that one yet.

And with a scissor kick both feet are off the floor but it's typically not for height. If it were to be described as a jump then maybe jumping forward (and sometimes on the spot or even backwards) on the racket foot while using hips for forward momentum?

Well, they often don't

If you watch this return of high serve. at 7:49

Would you say that Yagamuchi's non-racket foot stayed on the floor while she hit the shuttle? 7:49 seems like it to me and so I wouldn't say she jumped.

https://www.youtube.com{{FORWARD SLASH}}watch?v=5ZdAT7cId9g&ab_channel=MobileBadminton

[​IMG]

There are other shots from the rear court where both feet are on the floor, but I picked return of high serve because nobody can say the player didn't have time.

Also it seems to me like maybe the pro players often(or more than often), put a priority on being comfortable and well positioned and controlled, and are often OK with taking it later. which usually means not jumping high.. And sometimes even hitting it with feet on the floor or with feet barely off the floor or maybe if they think there's no point trying to go for or threaten a potential winner smash or killer stop drop, then they might not jump.

In these cases of the return of high serve, I suppose they're hitting a controlled consistent shot and not trying to go for a winner on that shot. But setting the opponent up or aiming to eventually set the opponent up, to make an error or give them a good opportunity to hit a winner.. And doing that and hitting controlled consistent shots is an important skill in raquet sports, I even saw a good pickleball coaching video with a former womens tennis player discussing that concept really clearly.

I've also heard of some older former pro players that aren't super fast, hitting it lower wider and behind them and they can put their opponent under lots of pressure 'cos they're already near the centre and recovered. Even if one says that's a very advanced thing, I think it's good to know that that's possible.

Though returning the high serve without jumping up into the air, isn't a super advanced thing.

#20 ralphz, Aug 31, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2022