LD's blog post

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by zqloy, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Have you seen the last controversy call on TV? It is clearly out even from that far of an angle and if LD got that point he would have been the winner already.

LD is not making excuses for his lost and his behavior, he is telling the fact, which everyone can be witnessed clearly. LD won if the call was ruled correctly and LD was provoked by Li Mao.

It seems more to me that people are making up "points" to attack LD.

Again, LD's action is inappropriate, but I find it understandable. But people who continuously to attack LD and start to attack him personally is making me feels unacceptable.

2. westbeach

westbeach Regular Member

Maybe headbutt your opponent in the chest Zidane style. :D

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Guys, guys...calm down..

...for the sake of keeping this thread open, please heed to kwun's request/advice.:)
    We already have 2 threads locked & I'm sure you guys still want to discuss in this thread, so please keep the discussion on topic and not veer into "personal" discussions.:cool: *if there's a badly needed urge to do so, then please reply to the intended party(ies) through PM (Private Messaging).
    I'm sure others also want to post their opinions in this topic and if this thread is locked, then they wouldn't have a chance to do so.
    So, please be considerate to all!!Thanks!!:):cool:

4. westbeach

westbeach Regular Member

I respect your opinion but I don't think one can say Lin Dan will 100% win if the call went his way. He might have a better chance of winning but his chances of winning at 20-18 was greater than his chances at 22-21, in my opinion.

The disputed call itself did not determine the outcome of the match immediately. Lin Dan's performance after the call caused him the match. He hit into the net twice in a row to lose the match. I hate seeing matches lost on errors like this.

5. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Sorry, my mistake. Thanks for the correction.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Sorry, what i meant...

..to write was "for the sake of keeping NOT JUST this thread open, but to all the threads, esp. in this 2008 Korea Open sub-forum, please heed to kwun's request/advice"..:p

#86 ctjcad, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  7. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Nice story telling ....... in complete opposite.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Been reading all the MSF threads for the past 2-3 days. I tried my best to keep my mouth shut, as I don't want to get into another heated (and endless) debate. Here's my take on the inccident:

1. LD's behavior: shameful and shocked me :mad:

2. LM's behavior: totally out of his own class, and will remain to be 1 of the big topic in CHN sports world :eek:

3. Our fans behavior: I am not surprised such a debate coming up, and I am not surprised it will go no where... :cool:

9. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I saw the video and it didn't show Lin Dan throwing the racket. If you guys have another clip, please post it because I want to see it. If you think about it, the guy can hit a shuttle dead on the line and you think he'll miss when he throws his racket at Li Mao.

People are saying that Lin Dan is totally at fault but how about Li Mao. If he's angry with Lin Dan protesting the line calls and getting it in his favor, the complain to the Umpire, he doesn't need to exchange words with Lin Dan.

But about this subject, i think we're just beating a dead horse. Lin Dan Supporter will continue to support him, and Lin Dan heater will have more of an excuse to hate him. Are we really going to get anything out of this? Just hope that BWF will find a better way to enforce line callings in future events.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's really funny comment. but quite true also. :)

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

There's a brief clip shown on another video/link..

...of LD hurling his racket (towards the end of the video) :
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51838&page=7 (post #113, 3rd link)..;)

#91 ctjcad, Jan 29, 2008
  12. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    That video is kind of misleading because it just show Lin Dan throwing it, it doesn't show Lin Dan Throwing it at Li Mao. If you look at the youtube clip at around 14-17 sec, you'll see the official coming from a different direction then where Li Mao was sitting to give the racket back to Lin Dan. Then as Lin Dan was returning to the court, Li Mao stood up to shout something out which provoke Lin Dan.

I'm not siding with anyone, but regardless both of them are wrong.

However I do have acknowledge the professionalism and respect that Lin Dan has for the audience and his opponent, for he did continue to finish the match and congratulate and shake his opponents hand at the end. Because if it was me, I would had just walked off the court after that incident.

