Hitting technique?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by giant_q_tip, Dec 20, 2016.

1. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

Hi guys,

So I took up martial arts recently and what ive been learning broughtbme many questions about badminton.

When youre doing an overhead shot, just as youre about to hit, what moves first? The shoulder and waist? Are these the 2 body parts that initiates the swing of the arm and rotation of the body?

And are we supposed to use our chest as reference for hitting the shuttle? As in hitting from the chest area? Because im taught to keep my punches somewhat leveled with the chest... if that makes sense

Also how do you bring body weight into your shots? Is that a thing in badminton?

Lastly about footwork. As righty, do you move the left leg first after you do the drop step?

Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What martial art and for how long have you been learning it for?

To be honest, a person without much background in martial arts will take roughly 1.5 to 2 years to work out the subtle mechanics of punching (give or take 6 months).

You can start the overhead movement from the upper leg and hips but you cannot extrapolate that to every overhead shot.

3. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

Haha its just jeet kune do. My friend convinced me to take it and im hooked. It got me really interested in body mechanics and now im trying to figure out the subleties in badminton.

Only 1.4 years, but i only train once or twice a week. And yes, im still trying to perfect my punches :)

Do you have any good sources on youtube or articles that goes in depth about technique?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Cheung likes this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Jeet Kune Do should teach you the art of relaxation for speed. This you can certainly translate into badminton strokes, especially for the smash.

You need to relax the muscles and tighten on impact and then immediately relax.

As for the overhead stroke in general, you apply the principles of the one inch punch that Bruce Lee demonstrated.

MSeeley likes this.
  5. visor

visor Regular Member

As Cheung said, the racket hip and core muscles initiate, but only when/if you want a powerful stroke eg. smash, baseline to baseline clear.

Yes, as above. And leaning or falling into the shot also helps, eg. jump smash.

Vinman and MSeeley like this.
  6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    As others said, powerful hitting is initiated from the racket leg bending, then as it straightens you start rotating the hips forwards, then the core, then the shoulders + elbow, then you start straightening the elbow + rotating the forearm (pronation), then wrist + fingers. But this is not necessary for all overhead shots from all positions. And if you ever try to think about these details, your head will explode and you will not be able to hit a decent shot either. Learn by watching and copying :) its the quickest way. Trying to describe things in words just loses all the details.

I don't know what you are talking about with regard to chest.

Bodyweight does go into powerful shots as mentioned by the others, by exploiting the kinetic chain I described above. Note: this is easily achieved by getting behind the shuttle - i.e. the bodyweight movements are a natural part of being stood in the correct place. It is not something you have to learn consciously unless you are already doing something "wrong" and you should take time to reconsider your technique.

And lastly with footwork: it depends where you are moving. For the front and the sides, then mostly it is left foot then right lung. For the backhand rearcourt corner, you just pivot on the left foot and take a large right step. For the forehand rear corner, your first step is with both feet to realign yourself to point the feet in the correct direction, then you perform a chasse.

Cheers!

visor likes this.