Saina Nehwal : साइना नेहवाल

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by scorpion1, Jan 14, 2013.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Husband is allowed to speak to wife like that right?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

2. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

The following article should help understand the relationship between Saina Nehwal and Kashyap Parupalli.

Link:
    https://indianexpress.com/article/e...li-kashyap-on-life-love-and-the-game-5523503/

Eat, Play, Love: Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap on life, love and the game

Shivani Naik |Updated: January 6, 2019 9:51:23 am

Excerpt:

Saina: “Training mein bhi competition hota tha. (There is competition even while you train.)”
    Kashyap: “I was not competing with her. But she used to compete with everyone in the world. Even me!”
    S: “Yes, I did. Jo bhi karo, isse better karna hai. (I had to be better than him)”
    K: “In 2005, the first year when she was my girlfriend, I won a tournament in Indore. She lost to Trupti (Murgunde) in the final. I was upset that she’d lost in the final because she was my girlfriend. She was upset that I had won! She didn’t speak to me because I won and she lost. Imagine!”
    S: “It’s not that I didn’t like him winning. But the competitive feeling is too much.”

In later years, this would play out on the biggest stage – at a World Championship, no less. The two were playing on adjacent courts in Denmark in 2013, when coach Gopichand prioritised Saina’s match over Kashyap and hopped across. Kashyap reminds both the coach and his champion ward to this day that had Gopichand hung around for the crucial end game, he could have won a medal as well.

One of India’s most intuitive stroke-makers and hardest workers, whose peak coincided with the prime years of Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei, Kashyap scalped most of the big names, but couldn’t string an entire week together for the title wins. A bulk of the pair’s conversations is devoted to analysing their game threadbare. It goes along these lines:

K: “If players were rated on the will to win, or that simple attitude that ‘This point I have to take and I will not leave the shuttle’, Saina would be No. 1 in the world. And No. 2 would be very far off. That is an ability that is inborn, it’s very tough to develop. You can train, train, train and become stronger physically, but on days when you are not physically strong, your body lets go. That pain threshold for legs and lungs — that’s an unbelievable quality.”
    S: “He can win many matches, but he loses them… He can win against the best. But I see him giving up with 3-4 points left. You won’t believe kaise koi player aise kar sakta hai. Just easily he’ll gift a match. Ye le le bhai. That’s something I don’t like much.”

S: “That’s the only point where we don’t agree on. We gel otherwise. What’s life like without Bollywood? It’s boring.”
    K: “It can be very happy also. It’s not like I don’t like Bollywood. They’re all very pretty, very beautiful. But I don’t find it very interesting. I like more intense, gritty stories.”

Basically, he likes Saina.

Like is an obvious understatement, and not just because they married on December 16, last year. Every step down the proverbial aisle over the last 13 years has been about self-discovery for both — a kind mirror, but held close. “Most of our life has revolved around me,” Saina says candidly. “I think he’s spent nearly 24 hours thinking about my game, my issues, my stress. I don’t ever remember helping him out of a stressful situation. He’s never openly told me that he is in stress, that he needs help. Whenever I can give him inputs on the game or what he needs to improve, I give. Rest I think he thinks ki isko kuchh pata nai hai life ka..” Kashyap shakes his head vigorously, indicating she’s got it all wrong.

But no one denies Saina her theory: “Maybe it’s because I still can be childish. I can’t make the big decisions for others. I can’t help someone out of a stressful situation and I know I’m bad at that. Even if he’s crying, I’ll end up upsetting him further. Mujhe woh situation control karna aata nahi. I can’t help him, I can’t help anyone. Maybe they feel bad about it. But they know Saina is not bad at heart, she just speaks it like she sees it,” she says.

The last few months in the lead-up to the wedding, Saina has also processed just how much that support has been central to her success. “I realised in the last three-four months that he only brings out the positive side in me. I’m very negative. I’m not a very positive person at all.” (“Zara pessimistic hai. I am between realist and optimistic,” Kashyap says.)

“I’m very pessimistic,” Saina continues. “Kuchh bhi cheez mein I’m one big zero. Except for working hard. I’m not the best person in everything. He gets it out, the positive bit. He gets the best out of me. Even before we were dating, he would tell me — you are good, challenge yourself to do bigger things.”