13. derektou

derektou Regular Member

Art teacher, Youth Pastor
    Although I don't think it's a right action for Lin Dan, but I think it is really understandable, think about it if you are in the situation, if it's not that point, he is the champ of Korea 08 already. Beside, given that there were many bad line calls, now this critical one the umpire actually made such wrong judgment, it was totally unfair for Lin Dan. Although I am not a Lin Dan fan at all, I think people should think about his feeling before criticizing, I doubt if anyone who criticized him would be able hold his temper at the situation.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Well..

..yes, the video (Korean-based) could be misleading if one hasn't seen other videos and read live accounts/reports;)...Unfortunately though, at this moment, we DON'T have any video showing the entire sequence of actions (from the moment LD reacted to the line call til the end); almost did with the video from Alphonse, though..
    Fortunately, all we have now are just those videos and personal first-hand accounts, in BC, from a few people who've graciously shared what they saw. I guess we just have to go with those videos & reports/accounts as proofs of the incident and take them as they're worth.
    Also, there's an article on badzine.com, not sure if you've read it or not, written and reported by another BC member, event, who was there and witnessed the whole incident.:cool:
    Here's the link to the article:
    http://www.badzine.info/content/view/820/2/

#94 ctjcad, Jan 29, 2008
  15. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

That's simply not true. After that point it's 22:21, either LD or LHI leading. LD wasted 3 match points (one at the end of 2nd game, two in 3rd game when he was leading 20:18) before this point (and he also wasted 1 match point after this incident), so there is no reason why this one must be different. Note that there was no controversial calls in the four match points LHI saved.

I think most players, although will be angry, will not go as far as throwing a racket.

In short, it is understandable that LD was angry, but it is not understandable that he show his anger in such a violent manner.

16. derektou

derektou Regular Member

Art teacher, Youth Pastor
    well, that's true, it's really not right to do that, but I can understand where the anger is coming from, beside in Li Mao's feedback, he never mentioned a word about what he said to Lin Dan, I bet he knows he is guilty of it

for that point, if the judge gave that point to Lin Dan, he could have win the game already, the next point was won by Lin Dan. And talking about a critical point like this, it would affect a player a lot, if the mistake was not made, things could have been much different

yea, I guess not MANY people would go there far when they are mad, but the thing is, many people started to judge Lin Dan on a personally level, and I doubt if they could handle the situation well when they are actually in it.

17. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

You cannot add points like that. As I have said, sometimes players use "towel-break" trick. After like 20 seconds' break, the momentum on court may totally change. Based on LD's performance at the other 4 match points, I think it's fair to say if he was leading 22:21, he would have big chance to take the title, but it's still far from guaranteed.

I actually believe most ppl would not act as madly as LD. In fact I don't think LM had expected LD's reaction to be this violent. :cool:

18. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

By now, you would have read the comparisions made with China Open 2007 MS Finals on controversial calls. The comparision was LCW situation was worse, in the fact that the bad line calls werent over ruled(there were 3 to 5), LCW didnt do anything close to what LD did.

Whether or not LD was aiming at Li Mao, he threw his racket, and threw it to the opposite side of the court. Unless others have it taped on their private cam, the tv cameras were caught unaware, took a few sec to have the 2nd camera showing the drama part.
    The photographers also only caught the scenes after the racket throwing incident

#98 eaglehelang, Jan 29, 2008
  19. morphy

morphy Regular Member

And I don't think LD quite expected LM or any opposing coach for that matter to get off his chair and start scolding LD. I think 'scolding' is the closest thing I can to describe it.

Like a father scolding a little kid lol. And the little kid in turn threw a temper tantrum and ended up throwing more than just his temper. :eek:;)

20. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

A better word is "complaining". If you watch the video carefully, you can see that LD was normal about 3 - 4 seconds before he threw the racket. So I believe what LM said is exactly "If all points are judged in your favor, then what's the point having this match played?" ( I tried the Chinese sentence, it would take at least 2 - 3 seconds, so there is simply no time for LM to say anything else. The only thing he can do may be to spice it up to "F***, if all points are ..." ). I don't think it's "scolding".

What LYB said to LCW (not the famous "break his leg" which LYB denied), "Haven't learned anything good, but learned everything bad", that's "scolding". :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.