Li Mao step - Singles Footwork

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by LenaicM, Jul 13, 2019.

1. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Language teacher & graduate student in linguistics
    Randomly stumbled on this video of an American player who visited China and had a few coaching sessions. He learnt a footwork technique described by his coach as the Li Mao (the coach) step.

Not a big deal, it's just a small jump to include during footwork when coming from the rearcourt to the frontcourt that helps reduce the number of steps from 4 to 3, thus it is supposed to help reach the shuttle faster and earlier.

I think we all do it from times to times without really being aware - or at least I wasn't - but I didn't realize its efficiency until I try it for 30 mins this afternoon doing some shadow exercises. It works very well and is worth highlighting for those who did not really know about it and want to implement it regularly and consciously in their games.

speCulatius, Toivot and DarkHiatus like this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That’s a really nicely made video. I like all the points.

3. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Language teacher & graduate student in linguistics
    Very nice. I only mentioned that Li Mao step because I never heard about this footwork technique and wanted to share it on here while other points are more or less commonly discussed but he mentioned a lot of valuable points through the whole video. I liked it too and that Li Mao step is really a valuable asset to any singles player.

4. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Interesting.... I guess we all know the hop on the left (non racket) foot to take a forehand shot from the rear backhand corner and I know it from the other long diagonal (rear forehand corner - China Jump - front backhand corner), both involve turning.
    I have seen it like in this video, but never thought about giving it a name. Is it worth teaching? Does it come naturally?
    Icould see it happen without further teaching when working on rhythm (last step to the center is the new slit l split step) and then increasing the speed.... any other thoughts? Experience by players or coaches?

5. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

I don't think anyone calls it the Li Mao step except for Li Mao. Sometimes I see posts from Kawasaki Badminton Club talking about the Li Mao step, but I have never heard this anywhere else.

6. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

True. I'll call it SpeCstep from now on. But there'll be more than one SpeCstep, so be ready to be confused.