Tai Tzu Ying ( 戴資穎 )

Discussion in 'Chinese Taipei Professional Players' started by limsy, Jun 19, 2010.

1. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Yeah, I can see why MF and GC said this. The good thing is, TTY is still young at 24 years of age so she has more chances. However, TTY should have also considered how old is her group of competitors that are a threat to her winning the WC. CM, Sindhu, HBJ, Okuhara, Yamaguchi, these are all young players close to her age. They are so young that they can get better. And they are so young, that they will be a threat to her year after year.

I mean, for the last Olympics, Chen Long was in a great position. LD and LCW were on the older side of 30. Because of LCW's age, he ran out of stamina by the finals. LCW was gassed by the second set in the finals of the Olympics, especially because LCW had a hard 3 set against LD the day before. Momota was suspended for the Olympics. And the younger players like Viktor and Srikanth hadn't developed their game enough to be a threat to Chen Long.

This is not the case for TTY. The best WS players in the world are not old and are not a few years away from retirement. TTY is in a competitive class of young WS players.

I suspect that TTY overestimated her ability to win this year. It can't make any sense that TTY's life long dream was to play the Universaide on home soil. TTY most likely thought she was so good against everybody else, that she could delay the WC for a year. That is my guess. Oh well, I hope she wins next year. Best of luck to her.

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Or maybe she just doesn't care that much about the WC like you do? :p

samkool likes this.
  3. konak

konak Regular Member

Tournament Official introducing marin and TTY:

Marin win 3 WC and 1 Olympic Gold medal
    TTY beat marin in the last 5 meeting.

who is more impressive ?

stanleyfm likes this.
  4. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

It may affect her future career though. If you have WC on your resume, it's easier for you to get coaching jobs, get funding for your own academy, become a commentator for badminton, etc. Being #1 in the world ranking with multiple SS wins is nice too, but WC strengthens your resume that much more.

Winning the Universaide does little for your resume. It's effectively a write-off. But if that was TTY's dream to win the Universaide on home soil, all the more power for her!

visor likes this.
  5. super-g

super-g Regular Member

It is not Marin's fault that TTY plays poorly at big tournaments and she does not need to beat TTY to win majors. Marin is actually leading against TTY in world championships 1-0, so if they had met at this year's world championships Marin would have been the favourite.

It's like comparing Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan. One wins many tournament, other the important ones.

6. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I'm not gonna lie, but personally I'd say Marin would be more impressive. Everyone knows that in these types of sports people play each other all the time, so mini win streaks like that will happen all the time. 3 WC and 1 OG gold on the other hand, you know it's a serial winner on the biggest stage.

7. Queof Artkis

Queof Artkis New Member

TTY will comeback stronger than ever in the upcoming AG I believe!
    She's smart and a hardworker, she had to learn from her mistakes in this WC.
    I will be rooting for her and AY to snatch the gold:)

stanleyfm and Cheung like this.
  8. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

that's like introducing a youngster who didn't play a lot of tourneys or an underdog. Like brice L, i always remember him as the one who beat lcw in the 1st wc round.

no, she has 454 matchs that bwf count and she's #1 rite now, not youngster or underdog. They would introduce tai as 2 times asian champs, 2 times all england winner

visor, Rob3rt, s_mair and 1 other person like this.
  9. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

There should be a quiz in this forum on how many posts contain this sentence

Rob3rt likes this.
  10. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

Woah at the discussion in this thread.

1. Tai's decision to play in the University games is both political and commercial. The World University Games was one of the few world class events Taiwan got to host and it meant a lot to them. They wanted to put their name on the world map as China has been trying to minimize their presence in the world scene. Taiwan's president even thanked TTY for agreeing to participate in the games.

2. By agreeing to stay for the world university games, TTY is regarded as a national hero for putting national interest before her own interest. This sparked a lot of support from her country and she received a lots of endorsements.

11. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

1. Why didn't the other Taiwan national badminton players play at the Universaide if it was so important to Taiwan? Why did the other Taiwan national badminton players skip the Universaide to play at the WC?

2. Wouldn't TTY winning the WC, and thus becoming the first Taiwanese woman to win the WC bring even more prestige and fame to Taiwan? In fact, wouldn't TTY be the first Taiwan player to win the WC? (I'm not sure if a Taiwan player/team has won the WC before).

I think you are overhyping the importance of her playing at the Universaide as her patriotism to her country. If that were the case, the other Taiwan players are not patriotic because they skipped the Universaide to play at the WC.

12. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

1. Wang Tzu Wei, Lee Yang/Lee Jhe-Huei skipped the world champs and took part in the University Games as well. Its a matter of choice.