As a connoisseur of badminton’s most delicate nuances, Kashyap was the first to see an utter absence of that sense in Saina. “She’s not someone who needs to enjoy what she’s doing. She wants to be successful. It happens to be at badminton. But if it was something else, she’d be as good. She only wants to win. Badminton se aisa kuchh lagaav ya pyaar vyaar nahi hai,” he says. Saina agrees. “I basically don’t like badminton specifically. Bas, achha rehna hai, top pe rehna hai,” she says.

“Among India’s top players, there are some who love the sport. They appreciate subtle things about the sport but she doesn’t care,” he says. “She’s not involved in those things. Jeetna kaise hai batao, woh kar doongi (Tell me how to win and I’ll do it) is her mantra.”

That, or Saina doesn’t complicate her reading of the game, for if there’s one topic that her father Harvir Singh, her coach and Kashyap and she can talk endlessly about, it is Taufik Hidayat — the high priest of shuttle’s artistry. So, she isn’t entirely inured to the beauty in badminton.

But coaches like clean slates and uncluttered minds, and Saina has set winning above all else and it’s something Kashyap admires. “She’s always focussed, always pushing me, telling me, criticising me on the point that you have not worked hard at something. We are only about the game — there’s nothing else in our lives,” he says.

Saina sums it up in her own inimitable way: “He doesn’t need my help. Positive yeh hai. Negative main hoon. (He is the positive one, I am more negative). It’s just that I have got the results. It’s luck. Things fall into place. But he’s the one who is perfect in what he has to do at his game, and even in life. I am the opposite.”

For close to three seasons from end-2014, though, Saina left it all behind and hiked up to Bangalore to train with coach Vimal Kumar after she thought Gopichand couldn’t give her the personalised attention she needed. But that also meant leaving Kashyap behind at the Gopichand Academy. “Badminton always came first. That will always remain first. Kashyap understood. I said dekhte hai kya hota hai, but I had to do that,” she recalls.

But Kashyap, who was Gopichand’s first batch of trainees and remains largely devoted to his coaching, had believed the decision would play havoc. “I tried my best to resolve the situation, but it got very desperate. She had to move. I knew our relationship will be affected because I’d seen my friends’ long-distance relationships,” he recalls.

Saina, steadfast in her search to find answers for the missing World Championship medal, had sensed his restlessness but wanted to train like a monk, away from the mental demons that swirled around her in Hyderabad. “I know he felt like that. But I had to do it — not even once did I think something would go wrong in the relationship.”

Kashyap, not surprisingly, struggled. “We were together for 10 years — always seeing each other. And suddenly she was not there. ” Saina, though, had the blind faith of a zealot.

The role reversal — Kashyap worrying himself about the long-distance equation, and Saina confident about seeing that phase through — was down to the building blocks of Kashyap’s own personality. Deeply in love with the sport and mighty good at it as India’s No 1 for years, Kashyap had the game to score the titles. He went up to World No 6 but it’s the championship victories that eluded him.

“I used to enjoy national camps more than staying at home. The only reason I moved back with my parents was because my sister passed away. I could’ve stayed at the national camp all my life because I enjoy being with my friends,” he says.

Saina, in contrast, lived a blinkered but greatly successful life, where she trained and competed. Friends barely figured in her scheme of things, and all adventure was limited within those four court lines. “She’s always stayed at home. I don’t know what she likes about it. But she never needed friends. Only because of me she has made some friends. Otherwise she would only be at her home, and she would only know me,” he says.

“I can spend the whole day in a room,” she says. “In a room, yes,” he considers. “Now, in that room I need lots of my friends.”

Saina’s needs one person to bounce off her whirling thoughts. On court, it’s been her coaches. In life, it’s been her father and then Kashyap. “All I need is to irritate him,” she says. “When something bothers me, I want him or my father around, so I can irritate them. Then it’s out of my system,” she says. Kashyap exults at the inadvertent confession. “Told you right, she will keep provoking. Kuchh hota nahi response mere side se…”

“Yes, he won’t react, neither does Papa. He’ll say: ‘Theek hai beta, jo bolna hai, bolti reh.’ That thing comes out, and I’ll be perfectly alright after that,” she says.

3. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

I'll translate some Hindi statements to English. First will be the statement taken from the article. Then the statements post arrow will contain translation of some Hindi statements.

S: “He can win many matches, but he loses them… He can win against the best. But I see him giving up with 3-4 points left. You won’t believe "kaise koi player aise kar sakta hai". Just easily he’ll gift a match. "Ye le le bhai". That’s something I don’t like much.”

