Mew Choo will soon train under Misbun

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by ants, Apr 1, 2008.

1. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    This is exactly what Mag (BF Supremo) has been saying for years, If she stays fit, she will be one of the best.

Yes she does play like a man, her smash is very powerful, but with that power and bulk is the weakness of lack of maneuverability and stamina.

I agree if she is able to keep training it would not be a shock for her to put her hangds on OG Gold.

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

And it has come out in the press :

NST :

10 April

Mew Choo dumps Tat Meng for Misbun

[​IMG]
    Mew Choo has refused to elaborate on her sudden decision.

TOP women's singles shuttler Wong Mew Choo has split with her coach Wong Tat Meng as she targets a medal in the Beijing Olympics in August.

Mew Choo returns to her former coach Misbun Sidek until the Olympics and Tat Meng yesterday consented to the arrangement.

The decision may surprise some as Mew Choo had shown steady progress under Tat Meng, and even won the China Open but national chief coach Yap Kim Hock said the request had come from the player herself.

"The request to switch coaches came from Mew Choo. We always try to accommodate players' requests and if Mew Choo feels she can benefit from joining Misbun, that is fine," said Kim Hock.

"What is important is our preparation towards Beijing and Tat Meng has given Mew Choo the go ahead to join Misbun."

Mew Choo has refused to elaborate on her sudden decision. Kim Hock said that there was no falling out between player and coach and that Mew Choo's decision was purely to give herself a better shot at an Olympic medal.

Mew Choo's early progress came while under Misbun where she won her first major event -- the Vietnam Sea Games in 2003 -- and in 2005, was put under the tutelage of Tat Meng.

She started showing progress last year and topped it off when she beat China's top trio of World No 1 Xie Xingfang, World No 2 Zhang Ning and world champion Zhu Lin on her way to winning the China Open.

Mew Choo also rocketed to World No 8.

However, Mew Choo's form has since dipped and with the Olympics on the horizon, she had little choice but return to Misbun.

"Last Tuesday, she (Mew Choo) requested to join my training sessions and I agreed.

"I will guide her as long as she is willing to work hard," said Misbun at Juara Stadium yesterday.

"I have not spoken to Tat Meng (yet). I will leave it to the management to decide whether Mew Choo will train with me."

Mew Choo's departure leaves Tat Meng with just two players -- Wong Choong Hann and Yeoh Kay Bin -- to coach. -- K.M. Boopathy

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Thursday/Sport/2209259/Article/index_html

3. eaglehelang

[SIZE=+1]The Star Online > Sports[/SIZE]
    Thursday April 10, 2008

Mew Choo splits with Tat Meng to join former coach Misbun
    By LIM TEIK HUAT

KUALA LUMPUR: Top Malaysian woman singles player Wong Mew Choo has left her current coach Wong Tat Meng to train with national singles coach Misbun Sidek.

National head coach Yap Kim Hock confirmed that Mew Choo had returned to train with her former coach at Stadium Juara in Bukit Kiara in preparation for the Uber Cup Finals in Jakarta in May and the Beijing Olympics in August.

Misbun trained Mew Choo when she first entered the national team set-up in 2002 and he helped her end nearly two decades of waiting by winning the women’s singles gold in the Vietnam SEA Games the following year.

Mew Choo trained under Chinese coach Li Mao from 2004. When the coach quit to join South Korea two years later, she was placed under Tat Meng.

While Mew Choo has been training under Misbun since last week, Kim Hock said the request to change coach was only discussed by the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) management yesterday.

[​IMG] Mew Choo: Felt that she would benefit training under Misbun.

“Mew Choo made the request to join Misbun because she felt it would benefit her.

“We will try to accommodate the players’ wishes if it can help them improve their game.

“We want the best for Mew Choo because of her preparations towards the Olympics. We want to see her put up a strong challenge in the Olympics,” said Kim Hock.
    He denied there was any bad blood between Mew Choo and Tat Meng following their split after only two years.
    “Tat Meng has no problem with the change,” he said.

Tat Meng, who was promoted to the singles coaching set-up after the departure of Li Mao, now has Wong Choong Hann and Yeoh Kay Bin under his charge.
    Mew Choo will not be short of sparring partners now that she is back under Misbun’s charge.
    Besides current top Malaysian men’s

singles player Lee Chong Wei, Misbun also handles five other players – Kuan Beng Hong, Chan Kwong Beng, Lok Chong Chieh, Zairul Hafiz Zainuddin and Syed Akhbar Mustakim.

Former All-England champion Mohd Hafiz Hashim also trains under Misbun but he has expressed his desire to leave to join Kuala Lumpur Racquet Club (KLRC) once he has cleared his personal matters.

Under Tat Meng, Mew Choo’s most memorable achievement was beating the best of the Chinese players en route to lifting the China Open title last year.

It helped her climb to a career high rankings of seventh in the world earlier this year. But she has slipped to ninth after uninspiring displays in the All-England and Swiss Opens last month.

Mew Choo lost to world No. 32 Hwang Hye-youn of South Korea in the quarter-finals of the All-England and was beaten in straight games by former Chinese star Zhou Mi, who plays for Hong Kong, in the second round of the Swiss Open.

http://www.thestar.com.my/services/...ile=/2008/4/10/sports/20904144.asp&sec=sports

From the 2 press reports, it would seem that it's only till OG. I suppose they'll review after OG. This time easier for WMC to get approval, when it was LCW, he had to 'fight' thru to get to train under Misbun.

