India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

India hopes and dreams!

Srikanth Kidambi

PV Sindhu

On paper
    PV Sindhu vs Yihan Wang 50 : 50
    Srikanth Kidambi vs Lin Dan 10 : 90

Sindhu and Srikanth can take heart from the performance of Malaysia's MD and XD for beating top teams! :D

If we went by H-H both Sindhu and Srikanth should have lost their R16 matches. There is no denying that Yihan and Lin Dan have great mental strength and vast experience. Sindhu has shown she has big match temperament at the Uber Cups and World Championships. She can defy the odds and beat Yihan. But yes, Sindhu is highly inconsistent and mentally vulnerable as Srikanth Kidambi. While Lin Dan has lost few matches he can be beaten. Sindhu and Srikanth will require fairytale performances to make the semis. In 4 years, Sindhu will be formidable as would Srikanth but they have to be bold and play fearless badminton now. Indian badminton dreams of 2 medals! :)

2. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

PV Sindhu Gives India Hope after a Stunning Performance!

She defied the odds and threw the Head to head out the window. She was determined and confident. She is one step away from assuring India of a medal and creating history. I am extremely pleased and happy with her performance as many of you would be! :)

Link : http://indiatoday.intoday.in/olympi...s-singles-badminton-semi-finals/1/742091.html

Gopichand:

"I think Sindhu played really well and it was a very spirited performance. From the very beginning both the players really fought like hell. Sindhu had a good lead in the second game but Wang Yihan recovered very well. Yet Sindhu remained calm and became aggressive in the last few points to finish it off," Gopichand said.
    She was playing to a specific plan and Sindhu did straight get into retrieving action and negated Wang Yihan's attack. She was smart and she started attacking Sindhu's forehand right away but Sindhu gave it back with some great smashes," he added.
    All in all, I think great game by Sindhu showed a very great good attitude and a performance at a high level. There is chance of improvement in a couple of areas, but undeniably the way she fought and the way she pulled the strategy through it was very good very. To feel confident about the defence and then do it at the big points is commendable."
    She's performed well in big events, when she's had time to prepare well. She has been inconsistent a few times squandering leads, but it's part of growing up. She's young and she has time and age on her side," the 42-year-old asserted.

PV Sindhu: "Yes, this is one of the most satisfying wins that I have played. I have played Wang Yihan several times and sometimes she plays a different game. This one was one of the best, and I hope it will happen in the next game,"
    ************************************************************************************************************
    Srikanth Kidambi will be fired up with this win. But he has a huge task to overcome Lin Dan. It would be easier climbing Mount Everest. I remain hopeful of a fairytale performance. :)

3. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Saina Nehwal admitted in a hospital for treatment of her knee injury.

4. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

PV Sindhu's Fairytale performance continues! First Indian in an Olympic Badminton Final.
    Her best individual performance on the circuit were GPG titles. 2 Bronze medals at the World Championships. She has performed beyond expectation. We can now dream and hope for Gold! :)

5. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Sindhu's parents and Gopichand's mother and wife in front of media after sindhu's victory in semis.

6. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

India Olympic Rewiew

Links on Sindhu:
    http://www.sportskeeda.com/badminton/dont-want-to-celebrate-yet-the-job-not-done-pv-sindhu

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/pv-...f-her-aggression-mental-strength-2964342.html

PV Sindhu India's Battle Queen! I believe Sindhu will take Gold!
    She has peaked at the right time.

We all knew how much potential she had, it was just a matter of realizing that potential and having self belief. She is a transformed player. She used to be a defensive rally player. Her biggest weakness is her inconsistency which has cost her many matches in the past. Her strength in this tournament has been her ability to adapt to different styles of play, a solid attack and improved defence. She is in scorching form, has supreme confidence and great fighting spirit. :)

Our dream final was Saina Nehwal vs PV Sindhu.
    Unfortunately, we will never know how Saina would have performed with her injury ruining her Olympic dream. We all know that Saina has a permanent ankle problem and is always prone to injuries. Her key is to manage herself and play within her physical constraints.
    India needs Saina and it is just a matter of time, when she will be back in action.

Kidambi Srikanth needs to Work on Mental toughness and Patience.
    His nerves cost him game 1 and the latter part of game 3. Lin Dan was relieved at the end of that match. I hope he now has the confidence, that he can beat any player if he plays well on that day. He can only improve form here. 2020 is a long way off and we wont know which 2 MS will represent India.

