Penalty for Lin Dan

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by kwun, Jan 30, 2008.

?

penalty for Lin Dan

1. no penalty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. small fine - (< US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. large fine - (> US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. suspension for 1 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. suspension for 2 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Large Fine &Suspension

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    During the intervals, let's have the circus acts come in

Hahaha... You are funny JasonMichael,

Perhaps, during the intervals, let's have the circus acts come in. :D:D:D

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Formula 1 vs Demolition Derby

Perhaps for you Smash-Tajam, the Demolition Derby should be more interesting than the Formula 1. :D:D:D

What is a Demolition Derby?...... Here's a link for you, located at:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demolition_derby

:):):)

3. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    LD supporting fair play? I think you should look back into his history, this guy never supported fair play, from tempering with shuttles, insulting opponent, to time wasting. Do you think LD really cares if the line judge is in his favor? He loves it

Look @ HK06 when he played against Kenneth Jonassen, there were so many calls that favored LD, did he really care? In fact he even hushed KJ for trying to protest, in the end KJ just gave up the match in protest against the poor line call, (take a look at the crowds response here, poor Kenneth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW87dJWMnjw).

For those of you who manage to get hold of OG04 when LD played against Ronald. Ronald protested against a bad line call, and he just wanted to politely inquire from the umpire, guess what LinDan did? Yell back and signed at his opponent to shut up.

I find it so funny when this guy is trying to sound all righteous and manipulate all the fans attention to support him. Keep making patriotic pro-Chinese speech to get his countrymen to sympathise him. Surely he himself realise the severity of his action, however as a stubborn person who wants to save face he had no choice but to play down this road.

4. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

It's ok, some of us put up some facts to counter those points;).
    Some either forgot or are unaware that some Msians are also the 1st to critise if Msian players are effected by bad line calls. They dont seem to look thru the previous posts or threads 1st.

Reading the translations from China media (either computerized or manually done), their media is more 'patriotic', even defending LD. That never ever would happen if any of our players did what LD did.
    We would vote for Huge Fine & suspension, and a host of other punishments too.

5. sepang

sepang Regular Member

FAIR PLAY? You must be kidding.

Just no long ago, LD lost his game on first route to Korean player and told the media that he didn't feel like playing in home court. All the calls are favored to Korean player.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    My example of "murder crime" was to argue your point of "only looking at the result". To me, justify a case from the result only, is as biased as the bad line calls. :cool:

7. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I don't remember your example of "murder crime"... I only remember someone give a "bad cop" example, for which I pointed out that to be a good analogy to the current situation, there must actually be a "good cop" with higher rank patrolling together with the bad one, and this "good cop" immediately overruled the "bad cop"'s biased decisions.

My point again: in general, a player may get angry because line judges are acting against him (even if the umpire overruled the calls). But that's not good for himself, that's not professional. Since ensuring "fair-play" is not the player's responsibility, the player should only care about getting points.

It's like "road-rage". Someone cut you off intentionally, you may get angry. But if you are a mature person knowing your responsibilities, you should know you have many important things to do and should not let your temper get hold of you.

Btw, do you think Flandy Limpele got "affected" after the umpire overrule a much more blatant line call? I don't think so.

You guys are spoiling LD. :D

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Sad to say.. but its true. I also don't want Lindan to get a severe punishment as well. I guess he has to deal with the consequences. Even as friend, i also hope for the best.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

I was the one gives the "bad cop" analogy. ;) Man, I seems just like the law stories. :eek:

Anyway, I do agree with your "road rage" example, as we should behave and obey rules, even under extreme conditions. However, as I repeatly pointing out, we are human but not robots. We have emotion, which could cause some issues. Like your "road rage" case, what about you are not happy, honking repeatly to warn the other driver, then cop gives you a ticket? Do you at least try to argue your way to protest? What about you are getting nervous, trying to changing lanes and result into an accident? Do you at least, provide the story and try to protect your own rights? I am sure, when you face the other driver, you might yell him/her out from your lungs. Again, I am not saving it could be right, or it will get you into deeper trouble. However, I understand it's human, and it's understandable.

