General guide to arm and shoulder injury and prevention

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bigredlemon, Mar 6, 2004.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

The first thing you should do is make sure you are exercising in a manner that is not damaging to your rotator cuff. They are weak and slow to heal.

Upright rows should generally be avoided. There's exercises that hit the delts alot more effectively. Upright rows also forces your arms into most vulnerable position in the socket, which makes getting injured very easily.

For bench press, keep the elbows inward to minimize rotator cuff strain.

As for healing:
    - heat packs will bring more blood to the area so it's a good idea.
    - avoid lifting weights and badminton for a month and it'll go away.
    Takes about 3 months to fully heal IIRC. Keep pushing it and it'll become a permanent injury. (Which is why many tennis players require shoulder surgery.)

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Take a long break. Just because you aren't feeling pain doesn't mean it's healed. It takes 2 months from when the pain stops to fully heal, so if you're aggrevating it as soon as the pain stops, then it'll almost never go away.

3. liew19

liew19 Regular Member

Does it felt like dislocation.....something like dislocation...??

It seem like having a dislocated joint,but, it is not dislocated joint. It felt like something "pop" out and then "po" back again, then, the shoulder sore but no inflamation......this is wat my injury felt like.....so, is it impingement syndrome?

4. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    tricep injuries?

hey BRL - any info on tricep injuries.. i was worried i was getting tennis elbow, but from your notes i'm pretty much ruling that out.. the pain is pretty much through the tricep muscle, a little worse as i get closer to the elbow - but it comes and goes, usually after a bad smash. sort of a like a dull throbbing pain, deep heat and stretching helps a great deal, but if i pull it during a match, smashing isn't an option.

any thoughts?

5. lsk_rulez

lsk_rulez Regular Member

My rotator cuff injuty is 95% healed

Some of you may remember me asking about rotator cuff injury treatments a few months ago. I looked and searched long and hard, high and low for a cure. Tried almost everything, even considered acupuncture. Got an MRI only to be told the thing I already knew.

I am happy to share that my injury is healing nicely.

The two things that really helped my case were:

1. Broomstick strecthing - do a google search on this

2. I accidentally stumbled upon this exercise: I was carrying a heavy bag, and had to use my injured arm due to the circumstances. I remembered thinking to myself: I am going to tear the tendon right off, so better be careful. I lifted the bag (about 25 pounds in weight), being very careful not to swing the bag as I walked.

Basically, I was holding the bag by its handle, let it hang to my side, slightly away from my body so it won't rub my leg. Because of the weight, I had to tense my arm muscle a little bit to stabilise the bag. I was very careful to avoid the position that would cause pain to my shoulder/arm such as swinging the bag in front of me, etc. After a few hundred feet (it was a long walk), I started feeling the burn/fatique on my arm muscles, but felt no pain. I kept on going. Lo and behold, when I finally put down the bag, my shoulder felt really good. Literally, my tendonitis got about 50% better in that 10 min of carrying the bag. I regained a lot of the flexibility and mobility of the shoulder.

I kept doing similar exercise everyday by carrying my 9lbs laptop plus all its accessories and lunch box using my arm instead of using the shoulder strap when going to work for the next few weeks. Now I can say that my shoulder has 95% recovered from this exercise. The only pain I felt was when doing a backhand smash, and only a slight one at that. My doubles partner commented on how well I played lately. No ****. Being able to swing the racket without fear of pain has a lot to do with it.

I am glad I stumbled upon this exercise. I was considering going to a physical therapy before, but now I am well enough not to worry about it.

I think the key is to train the muscles around the tendons, without imflamming the tendons. My doctor's advice is: do not do anything that feels painful. It will damage your tendon even more.

My advice to you with rotator cuff injuries is to get a professional physical therapy ASAP. Your injury may not be the same as mine, and the exercise above may not work for you.

6. j_e_thompson

j_e_thompson Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Thanks bigredlemon for posting all this information. It is really helpfull.

Kwun, could this be made sticky?