4. eaglehelang

http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/info.asp?y=2008&dt=0410&pub=Utusan_Malaysia&sec=Sukan&pg=su_03.htm

Utusan says it better :
    "Mew Choo mengemukakan permohonan untuk kembali kepada Misbun dua minggu lalu, selepas mengadakan perbincangan dengan semua jurulatih, kami bersetuju membenarkan dia berlatih bersama Misbun sehingga Sukan Olimpik. Dia percaya pendekatan dan sistem latihan yang diterapkan oleh Misbun mampu memberi manfaat kepadanya untuk memperbaiki prestasi menjelang Olimpik dan kami pula hanya mahukan yang terbaik,'' kata ketua jurulatih kebangsaan, Yap Kim Hock.

YKH : "WMC applied to train under Misbun 2 weeks ago and after discussing will all coaches, we agreed to allow her to train with Misbun until OG. WMC believes the approach & training system used by Misbun will benefit her to improve her performance & we only want to best"

5. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    papers sure like to sensationalize dont they. imagine reading the topic of NST "Mew Choo dumps Tat Meng for Misbun" and not thinking that there is some sort of problem underlying all this. :D:p

6. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Tine had lost a lot of time due to that Achilles injury of hers, lost her maybe 2 years of productive effort and chance to build on her stamina to the highest level possible. Therefore she has to persist in power play to apply pressure and break down opponents as fast as possible. In the All-England, she almost didn't make it against Pi.

Even looking on Mew Choo's win in China, she was being more aggressive rather than just merely rallying and defence. But she has since toned down the aggression, therefore her recent results have suffered.

7. eaglehelang

Yeah, later only I realised the title sounds like girlfriend leaving boyfriend :D

The Star Online > Sports
    Sunday April 13, 2008

Shuttler Mew Choo: Misbun can help me go higher

By RAJES PAUL

PUCHONG: National women’s singles ace Wong Mew Choo is ready to take her game a notch higher – by placing more emphasis on her physical training under the guidance of national singles coach Misbun Sidek.

By going the extra mile, Mew Choo hopes to be able to mount a stronger challenge in her first Olympic Games in Beijing in August.

The world No. 9, who is virtually assured of a place in Beijing, had caused a stir on Wednesday when she announced her decision to end a three-year stint under national singles coach Wong Tat Meng to rejoin Misbun.
    China Open champion Mew Choo said yesterday that everything was done amicably.

“I just want to say thank you to Tat Meng for everything that he has given me in the last three years. My skills improved under him,” said Mew Choo after a training session at the Michael Badminton Academy here yesterday.

“But Tat Meng understands why I had to leave, although there are just four months left before the Olympic Games. I want to further improve my game and it was time to move on.

“I had trained under Misbun before and I know what to expect from him – especially in terms of physical training. I think this is one area I have to improve on. I need to be fitter.”

The Asian Badminton Championships (ABC), which will start in Johor Baru on Wednesday, will be Mew Choo’s first tournament since rejoining Misbun after a three-year break.

“I do not want to set high targets. Last year, I made it to the semi-finals but I will be happy to make it to the top eight, at least,” she said.

Misbun also hoped that Mew Choo’s move would not be misconstrued as an act of him pinching players, especially since top men’s singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei also left Tat Meng to join him last year.

“The BAM had asked me to take care of Mew Choo and I am just doing this (training Mew Choo) in good faith. It is actually an additional task for me in helping Malaysia win honours at the Olympics, but I love challenges. I just hope that Mew Choo knows what she wants,” said Misbun.

“I know that she is craving for more intensity in her training regime. Although she arrived for training before 7am, she was still prepared to continue practising even after training ended at 11am. It is good to see her this dedicated.”

Misbun said he would also use Mew Choo to spar with the other women’s singles players like Julia Wong and Lydia Cheah once in a while.

Yesterday, Mew Choo had a workout with several men’s senior players like Chong Wei and Mohd Hafiz Hashim and several back-up players – Lok Chong Chieh, Chan Kwong Beng, Mohd Zairul Hafiz, Chong Wei Feng and Liew Daren.

http://www.thestar.com.my/services/...ile=/2008/4/13/sports/20940544.asp&sec=sports

8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

seems mew choo have faith in misbun, then im sure misbun will try his best to give mew choo the best:)

9. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

She will try to wins a medal in Olympic.......what ever colour .....:rolleyes:...:p:p

She has to enter SF first.....good luck Choo...Choo...:p

10. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Here we go again!

I support Mew Cho decision even though I don't agree with her logic. To me, results speak louder than argument! Under Tat Meng, Mew Choo has performed better beating the Chinese players in many occasion so why change the formula that has been working? Having say that, I also don't think Mew Cho should stay with the coach that she has less faith with.
    I only hope it doesn't backfire then fingers will be pointing everywhere to blame/for excuses which we, the Malaysians, are very good at. Hop in and join the roller coaster ride and hope I am not too old for this :D

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    At last it came out to the press..

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    it never hurts to get a second advice or learning something new from misbun. I'm sure wmc remembers what she had learned from tat meng. What i fear is your last statement if both lcw and wmc fail to capture medals, misbun would be burdened by 2 blames.

13. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Is every player in BAM can request to change their coach ?

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    They can request... but the reasons is specific. Not like i want to change because i dont like him.

15. champion8

champion8 Regular Member

actually my heart goes to Wong Tat Meng who has put in so much for WMC. I hope Tat Meng will still have the heart to go on training Wong Chun Han and Yeo Kay Bin.

I feel Tat Meng have done a good job on WMC. I may not agree with Mew Choo decision but she knows best what she need. I Hope her decison will bring in the medal we so hope for.

16. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Simple things - Misbun Sidek is probably better than Wong Tat Meng, in the opinion of Wong Mew Choo.

We hope for another potential women player train under WTM will beat WMC in future.....

17. george@chongwei

hmm.let us hope that she will archive something during the OG08..:)
    malaysia boleh!!

18. george@chongwei