2. That is your perspective - doesn't mean TTY and the rest thinks the same way. Or like what u said, they feel that since WC is a yearly event, they can always try the following year.

It's not an opinion from me. Just look at the videos i posted. TTY mentioned how impt it was for her to take part in the games held in her home ground. She made the decision in Jan 2017. I am sorry if u cant understand mandarin.

stanleyfm and LenaicM like this.
  13. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

2. Wait... was she even guaranteed to win the WC last year? You talk like it was already in the bag if only she would have show up. We have almost zero to none ideas of the behind the scene and the athletes, sponsors and family decisions for each career choice. At the end of the day whether she is or not a legend for a couple of you guys doesn’t make her day or her life any better. Just saying...

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Mate, I get and respect that you don't understand her decision - you've repeated that now often enough. But as with all grown up people, we sometimes make decisions that the majority of others would not have made that way. Everybody has to set priorities in life, make their own decisions and live with the consequences. And so far, I do not see any sign or have heard a single word from TTY, that she is regretting that Universiade decision in any way. So from one grown up to another, why not simply respect that decision as being the correct one for her for now.
    And just for the record - if I had to decide between a WC and Universiade at home, I wouldn't have wasted a single thought about that University thing. But as said, it was not my decision to make.

And a question to the community here - am I the only one who has been growing a massive dislike in the months since Rio regarding the "tournament cherry picking" of the top stars? I mean, we've seen so many appearances by let's say CL, LD and CM in which it was super obvious that they were clearly not there to win. Just compare the performance of those three during the recent WC with what they have shown all season so far. It's almost like they had sent poorly playing lookalikes to the previous tournaments only to show up in person at the one big season highlight. And to me, that feels like they are robbing us and the audiences the chance to see the best badminton matches possible.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about strategically withdrawing from one or more tournaments to gain energy, stay healthy and prepare for the next tournaments to come, I'm talking about these cruise-mode early round exits where you could clearly see in the body language that they weren't even trying to fight back in any way and duely gave in to the loss. Getting back to TTY, I can't recall a single match since I'm following her in which I just remotely got that impression. And even if a WC or OG title on its own shines of course a lot brighter than any SS-level title, I highly respect and admire how she has been able to keep up a ~95% form over so many months. Cause that requires an amazing amount of work and great planning by her coaching team. In comparison, it's a lot easier to focus only on one event and to have a peak form for one or two weeks maximum.

So in that regard, I really like that Grand Slam idea in tennis which is still the biggest thing to achieve there.

#1054 s_mair, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Rob3rt and Cheung like this.
  15. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Follow the discussion. Doesn't seem like you have been reading what I wrote or what others have wrote.

The point is, WC is not a guarantee. And it's possible TTY thought it was a guarantee when she made her choice last year (just speculation, we don't really know). That's one of the points of this discussion in the first place.

#1055 galaxyduo, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  16. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Probably should blame bwf for forcing players to play so many tournaments. Imo only wt750 and above should have attendance requirements for top players. If they skip events and drop rankings that's their own problem. Having good players that go to tournaments but don't try does nothing to enhance the spectacle.

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Here's a little story about TTY, a Big Mac and some little boy with his dad (coach?):

I don't understand mandarin, so I have to imagine the stroyline on my own... But I do get the message loud and clear that eating fast food will help me play better badminton and get the most toned abs ever! :D

LenaicM and stanleyfm like this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    She got the McD sponsorship a few weeks before the world championships. Blame it on McD!

stanleyfm and s_mair like this.
  19. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I understand and I completely agree to some extent
    I only complain the half-hearted performance when it is done on the biggest level tournaments, i.e. level 1000 (and 750 maybe)

Though, I still support the current system
    It is just BWF forcing it too much

As I have mentioned in some other threads, the number of compulsary tournament is too much!!
    3 level 1000, 5 level 750 and 4 level 500

It should be decreased to 3-4-3 (or even 3-3-3 maybe)
    The level 1000 is a must, I get that. But for 750, players should have flexibility on which is to join
    For level 500, we should except that they might just still do the tournament half heartedly, mostly the opponents are not of their level anyway

Level 1000 should be seen as an important tournament, level 750 as a tournament sparring, and level 500 as extra promotion for themselves

BWF don't get the balance good enough

Plus the supper messy scheduling does not help at all.........

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

3-3-3 is enough for mandatory tournaments. Players will automatically want to play 10 for the ranking, and will play some outside the regular circuit, and you really don't want to accumulate more than 15 just as the mandatory minimum - with roughly a month off, you have 11 months to play tournaments. An average of one per month is enough imop.