-->S: “He can win many matches, but he loses them… He can win against the best. But I see him giving up with 3-4 points left. You won’t believe "How can any player just do like that". Just easily he’ll gift a match. "Just take this, bro". That’s something I don’t like much.”

Most of our life has revolved around me,” Saina says candidly. “I think he’s spent nearly 24 hours thinking about my game, my issues, my stress. I don’t ever remember helping him out of a stressful situation. He’s never openly told me that he is in stress, that he needs help. Whenever I can give him inputs on the game or what he needs to improve, I give. Rest I think he thinks "ki isko kuch pata nai hai life ka..” Kashyap shakes his head vigorously, indicating she’s got it all wrong.

-->Most of our life has revolved around me,” Saina says candidly. “I think he’s spent nearly 24 hours thinking about my game, my issues, my stress. I don’t ever remember helping him out of a stressful situation. He’s never openly told me that he is in stress, that he needs help. Whenever I can give him inputs on the game or what he needs to improve, I give. Rest I think he thinks "that she doesn't know anything about life..” Kashyap shakes his head vigorously, indicating she’s got it all wrong.

But no one denies Saina her theory: “Maybe it’s because I still can be childish. I can’t make the big decisions for others. I can’t help someone out of a stressful situation and I know I’m bad at that. Even if he’s crying, I’ll end up upsetting him further. "Mujhe woh situation control karna aata nahi". I can’t help him, I can’t help anyone. Maybe they feel bad about it. But they know Saina is not bad at heart, she just speaks it like she sees it,” she says.

-->But no one denies Saina her theory: “Maybe it’s because I still can be childish. I can’t make the big decisions for others. I can’t help someone out of a stressful situation and I know I’m bad at that. Even if he’s crying, I’ll end up upsetting him further. "I am not able to control these types of situations at all". I can’t help him, I can’t help anyone. Maybe they feel bad about it. But they know Saina is not bad at heart, she just speaks it like she sees it,” she says.

The last few months in the lead-up to the wedding, Saina has also processed just how much that support has been central to her success. “I realised in the last three-four months that he only brings out the positive side in me. I’m very negative. I’m not a very positive person at all.” (“Zara pessimistic hai". I am between realist and optimistic,” Kashyap says.)

-->The last few months in the lead-up to the wedding, Saina has also processed just how much that support has been central to her success. “I realised in the last three-four months that he only brings out the positive side in me. I’m very negative. I’m not a very positive person at all.” (“She's little pessimistic". I am between realist and optimistic,” Kashyap says.)

“I’m very pessimistic,” Saina continues. “Kuchh bhi cheez mein I’m one big zero". Except for working hard. I’m not the best person in everything. He gets it out, the positive bit. He gets the best out of me. Even before we were dating, he would tell me — you are good,challenge yourself to do bigger things.”

-->“I’m very pessimistic,” Saina continues. “I am a big zero , be it in anything". Except for working hard. I’m not the best person in everything. He gets it out, the positive bit. He gets the best out of me. Even before we were dating, he would tell me — you are good,challenge yourself to do bigger things.”

As a connoisseur of badminton’s most delicate nuances, Kashyap was the first to see an utter absence of that sense in Saina. “She’s not someone who needs to enjoy what she’s doing. She wants to be successful. It happens to be at badminton. But if it was something else, she’d be as good. She only wants to win. "Badminton se aisa kuchh lagaav ya pyaar vyaar nahi hai,” he says. Saina agrees. “I basically don’t like badminton specifically. "Bas, achha rehna hai, top pe rehna hai,” she says.

-->As a connoisseur of badminton’s most delicate nuances, Kashyap was the first to see an utter absence of that sense in Saina. “She’s not someone who needs to enjoy what she’s doing. She wants to be successful. It happens to be at badminton. But if it was something else, she’d be as good. She only wants to win. "She doesn't have such love or closeness to badminton” he says. Saina agrees. “I basically don’t like badminton specifically. "I just want to play my best and be at top of it” she says.

For close to three seasons from end-2014, though, Saina left it all behind and hiked up to Bangalore to train with coach Vimal Kumar after she thought Gopichand couldn’t give her the personalised attention she needed. But that also meant leaving Kashyap behind at the Gopichand Academy. “Badminton always came first. That will always remain first. Kashyap understood. I said "dekhte hai kya hota hai", but I had to do that,” she recalls.

