Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

badmintalk said that cctv5 app had streaming for court 3 but for CHN IP only

2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Whoa. They really are keeping minions to themselves:cool:

I wonder if we can use vpn to watch it?

3. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

that's what I meant by "for CHN IP only"
    but I myself haven't found any reliable VPN app with CHN IP :confused:

4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I tried http://www.zhuafan.live/54055 with firefox. It works. But the ads and pop ups are rather annoying :confused::cool:
    Better than nothing.

ebcd likes this.
  5. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

Is the streaming better than dian anita?

6. wade

wade Regular Member

Choi/seo yet again gave them trouble, they really need to find an answer to this kind of pair....fajar/rian seems to handle this korean pair quite easily in WC.

Kevin also need to control his temper better, clearly choi got into his nerves in the third game.

7. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

Is it because minions played it worse or just choi/seo played better (compared to their match against alfian/ardianto?)
    I couldn't watch the match properly.
    the streaming kept lagging

8. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

What I notice is, somehow fajar/rian are more dominant in the flat game than minions, and their attack from the baseline also stronger. in the defense I also think fajar/rian doing better than minions, that cross defense really gave choi/seo a lot of trouble, minions's defense seems to be predictable from what I've seen today.

ma.ria likes this.
  9. Thunder Hand

Thunder Hand Regular Member

Minions are trending topic on twitter after yesterday and today's match, in terms of popularity they really are something :D

10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It was, or at least I think so.

Didn't think Chou/Seo played better nor minions played worse. Kevin played much better in WC though.

As for Choi's delayed serves, both Kevin and Marcus raised their hands pretty often just moment before Choi's hit the shuttle so umpire called many lets.

Choi/Seo hit a lot of cross drive/defense when Marcus hit from the side and got the shuttles away from Kevin's reach. Minions too eager to attack and finish the rallies they caught wrong-footed or out of formation too many times to my likings.

G3 was a mess. Kevin lost his temper and patience.

Not to mention poor quality of the video, making it an overall annoying match but with some pretty amazing rallies.

The answer to this kind of pair is a lot PATIENCE and cool heads. Fajar/Rian is doing better in this department.

ma.ria likes this.
  11. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

Yeah but not only that, minions need to improve their attacking play from the baseline too. fajar/rian were pretty deadly from the backcourt when they met choi/seo. I think minions was patient enough in the first game, but their attack was pretty weak so it's only a matter of time before the koreans turned it around with their defense. one thing that I like about fajar/rian's game is their creative defense, and the fact that they good at playing this flat lift moving the backcourt player from side to side, I think minions can try to adopt that tactic too.

12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Why not we exchange Marcus with a player with more deadly attacks from the back court and creative in defense then, problems solved. It's usually Kevin who does the the lifting and moving the back court player from side to side.

13. Leemarc28

Leemarc28 Regular Member

Splitting this world no 1 pair Just because of some minor faults. Surely the Indonesia coach will rectify the tiny issues. This pair can adapt to any opponent playing condition. Minions will remain intact till 2020 Tokyo as world no 1. They will only be split after 2020 Olympics. Confirm splitting if they do not win Olympic gold

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I thought Marcus was wearing a wristband when I first saw it yesterday. But from this up close, it was actually a tape just above his right wrist.
    Kevin looks unflattering in this picture, btw.:D:D

Too lazy to translate the whole article, so I will just do their comments.

[​IMG]
    (China Open 2019) Kevin/Marcus had their revenge

Kevin : The opponents played well indeed, they had steep attacks, we were often under the pressure.

Marcus : We were quite lucky at the last points. It wasn't easy to play them, the scoreline was pretty much similar to the last encounter

The key to their success in winning the battle today was playing more composedly. In deuces, Kevin/Marcus played more controlling game while keep on being aggressive.

Kevin : We were more composed at the last points, kept our focus and didn't make too many unforced errors.

Marcus : This Korean's pair no-lift game is good, they were ready when we attacked them. They played safely too, didn't give away easy points.

15. wade

wade Regular Member

I'm surprised they didn't mention choi's serve in their post match interview :D

16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

They didn't either last time. Well at least Kevin openly admitted that he lost his composure before the last points.:D:D

wade likes this.
  17. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

Who do you think that player will be?
    Gideon is one of the best back court players INA has right now,
    Ardianto maybe has better smashes, but he was worse than Gideon in their bad days
    Ardianto's errors sometimes are just too much to handle, surely Kevin would lose his temper more often. Also, I think Gideon still has better defense

18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I was being sarcastic :D

I think minions could do better if they just played more patiently and less emotionally. They were still obviously annoyed by the delaying and affected their game.

19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

[​IMG]
    The 'Minions' get it right this time against Choi and Seo.

MINIONS SURVIVE REPEAT BATTLE – CHINA OPEN: DAY 3
    THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 19, 2019

Come the latter stages of the third and decisive game during their second-round encounter against Choi Solgyu and Seo Seung Jae of Korea earlier today, Marcus Fernaldi Gideon and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo – better known as the ‘Minions’ – must have thought ‘oh no, not again’.

In every aspect bar the final result, today’s clash at the VICTOR China Open 2019 in Changzhou was a mirror of their heated tussle at the World Championships in Basel last month.

On that occasion, Choi and Seo showed character to bounce back from a first-game loss and a 17-19 deficit in the decider to prevail over the tournament favourites 16-21 21-14 23-21 in 64 minutes.

It condemned the ‘Minions’ to yet another early exit at the World Championships.

[​IMG]
    The rivalry intensified between the two pairs.
    Today could have played out very much the same way; and at the same stage of the tournament.

Gideon and Sukamuljo took the first 22-20, dropped the second 18-21 and despite leading at 15-12 in the third, managed to lose their way and concede six of the next seven points to trail 18-16.

In Basel, the Indonesians pointed to the gamesmanship of the Koreans in reference to their tactics on the key points. “They delayed their serves and that affected our rhythm,” Gideon said on that occasion.

The same tactics seemed to be in play again today. The mistakes crept in as the pressure mounted.

But luck was ultimately on their side as the world No.1’s rode the right side of a key Hawkeye call late in the piece to draw level at 21-21. They then eked out the last two points for a morale-boosting 23-21 win in the last.

[​IMG]
    Despair for Choi.
    Post-match Gideon and Sukamuljo discussed the similarities to the clash in Basel and expressed their relief at getting through this time.

“We were lucky today. The score was the same as in Basel, 23-21 in the last. At the end of the match we had many lucky points,” said Gideon.

“Our opponents played really well, they are very good in attack so we were always under pressure from them,” added Sukamuljo.

They now play Olympic silver medallists Goh V Shem and Tan Wee Kiong of Malaysia in the quarterfinals.

Source : https://bwfworldtour.bwfbadminton.c...nions-survive-repeat-battle-china-open-day-3/

@wade, Marcus actually did mention Choi's serves back then. My mistake. :D:D

wade likes this.
  20. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

Sorry my bad,
    Sometimes people liked to blame gideon at any given chances & I felt offended :D

But I think it's true that minions still struggle playing the pairs with strong defense, although this korean's defense was still not as strong as endo/Watanabe's but enough to slow down minion's pace.

Just some cuts of their match available, anyone knows a link to watch the whole replay?

ebcd likes this.