Korea Open 2006: Day 3 (23/08)

Discussion in 'Korea Open / Hong Kong Open 2006' started by badMania, Aug 21, 2006.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Not a surprise and yes, PBSI should think abt splitting them up

hmm, i wasn't surprised by this result at all..They've been inconsistent ever since last yr, after a pretty noticeable run in 2004. As a matter of fact, earlier this yr i was calling(in this forum) for both of them to be split up and paired with different partners; i believe just after EngHian/Flandy or Candra/Sigit split? if not just for a temporary change.
    I think Luluk/Alven both have reached their "max" potential. Personally, from what i've seen on webcast or live, i feel Luluk is the "weaker" link.
    As for PBSI going out and "fetching TG & CW as freelance etc." back, hmm, no, it won't happen and personally, i don't want it to happen. It's too late. Plus i think that'll sound a bit "desperate". Besides, both are already in their 30s and past "their prime". Personally, the wise move is for PBSI needs to seek and groom younger pairs in hope to compete with the future competitions.

#101 ctjcad, Aug 23, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  2. event

event Regular Member

For a start, they should send the younger pairs that are already showing promise, like Joko/Hendra and Yoga/Yonathan, to more big tournaments. I am reluctantly inclined to agree about Luluk and Alven. I like watching them play but I hate watching them lose so often.

3. deROSE

deROSE Regular Member

student
    Definitely not a bad day for Malaysian men's doubles.Hopefully the winning streak for kkk-ccm continues.WHO are they up against next?

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

KKK and CCM will next play the Pelatnas veterans in Flandy Limpele & Sigit Budiarto(in round of 16). And if they happen to beat the 2 senior pair, then they'll await the winner between another ex-Pelatnas' seniors in Tony G./Candra W. and XieZB/GuoZD.
    So, the road won't be easy for KKK/CCM..;)

5. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Anyway,i hope they can win and espiacally WMC must win...I can see some hope in MAS women singles...

6. tbleong

tbleong Regular Member

as i said, if LCW want to save energy for the HO, he should not participate! dun spoil his world no 2 name, and i dun think Roslin can win the KO!

7. coolman

coolman Regular Member

candra wijaya respresent US ???he just left indo, so fast grant citizenship from us ?

8. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think Lin Dan's, LCW's and Gade's points will remain exactly the same after the Korean Open.

You probably dropped the points from last year's WC. Remember the new ranking ruling is that those points will not be dropped until this year's WC has ended.

Last year, none of the big stars played in the Korean Open, so they will not drop points after this KO, but HKO is a different case. We shall see when the time comes.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

10. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

No, my earlier calculation and forecasting was correct. LCW is no.1 today and LD second. :D

11. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    if lin dan win HK open, he will be # 1 again

12. court_king

court_king Regular Member

That ranking system is completely useless for outside observers... especially when the Olympic and world champ is ranked far below...hmmm.. let say KBH and Hafiz... that's ridiculous!!!

When I look at rankings, I assume that the #1 guy can usually defeat the guys rank 11+ for example, not because the #1 guy play more tournaments even when he got eliminated early twice in the same year.

13. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

Under current ranking system, even if Lin Dan win HK Open, Lin Dan will not be able to be world no.1 because Lin Dan was 2005 HK Open champion, so, 2006 HK Open points will be counted and 2005 HK Open points to be deleted. So, Lin Dan points in world ranking will be remain unchange if he is 2006 HK Open champion.
    If Lin Dan lost to someone ( maybe Taufik Hidayat) and unable to become HK Open champion 2006, then, his current points to be calculated while 2005 HK Open champion points to be deleted. Then, Lin Dan will suffer a drop in his world ranking points.

In short, it seems that Lin Dan is unable to overtake LCW before WC 2006. Most likely LCW will become the top seed in World Championship if he can reach semifinal in HK Open 2006.:D

14. wirre

wirre Regular Member

I haven't cared to look up how the ranking system is setup for badminton. But there is nothing wrong at all if an olympic and/or world champion is a bit down in the rankinglist. His/her medals only shows that in that final in that tournament he/she *was* the best. So everyone knows that this guy/gal is possible to beat whoever, but not how often IOW how consistent.

To be ranked No1 in the world you have to show that over a long run of tournaments you can produce. To win a championship is much easier....... any aussie might remember Steven Bradbury :D .

And in sports infected by doping it would be too easy to just come to the championships making amazing results and never ever be apparent in any other competition. Thus why track and field are very suspicious and never ranks anyone at the top based on a single (or very few) results.

However I agree that Taufik is a more talented player than most. And maybe it would be better to use a similar ranking system as snooker. It is based on a two year period. Thus allowing the good players now and then to play a little less - have some less good tournaments. And they also have an "inofficial" yearly ranking which shows who's been in best form over the last season.

I also think some few selected tournaments (4 each year?) should award substantial more ranking points, of which the players are able to count only the three best. Thus a player like Taufik doesn't need to play every tournament on the circus, but still enough to keep a decent ranking.

/mats

15. event

event Regular Member

Actually, once you strip off the WC and HKO points from last year, as will go into effect with next week's ranking, Lee will have 35073 points and Lin Dan will have 30403. Lee will get 1350 from the Korea Open but will lose 900 from the Thailand Open because the IBF only uses the top ten results. From that starting point, then, Lin Dan's points can increase by 5200 if he wins the Hong Kong Open. That will put him marginally ahead of Lee Chong Wei. Lee can only increase his points by advancing in the Hong Kong Open such that he gets more than 2500 points because in order to add HKO points, he has to drop his #10 finish from the last twelve months which will be 2100 points and he would have to increase his point total by over 200 to catch Lin. If Lin doesn't win in Hong Kong, he will not be #1 going into the Worlds even if Lee doesn't play in Hong Kong. If Lin does win, Lee has to make the quarter-finals in order to stay #1. Also, if Lee doesn't play in HK, Chen Jin could move to #1 if and only if he wins the Hong Kong Open.

16. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    You were right. They dropped the WC 2005 ranking, that's why Lin Dan dropped points. But I thought your logic for the HKO will be the same for WC, ie. that they will only drop WC2005 points after the WC2006. Apparently not. I still do not have a clear idea how the new ranking works.

17. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Sometime we can't depends much on the ranking...It's doesn't means that the players with the lower ranking can't beat the top ranking players..It did happens and espiacally this KO...So,anything will happen in this world...Ranking is just a results for players and remind them to play well to get good ranking...

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry for the diversion, but I can't help noticing that you like to use the letter "s" in the wrong places, unfortunately. :D

19. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Jessica, are u doing it on purpose or are u very bad in English ?

20. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Please, there is no need to comment on other people's English here. This is a badminton forum. As long as we understand each other, that should be ok.