Overseas training opportunities?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Richie1234, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    They won't but there are plenty of other places to train and plenty of good players who are not in provincial teams.

I am sure there are plenty of coaches in China. It's just a matter of communication. If you are a high level player at national level, you can get accepted into provincial centres.

If you are not at that level but still keen to train, you go accordingly to the lower level training course.

If anyone is at social level play, yet expecting to go to a provincial centre for intense training with province players, they need to adjust their expectations to a more realistic level.

2. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher

No, actually not true. I personally know several top professional coaches and I'm just a nobody. Of course they won't let you train with the provincial or national teams...no country will let someone bother their top athletes while training! (Besides America as their Olympic athletes need to work to make money.)

But in China many of the players coach in their free time or when they "retire" (keeping in mind they retire between the ages of 22-30 so they are all still quite young.) Also, coaches who train the national team and provincial level teams retire, or look for side gigs and they offer coaching.

China has a glut of pro's who can't do anything else after they retire so they coach. And they are not expensive. And sure, if you want to live in a dorm room with 4 other people (a few probably children as adults tend to be too busy to partake in month-long camps) and eat crappy cafeteria food for the $900/month I'm positive you could find that in China too...but would you want to?

China's biggest downside is the language. Badminton players, like Viktor Axelson learn Chinese to communicate with them. They know they are the big dog in the badminton world and don't need to speak English..that others will speak their language. Some coaches do speak English, but finding websites and info in English is the tricky part. Which does put me in a good position...haha.

lotusknight and Cheung like this.
  3. Robert in San Francisco

I am 63 with 3 years experience, classified as advanced beginner or low intermediate. I would like to combine international travel with 2 or 3 weeks of individualized coaching, perhaps in India, Thailand, etc, where a coach and sparring partners would be provided 3 or 4 hours per day. I saw one place in Malaysia that combines a nice hotel, one meal per day, and 4 hours of coaching for less than $1000 US per week, but I would like to look at options in other countries. I am particularly intrigued by India, and also interested in Thailand. Does anyone know of a kind of "badminton camp" or academy that has programs like this?

lotusknight likes this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Without having seen the places, I hesitate to recommend.

Try looking at scg badminton academy in Thailand and making enquiries.

Or be brave and ask Borkya about a China trip..

Might be a bit tricky with language barrier in both places If you are the type to watch and copy, that would be less of a problem.

But if you want long explanations, that might be difficult.

lotusknight likes this.
  5. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I know, jeesh, I should just start a damn training school in China. It would be so easy! I have the coaches, facility, even translators all at my fingertips. I'm just hesitant about turning my beloved badminton into a business....

6. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Could try a one-off camp type excursion and if it's successful (for the participants and yourself too), then you could make it a longer term/recurring thing.

Otherwise there's nothing wrong with just doing a single event - plenty of people would consider that to be a significant life achievement by itself!

P.S. I'm interested if you do happen to try something out :)

7. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

well, maybe start off by making a camp like @DarkHiatus said without making any profit and with the goal solely on helping others to love badminton further ;)

If you feel happy with it and the others are happy with it, and after you've done 5-6 times, and you have understand more on the administrative and financial aspect, market pool and business related thing, you can give the training school a shot as your full time job?

I'll be looking forward to it as well, in the name of popularizing our beloved sport :)

8. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Li-Ning Europe offers a yearly trip to beijing. duration is 11 days in a group. professional coaching (e.g. Zhang Ning) and training with the national team included. Also translators and sightseeing tours. 2000€ include flight without visa. If anybody of the german speaking guys is interested, feel free to pm me.

9. Ramash

Ramash New Member

Hi Robert,
    I am almost 60 years old and am also looking for something similar in India, Malaysia or Indonesia.Except for Taufil Hidayat Academy in Indonesia none of the other facilities bothered to respond.They have a 30 day package for US$ 1,827 which includes training, dorm accommodation, meals and laundry.I would appreciate if you could share any info you have gathered to-date.I live on Vancouver Island,Canada.

lotusknight likes this.
  10. lotusknight

lotusknight Regular Member

Hi Borkya,

You do have all the advantage to run a badminton training camp in China. Yes, I know what you mean, it's tricky when it come to decisio to tern your hobby for money.....don't feel safe for that.

I have 2 kids and travel away for training may be difficult for me as I may have to come along. Wondering if you can help to introduce some China retired coached that willing to go overseas, say for 1 week or 2 weeks to train others and partial of a holiday as well? Like travel for free with some income? Please help to introduce. Thanks.

Cheung likes this.
  11. lotusknight

Following, but I am looking for one on one coach instead. Thanks

12. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher

You mean chinese coaches going to america or some other countries to train people? That would be a pretty interesting idea though more difficult to pull off. (My coach was denied a visa to america when he tried to visit me last year because they were worried he would stay and work in America and not go back to China). It would also require the people inviting the coaches to kinda take care of them a bit, as most coaches don't speak more than a few words of english (like find a translator, pick the coach up from the airport, make sure he knows where/how to eat and get food, etc.)

Anyway, it IS an interesting idea. I know some coaches would jump at the chance to travel and coach in a foreign country for a short-time.

lotusknight likes this.
  13. lotusknight

Hi Borkya,

We are currently based in Vietnam, so that would be not too difficult for the coaches. Giving the living cost here is not too expensive too. I guess 1-2 weeks training fee more than enough to enjoy the holiday here and still some money back home. Tourist visa is easy here, also we have our Chinese translator. We will take care of them while they are here also will guide them travel around. Please lets me know if you know any coach would be interested. Many thanks.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I heard of it happening in HK for short periods though not often. People in HK prefer to travel out or they don't publicise it for obvious reasons. The working visa is a problem.

What you can do is for the coach comes to your courts as a volunteer. But you provide the air ticket, pay for hotel, pay for meals, I. E. Cover the expenses.

lotusknight likes this.
  15. lotusknight

I know the visa matter is tricky in US and other countries but in Asia general or Vietnam, I guess no need a working visa, just tourist visa will do, as it's only a few weeks and it's not a direct coaching job but to play with the kids and correct them.

Cheung likes this.
  16. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    PM'd you! :)

lotusknight likes this.
  17. Badminton MBE

Badminton MBE New Member