-->For close to three seasons from end-2014, though, Saina left it all behind and hiked up to Bangalore to train with coach Vimal Kumar after she thought Gopichand couldn’t give her the personalised attention she needed. But that also meant leaving Kashyap behind at the Gopichand Academy. “Badminton always came first. That will always remain first. Kashyap understood. I said "Let's see what happens", but I had to do that,” she recalls.

Saina’s needs one person to bounce off her whirling thoughts. On court, it’s been her coaches. In life, it’s been her father and then Kashyap. “All I need is to irritate him,” she says. “When something bothers me, I want him or my father around, so I can irritate them. Then it’s out of my system,” she says. Kashyap exults at the inadvertent confession. “Told you right, she will keep provoking. "Kuchh hota nahi response mere side se…”

-->Saina’s needs one person to bounce off her whirling thoughts. On court, it’s been her coaches. In life, it’s been her father and then Kashyap. “All I need is to irritate him,” she says. “When something bothers me, I want him or my father around, so I can irritate them. Then it’s out of my system,” she says. Kashyap exults at the inadvertent confession. “Told you right, she will keep provoking. "There's no response from my side…”

“Yes, he won’t react, neither does Papa. He’ll say: ‘'Theek hai beta, jo bolna hai, bolti reh’'. That thing comes out, and I’ll be perfectly alright after that,” she says.

-->“Yes, he won’t react, neither does Papa. He’ll say: ‘'It's okay. Say what you want to say". That thing comes out, and I’ll be perfectly alright after that,” she says.

Baddyforall likes this.
  4. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    When he sits there, he sits there as a coach, not her husband, and he is representing the whole nation and I have never heard no coach speaking to their respective wards in a tone like Kashyap does a lot of times, specially his choice of words is ridiculous sometimes. Nobody said that he is speaking for tv, badminton in itself as a game is very much interesting to watch, who wants to see or listen to stupid stuff mid match for entertainment.

Baddyforall likes this.
  5. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Do you understand mandarin, Japanese, Malay, Korean or Danish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    I do understand Hindi, English, french and a bit of Spanish. I guess Pulela Gopichand and Vimal Kumar are Indian aren't they? I am not sure though. They are so soft spoken that Gillian Clark, Steen pedersen and even Danish great Morten Frost find it difficult to hear what they are saying while coaching in mid game intervals. Your point here is idiotic anyway.

#1246 arjevo, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  7. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I was accepting your view until i saw thus post where you call another person's view as idiotic. Lol

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

8. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    Than maybe read his reply to my previous post and you will know why I call this other person's "point" idiotic. I am not questioning his view but he has no right to question my knowledge of lingos, that's idiotic and childish. On another note, I am not asking for your acceptance of my view so yeah, good day.

9. Baddyforall

But you are calling him with so many names . This is unnecessary.
    Let's leave it with that. TC.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

10. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    Firstly I didn't named or shamed him, I said his point is idiotic. Both are two different things.
    Secondly, him questioning my understanding of foreign languages after I pointed out that "I have never heard a coach talking to his/her player in a tone in which Kashyap does to saina sometimes" was childish and I stand by what I said.
    Thirdly I was never holding on to it so yeah you should leave it on that, take care as well.

11. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Today is Saina's 29th birthday. Happy Birthday to her.

Baddie lover likes this.
  12. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Saina Nehwal Achievements:

13. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Achievements continued:

Baddyforall likes this.
  14. Baddyforall

Fantastic achievements. Even though Sindhu is one step ahead in achievements. She is a trendsetter.

badmuse and Baddie lover like this.
  15. Baddie lover

Well, she's the LEGEND in her own. Catalysed the growth of this beautiful sport here in India. Though Sindhu has done way more than her in majors, but she's to do well in WTS500+ too. Sindhu has age by her side,so we can expect more titles.

Baddyforall likes this.
  16. Baddie lover

Justin L and Baddyforall like this.
  17. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Saina Nehwal in Malaysia.

18. Baddie lover

19. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Saina is fine with kashyap giving a earful to her. What a surprise!!!

Probably poor Indian woman can’t speak up against her husband

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baddie lover likes this.
  20. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    By all respect I am sure she's the "tough mouth" in the family. :p

mohans and Baddie lover like this.