Well, I guess we at least agreed that certain penalty should be given. Whether how serious or whether BWF want to consider the "causes", it's another story. :rolleyes:

10. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I never said getting angry at line judges is a "crime" or something like that. What I always said is that such behavior is stupid and unprofessional. :cool:

What would happen if when the cop was deciding my case, there is another guy who tried to persuade the cop that I was guilty, and then I lost control and threw my cell-phone at this guy? ;)

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You should be punished, at the spot.

However, once got into the court room, the judge should consider what's the intention of the 3rd party is. If s/he fairly explain his/her observation (whether it's correct or not, due to angle of observation), you taking full responsibility. If s/he simply lying (i.e. the other party's friend, and intentionally mis-lead the judgement), you might be set free. :rolleyes:

12. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    In that case, any crime is understandable, because arrogance, greed, jealousy, mental illness etc. are all human nature.

So, no matter who does wrong, whether LD or Taufik or Hitler, we should understand them.

Note: I'm not linking Hitler with LD or Taufik.

Actually, I do understand LD's frustration, but his racquet-throwing (and especially the look on his face when he threw the racquet) is just totally out of control. He needs a reality check, but I doubt he will ever get one because many people still thinks he is right, therefore he also thinks he is right.

13. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Despite everything, I think it is entertaining. (yes, I am that shallow.)

And though many will disagree, I don't think it hurts the image of badminton at all.

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    On the contrary, more may be attracted to badminton. Remember what "big-mouth" McEnroe did for tennis? :D

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    If we are just talk in the context of badminton popularity, LD's racket throwing isn't gonna do any damage as most of u keep harping about (maybe even an opposite effect as it sure wipe out our 'sissy' sport image). More serious altercation like fights and rumbles in ice hockey, basketball, and head slamming assault in soccer sure didn't hurt one bit to those sports.

What hurts badminton IMO is poor/inconsistent officiating/line judging, and cheating of prize distribution. This is why badminton isnt popular yet, BWF is dragging its feet on this issue.

So please stop keep whining about LD's action is gonna hurt badminton. Give me some proofs. TH's past actions surely didn't hurt badminton, TH actually have more fans because of his bad boy image. Loud mouth john mckenroe (tennis) and loose mouth don cherry (hockey) actually promoted their respective sport.

#355 cooler, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think the title of this thread jumps the gun and implies that only one person is the guilty party and is awaiting sentence. This is a more complex problem than meets the eye. Maybe, a better name would be "Your views on the Korean Open Scuffles", which I believe is more in tune with the majority of the views since posted.

17. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    actually, i think kwun was trying to gauge the opinions of BC members on the kind of penalty LD should get for the throwing of the racket but BC members are not doing that but instead tries to cover the whole incident. there are other threads that were supposed to cater to the discussion of whether LD was the sole guilty party, the causes of the incident, the precedents to the incident and all that but due to the heated exchanges, those threads was locked. this thread should only be about the penalty for the racket throwing but alas it veered off course here too. :) nobody is saying that LD was the sole guilty party. even those who ask for penalty for LD's behaviour does not believe he is the sole guilty party in the whole incident.

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

kwun's poll is objective because it allows for the option of LD being perceived as not guilty with the choice of 'no penalty'.Although the title sounds biased, looking at the results, voters seem independent enough to be swayed by it.
    If posts were confined to be 100% on topic, it's gonna be dull and meaningless.Don't know about others but I'm more interested in how posters arrive at their decisions rather than their decisions.In the elaborations,(like this one?)going off-topic is likely but what's the harm when there's enlightenment?
    There must be threads that have perfect 100% on topic posts that are more a waste of time and space.

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's much better for LD to ask than for him to show his temper

Yes, I agree with you azabaz_ipoh.

LD was the main factor in this equation to have caused the voilent incident.

As I have said in my earlier posts, LD could and/or should have asked for that certain linesperson be replaced.

It's much better for LD to ask, than for him to show his temper.

LD was definitely guilty for his action.

And mind you, he is not an inexperienced competitor on the Badminton stage.

:):):)

20. SImplelenna

SImplelenna Regular Member

so, your hometown in Pontianak, selamat datang...Imlek becoming a holiday now in Indonesia, enjoy the celebrate...:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.