S'pore Open -M'sia's next generation players

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Malaysia Open / Chinese Taipei Op' started by block306, Jun 7, 2006.

1. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    Haa..?? did u mean they played as a pair :confused::confused::confused:

Edit: Oh..u meant CTF & LWW..lol!

2. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

Poor guys... I was imaging that they are invisible because they had the same height with the net

3. yannie

yannie Regular Member

I guess he meant CTF and LWW too...

Versus who?

4. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
  5. yannie

yannie Regular Member

No, I mean who did they play against? Which Malaysian players look that small?

6. hara^kazuko

they cant be below 160 cm... izzit that a so giant-n-dwarf match?

7. yannie

yannie Regular Member

LOL!!!
    Erin, now I know who EastDevil means... it's our Haktano and partner. :eek:

8. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

BAM has one accomplishment over the last 10 years, moving the IBF headquarter to KL. One of the reasons Mal lacks major titles is because of Punch Gunalan. Punch did such a good job of promoting the sports, as a result, other countries are picking up the pace and getting stronger and better each year. At the same time, Mal is still resting on old schools. So my point is Mal players are improving (LCW, WCH, ..etc) but other countries are catching up faster especially Denmark and China....in short, Mal is good, but not as good as others.

9. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

It seems that there's still hope ...

(The Star, Jun 8)

An unforgettable day for young Mohd Ariff despite defeat

SINGAPORE: Court number one at the Singapore Indoor Stadium and five-star Aviva Open Singapore badminton championships will long be remembered by talented Malaysian youngster Mohd Ariff Latiff.

The 17-year-old Bukit Jalil Sports School student from Seremban lost his first round match 15-21, 12-21 but there was no shame in his defeat. After all he was up against former world number one and current world number three Peter Gade-Christensen and the tournament's top seed.

And fittingly he received accolades from the Dane who said: “Malaysia have a very young player who is talented and can go far in his badminton career”.

“He wants to try and give everything he has. I was pushed into speed. It was a sometime before I could settle against him. I see him as a very good player with lot of variations. If he can get the power and speed at the back it will do his game good.”

Gade-Christensen was not alone in praising Ariff. Even the crowd at the stadium cheered him on when the Malaysian led 2-0 and then 5-3 until it was 8-8. Even then Ariff caught the Dane on the wrong foot on several occasions with some deceptive drop shots until the score stood at 15-14.

It was Christensen's experience that finally told as he took the game at 21-15. In the second it was the young Malaysian who dictated play but came unstuck at 10-9 and his inexperience cost him the set and match at 21-12 in
    the 30 minutes that he was court.

Ariff himself was thrilled at having got a chance to play against a world great.

“It is a chance I will never forget. To me it was a great opportunity to take the court against a world famous player like Peter. Many would have frozen at the prospect of having to meet a player of his standing but was I was not afraid.

“I took the court without fear and just went out and gave my best. I could follow his play. Of course I lacked the experience of playing a five-star tournament. I lost but I came off richer in experience,” said Ariff who has comes from a family of five brothers and five sisters – four of whom, including himself, are in the BAM squads at various age groups.
    Mohd ArIn the recent Sukma in Kedah, Ariff was a semi-finalists in the boys' individual events.

10. erin_hakkinen

Business Student
    That would be Zakry Latif, Razif Latif, Nairul Suhada Latif and of course, Arif Latif ;)

11. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

Next Sidek family?

12. erin_hakkinen

Business Student
    OMG..yeah!
    Haktano = Hobbit *faint
    Couldn't be that small..:eek: How tall is he, anyway?

13. erin_hakkinen

Business Student
    Nairul Athirah Latif & Nairul Nabilah Latif also play badminton. but according to a friend, not good enough..;) can't remember who is the elder one but if i'm not mistaken, they're 15 & 13 years old.

#33 erin_hakkinen, Jun 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  14. nelsonkong

nelsonkong Regular Member

Quantity Surveyor
    Omg...that's a good borrowed scenario...XD

I wonder Rashid is a good coach...

15. erin_hakkinen

Business Student
    hmm... i think i got their ages wrong. I'll ask Sze Yin. :rolleyes:

16. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Given the opportunities to play and experience, he should hit his peak in 2 years. A slow learning badminton player only gets going at the age of 25-26. I think KBH is in that category (sorry KBH for this labelling). But when they put on the pressure he would start exerting his presence --- when he loses a few more times, I hope he starts thinking on how to improve (you need brains not just brawn in badminton).

17. hector_iii

hector_iii Regular Member

chibe, HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA. dat kind of excuse oso can give. malaysia was never and can never reach level of denmark, indon and china. them are too lazy and pampered. no determine to success. quite happy with no 2 bcos get enuff money.

18. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I hope to be proven wrong, but I just fail to see the potential in KBH. I just have something against the way he plays which reminds me of Kwan Yoke Meng, another so-so player who had only the occasional glimpses of brilliance. My prediction is that he will not hold a higher position than the 3rd singles for Malaysia, if he can even hold on to the 3rd.

19. hara^kazuko

wow... NEVER seems way too definite... i thought we have catched up quite a bit with indonesia.. mayb u r refering to men's singles, if u look at men doubles u probably wouldnt say like dat... Malaysian Players arent lazy n pampered, they just don have to win tournaments to survive.. They will give thier best but not dying to do it..

Well, miracles do happen...

20. hector_iii

hector_iii Regular Member

KBH is juz another person free-loading on malaysian taxpayer money to go travel arnd the world. during thomas cup 2006 still remember reported in malaysian newspaper dat he want chance to play and will deliver. after dat, look wat happened, played rotten and lost to a 3rd rate mediocre player. kekekekkeke, wonder how long will kbh last under li mao?