Scissor kick or step through?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by John chen, Jan 17, 2019.

1. John chen

John chen New Member

Hello, i am a little confused. I was taught to hit and step through, with my non racket leg not moving. However, I watched some coaching videos, and it seems they teach a scissor kick technique where you jump and your feet switch. It the step through used in the mid court or backcourt, should I scissor kick in the mid court or backcourt? What is the correct technique? Thanks for clarifying for me.

2. Obito

Obito Regular Member

Let think about it this way. When you stand still and shuttle come into you , you hit and step through simultaneously. When you hit and step through body transfer the energy from back to front and then you can move forward. Scissor kick is used when the shuttle fly in to the back court and you need to move backward to be in front of the shuttle then you jump and perform the scissor kick then switch the feet in mid air, so when you landed, you could move forward right away.

Hit and step through is just the basic. In most quality game, people use scissor kick more often since players need to move back and front all the time unlike in beginner level people tend to hit shuttle into each other hand instead of make them moving.

3. John chen

John chen New Member

So this means that I should just stepthrough when playing a shot from the mid court?

4. Obito

Obito Regular Member

it really depends on your shot selection. From mid court, people may just jump smash to finish the shot . Step through is just a basic shot for beginner to get the idea of kinetic chain.