Gopichand has conceded that it will take a few years for PV Sindhu and Kidambi Srikanth to become more consistent.
    Which means they will play brilliant one day and poorly another. Any titles, they win will be a bonus, as they gain experience on the circuit.

Our Doubles Pairs Performed as expected.
    Mentally they were weak and played worse than they could have. But no medals were expected from them. We have to be patient as Tan Kim Her builds India's Doubles teams. The younger players will be the ones to watch. As they come with no baggage and mental blocks.

7. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Congratulations PV Sindhu Olympic Silver Medal!
    I felt she didn't have the right strategy in place. She was not dictating the pace and when she got attacking opportunities, she needed to follow an attack with a second attack but chose to play soft shots which Marin was able to retrieve. She made too many unforced errors. A player like Marin is not going to give you a second chance. There is a reason she is world No.1

The worst case scenario was 0 badminton medals. It was not a bronze but a silver. Now we have to wait another 4 years to see if someone can win gold. I am sure in 4 years Sindhu will be formidable.

8. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Saina Nehwal to Undergo Surgery Tomorrow.

9. soami

soami Regular Member

Bad for Saina. She will be out for 2-4 months at least.
    Sindhu had a good run. But she lacked weapons against Marin. Hopefully Gopichand will look into that.
    Srikanth looked like his former self again in the Olympics. Together with Prannoy he should be carrying the Indian flag for near future.
    We should focus on players like Ruthvika Shivani Gadde and others for future.

badmuse likes this.
  10. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    india should definitely focus on ruthvika now and try to give her more exposure, though saina is still there along with sindhu, a third good upcoming youngster would be an icing on the cake.

badmuse likes this.
  11. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

BAI Rewards PV Sindhu 50 Lakh, 10 Lakh for Srikanth Kidambi and Gopichand. 15 Lakh for support staff.

Reactions from Around India

12. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Reactions Continued!

13. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Reactions Continues!

14. upriser

upriser Regular Member

Looks like Saina might be out for long time

15. upriser

upriser Regular Member

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I was speculating, if Sindhu had won, what would that have done for badminton at grass roots level in India? A sudden boom in badminton real estate?

17. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

In India, they are celebrating PV Sindhu's Silver like Gold! Most of India, who normally watch cricket were watching this match. People who normally don't watch badminton watched. Badminton has been the No.1 story in the print and electronic media. I think this win will do wonders at the grass roots level. You are right badminton is going to really take off. We will also see vast improvements in doubles with Tan Kim Her building the structure. Future looks good for Indian badminton. I don't know how many years it will take to become a powerhouse, but this will help move in that direction. :)

18. upriser

upriser Regular Member

I would say there wouldn't have been much difference to the present situation(where she won silver) as most of the ppl here were already pretty ecstatic that she reached final. I wouldn't expect too many changes at grass roots level but I would expect many more children to takeup badminton at young age. Her run to finals had a great impact. I have never ever seen in my life so many ppl eagerly waiting for a match in a sport which is not cricket. And on Indian social media(especially twitter) it was Sindhu everywhere. This run to final has certainly helped the sport become much more popular in country.

19. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Gopichand on PV Sindhu

Link: http://www.business-standard.com/ar...-full-potential-gopichand-116082200555_1.html

"I think she is still far away from complete transformation. I believe we have just seen glimpses of the what she is capable of. She has got potential and I was waiting for her to realise that. It might take time,"
    We need to be patient. We need to understand that results may not come as consistently as we want them. But it is important she understand and tries. She is still 21 and she has probably another 10 years and once she realises what I see in my eyes, she will be head and shoulder above the rest of the world,"

20. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Comparing the styles of PV Sindhu and Saina Nehwal

Link http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...hu-Study-in-contrast/articleshow/53781414.cms

Saina's fighting spirit, aggression and hunger to win made her stand out, and these characteristics seemed to be missing in Sindhu until now. The biggest difference between the two, then, remained one of temperament, a gulf Sindhu appears to have bridged in Rio following her own rigorous efforts to add more steel to her game.

From the back of the court, Saina is a better player than Sindhu, with better court coverage. Saina is a delightful dribbler at the net. Sindhu's net game is good but not as effective as that of Saina. The senior pro has solid defence and rarely makes mistakes.

Saina likes faster court conditions - when the shuttle is moving fast between the courts it will be advantage Saina. Sindhu prefers the opposite, she likes if the shuttle is slow.