How do I make myself physically tougher?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by khan09, Dec 2, 2007.

1. khan09

khan09 Regular Member

hello guys
    well i'm slightly over weak and have lean & smart body but love to produce fastest smashes or to play offensive game. but i here welcome all ur comments or suggestions guys over ideal or maximum physical fitness should be essential for badminton . i like to set some examples like ::
    A player who love to be attacking ought to be have physical body like FU HAIFENG (CHN) because he hits good & holds a record of 332 km/h
    A player who plays on net have normal smart body like CAI YUN (CHN) or TONY GUNAWAN (Malaysia or USA) or like KKK FROM (INDONESIA ).

2. drifterXL

drifterXL Regular Member

i was going to post a thread similar to this one today.

well after not playing for over a month, i finally played again today and pinpointed my major weakness. its my physical endurance. i am more of a singles player, so endurance is a must. what suggestions do you guys have to improve endurance? i dont have anything like a treadmill at home, and its winter over here so forget about jogging/running.

3. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

jog/run in the cold outdoors. i'm serious.
    take it easy at first, and dress appropriately.
    buy the correct technical gear for running in the cold, and you'll be set.
    it'll be wierd at first, but once you get used to it, the benefits will be greater than running during the warmer months.

basically, the idea is cold air = thin air. this means your body gets used able to be pushed hard with reduced oxygen supply.

other than that, just do a ton of on-court multishuttle scramble drills, 3 and 4 corner scrambles, and a lot of shadow badminton.
    just pretend you're playing a game, and just execute all your shots, and appropriate footwork as needed.

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I don't think you can get very significant hypoxic effects just because it's cold outside. Also, it can be dangerous to be running outside during the winter, black ice can be very dangerous when you're moving quickly!

Actually, if you want to do some hypoxic training, try throwing in some breath holding into any physical activity. E.g. hold your breath when you walk up the stairs. Simply doing that can easily increase the load on your cardiovascular system without an increase of load on your musculoskeletal system.

If it is musculoskeletal endurance that you want, you might want to try some long duration isometric holds. For example, get into a lunge position, and stay there for a total of five minutes. This builds mental toughness too!

5. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    higher ground has thinner air. i don't think cold weather will do you much.

6. drifterXL

drifterXL Regular Member

eh it was still good advice. keep the suggestions coming :p

7. nile8866

nile8866 Regular Member

Flexibility+Strength+Agility+Stamina+Reach is (sometimes) equal to a good player.

8. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Add speed, reflex and pretty much everything about physical fitness should sort the list out.

9. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Add aerobif fitness to that. No point in having legs that can more forever if your lungs die on you.

10. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
  11. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Trans fat... lots and lots of it... :p
    Weight gain... no problem.;)
    Heart... well, problems usually come in the next few years, but at least you will become a big(or fat) guy that can generate lots of power. :p

Then make sure you only play a match that ends in one game and not best of 3... you have much better chance due to the gain of power(but lost of endurance). LOL.

#11 bananakid, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  12. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    FYI..KKK is a malaysian,not indonesian.N Tony Gunawan is an indonesian,who plays for US.:)

Badminton is not all about power.Most of badminton players don't have big muscles compared to some other sports player..but they all know how to use it,at the rite moment,ex:smashes.FYI,Men's single's smash record is hold by Taufik Hidayat,at 305km/h.It seems to be impossible,judging from his body shape.Compared to Lin Dan,Chen Hong,Kenneth.J,n the other players.But he knows how to put all his power in that one moment.So does Fu Hai Feng.They might not be as muscular as those ppl who do athletics,gyms..but still,if u wanna compare,they(badminton players) can smash much harder compared to those who only has bulks of muscles,but don't know how to use them properly in badminton.Or more extreme,see Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei.He is so thin..but still he can smash so hard.That why,i said he was just like badminton's Bruce Lee before.:D ..n there are many more of these thin players who can smash like crazy out there among us!There r 2 already in my place!..haha.Those ppl's smashes were crazy,much crazier than the ppl that is bigger than them!

So,Badminton,is not just about how big is ur muscles.It's about how to use ur muscles,explode the biggest power from ur muscles at one moment.Now,else than building muscles..learn how to use them in badminton.:)

Good luck!

#12 Smichz, Jan 4, 2008
  13. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    errr....i'm not sure if you're taking the piss here. but big does not always translate into power.

on what Smichz said, he's right. most 7th formers in my school are bigger than Fu haifeng. but they prob won't get the shuttle past 20 km/h.

14. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Its actually about core muscles and leg muscles. Like Crunches.
    Try step ups, for endurance

#14 CkcJsm, Jan 4, 2008
  15. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner

You don't seriously think I go around telling people to put more trans fat into their body, do you? Also if over-weight people can smash real hard, then the U.S will have the most "natural" talented badminton smashers due to its high obesity ratio.:p

16. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    For Khan,
    Just try to improve gradually and beat the guy next door. No point trying to leap frog too much. This will make it more practical.

For winter stamina? Why not skipping? Simple. Do like that the boxers do. Good for fitness.

17. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Some cybernetic implants could do the trick but it'll cost you.

18. molohov

molohov Regular Member

Engineer
    if you seek core and leg strength coupled with physical endurance, i recommend swimming.

i swam competitively for over seven years before playing badminton and i found the physical impact on my body very negligible.

and especially in winter a pool is still available (most of the time). the best thing you could do is do 30-60 minutes of laps varying in intensity to build your endurance. as for core strength, you'd have to combine ab training with high intensity strokes and sets. (if you've ever watched olympic butterfly you'll know what i mean. butterfly is an intensely core-based stroke)

hope this helps!

19. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    swimming is probably one of the toughest sports, because it uses almost every single one of your muscles. unfortunately, i'm too slow at swimming :eek:

20. molohov

molohov Regular Member

Engineer
    heh heh. when I hear of the tough training regimes that elite badminton players undergo, I wonder how tough it would be compared to swimming...

those international swimmers swim 4-6 hours a day. that's a deadly regime