7. Glacyus

Glacyus Regular Member

I'm mainly posting to find if there are others with a situation similar to mine. First off, I do not believe it to be an injury, as I've had it since puberty as far as I can remember. Most of my joints tend to make a popping noise when I move them past a certain point. My right shoulder, which happens to be my playing arm, has this problem most magnified. If I lift my arm in front of me in a straight line, I can actually feel the point where lifting further is heavily opposed by the joint. Passing this point, I feel a shift in the shoulder and slight pain as I can again lift my arm further. This condition is not noticeably painful unless I insist on this motion, and furthermore, seems to rarely manifest, much less impede in daily activities including badminton. Seems that a wider arc in moving my arm precludes this barrier point I feel in range of motion. Only time I am clearly affected is if I do front shoulder lifts with dumbells, lifting them beyond this point which is slightly higher than parallel to the ground. I've asked a general practicioner what it might be during a regular check-up, and he was really vague, concluding basically that a lot of people have similar problems with varying degrees of seriousness, and that it doesn't evolve into an issue for most.

Just curious to find out if others share this ailment, and perhaps get some more info on it.

8. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Definite Sticky material

Thanks Bigredlemon, this stuff is comprehensive and clear.

This is exactly what I suffered from for SEVEN years:crying:

I thought I was just getting old and suffering fatigue from smashing too much. So I bought lighter rackets, smashed less, and used everything I could to treat my shoulder muscles.

Then I finally got around to seeing a physiotherapist and after two weeks, I was completely cured. It felt so fantastic to be completely pain free and be able to smash as hard I want without any worries.

Like you said in your post, the problem was solved by stabilising the shoulder so that the joint wouldn't rub and become inflamed. It had nothing to do with my arm or deltoid muscles being sore.

Anyway, I wish I'd read your post years earlier and saved me a lot of pain.

Great job!

9. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    thank you very much, very helpful.

unfortunately, I can only gain from the prevention... smashing seems to have brought me a bicep tear, which is a bit more unusual in this sport, I think.

10. spicynudles

spicynudles New Member

Software Test Analyst
    Hi there,

I played cricket last season in the UK, after 13 years gap. Did some warmup and in the first week, I was ok with batting. Next I just got my chance to bowl. By the time I finished the 4th ball, there was severe pain in the right forearm between the wrist and the elbow.

Before this I had been playing badminton once a week for about 6-8 months. Everything was ok. After this cricket match, this peculiar pain remained. I could not lift small things by arm strength. I could not hang clothes in the wardrobe. I felt the arm falling off kind of experience.

Finally went and saw the doctor. She recommended an X-Ray. The X-Ray showed no bones broken/fractured. So she prescribed a cream MOVELAT for pain relief. But I was feeling the pain only when I did some lifting activity and not otherwise.

So, after looking up the symptoms on the web, I suspected it to be tennis elbow. I stopped playing and limited myself to small activities on the paining arm. Early this month, I was feeling perfectly normal, so decided to play badminton again.

I just took one serve and that's it. The pain came back and I felt my arm had lost control. There was shooting pain.

So, I stopped playing immediately. Haven't had the chance to see the doctor yet. Meanwhile, I came across this forum. Found it very informative.

Can anyone please tell me, what exactly is my problem? It's the area 2 inches below the elbow, back of my arm that pains. I'm able to do my normal activities except playing.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks

Raj

11. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the great thread..I learned a lot!:D

12. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

If you don't mind me asking, could you describe your build / physique in as much detail as possible?
    I am starting to wonder if there is some correlation or association between physique types and these shoulder / elbow injuries.

I would imagine that players with well developed large arms and broad shoulders (like Fu Hai Feng) have a certain tolerance against attaining these injuries versus smaller players with weak frames.

13. rockkyle11

rockkyle11 New Member

What are Rotator Cuff injuries?
    A rotator cuff injury is an injury affecting the muscles and tendons in your shoulder. It’s a common cause of shoulder pain, especially in older and active people. There are surgical and non-surgical options for treating rotator cuff injury.
    About rotator cuff injury
    Your rotator cuff is the group of muscles and tendons that surround your shoulder joint. Tendons are strong bands of tissue that connect muscles to bones. Your rotator cuff helps to keep your shoulder stable and working well.

You can injure your rotator cuff suddenly, or it can happen over time, due to wear and tear on your shoulder joint.