[Video] Form Check - Overhead Clear

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by DarkHiatus, Dec 15, 2016.

1. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

I've been in and out with the right shoulder /feet position on the deep forehand. Reason is that I have a bad habit of getting too close to the shuttle which cramps my stroke a lot. This is partially also not hitting early enough - definitely a work on progress. I think I've been working on my rear forehand corner every other week for the past half year! Do you have any ideas on why my right leg swings out on the backhand side scissor?

Yes, my partner is somewhat intimidating to play against...and there is the backhand forehand clear (it's a forehand stroke played on the backhand side, believe it or not!)

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Yo

At the moment this footwork seems like a mix up of various other patterns. For a bigger step through I think you need to come across the body more. That will stop your leg swinging out. Realistically if it's half court you probably won't need a flying step, because the distance isn't that great. Try doing the drill with returning to the centre of the court each time, and you might find your footwork is more clear.

3. DarkHiatus

Can you clarifying coming across the body more? Not sure what you mean.

I've intentionally left it half court as Cheung previously noted that returning to centre is probably too much when I want to focus on clearing. To be fair, LCW also uses a flying step even on half court warmups, so even if the step is small, I'm happy to do it (sometimes I don't if I'm taking a lower clear though).

4. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    At the moment you try to step outwards as you step through, and then correct it. Try to step more directly across the body as you swing to avoid the outward movement.

It seems like a pretty minor thing though. I recommend you make yourself work harder in footwork (starting from middle rather than one side bias). It can help a lot.

DarkHiatus likes this.
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I agree with Visor.

If you are stepping out to the right, the hitting point is ok.

However, if you don't need to step out, the hitting point is about one foot too far to the right and the elbow is bent a bit too much. Now, it may not be a big problem because Jan O Jorgensen has a similar overhead. However, it does put you in a minority and he happens to be really, really good.

The right leg sticking out on a scissor kick is quite a common problem. You haven't quite got the correct axis of rotation on the hips.

Try shadow practicing with the right knee coming up high in front of you on the rotation with the scissor kick. Make an effort to get the knee to at least the height of your hip. You might fall over trying to practice it. Once you have the balance with the knee coming up, you do not have to be so strict.

DarkHiatus likes this.
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

@DarkHiatus

Another exercise to stop your right leg swinging outwards.... Practice the scissor kick and overhead action next to a wall.

If you kick the wall, your right foot will hurt. That will force your leg to come in.

Secondly, if your right arm hits the wall, it will hurt. Guess what next? :)

Third, if you practice scissor kick and overhead action, and then your right arm and right foot don't touch the wall, you are definitely standing too far away from the wall. ;)

7. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Hello China :D

Cheung likes this.
  8. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I think your form looks ok. Sometimes a little bit low, but sometimes very good. Just strive for early now. Even when hitting out to the side, you could reach a touch higher, but its pretty good.

The weird right foot flick is a product of your kick through (or scissor kick depending on what mood I am in when I type). Ideally, you should be jumping mainly vertically upwards, keeping your body upright. You might even be jumping slightly backwards, but the body will still feel like you are jumping more upwards and you have a good upright torso. If you have to lean backwards, keep your feet on the floor, and hence there will be no weird flick.

What I don't like about the drill is how obvious it is you won't smash the shuttle. You are practising your clears, but you are not moving with the intent that you might play an attacking shot. It is something I would encourage you to do, as it builds your deception and shot quality. I know its easy to think "I will just get my clears right" and then worry about everything else, but I encourage you to remember that a really good, solid racket preparation, where I don't know what shot you will play, is part of the shot. It also helps you get your contact point and balance right.

Good stuff!

DarkHiatus likes this.
  9. DarkHiatus

Thanks for the feedback. The right leg scissor is just me thinking it looks very...wrong. The actually effect on my play, I don't know. I'll have a go of all of the suggestions - having reviewed the pros, keeping the right foot on the floor does seem to be a key, especially when moving backwards. When the movements are large enough that the right leg can't stay on the floor (e.g. jump smash into rear BH corner), it seems the right leg does naturally move to the right.

I wholly accept your criticism on my (lack of) preparation. From this position, the worst you'd see is a straight drive down the line.

For me, my movement patterns for a clear and a smash are obvious. It's something I need to get rid of in my mind mentally - that idea that "if I've put so much effort in to get here early in time for a perfect smash, why should I play a clear when it only takes a little more effort for a smash?"

The answer is clearly to be unpredictable, but when I get into the smash position the temptation is so strong. It does mean that if I DON'T get into a good smash position, I will generally only play a clear, drive, or drop...

10. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Yeah, I understand... but I think its more about enjoying the look on their face when you put all that effort to get into a good smash position, and watch as you hit a punch clear with devastating effect over their heads as the prepare to defend a smash. The other thing to say is its not about clears, its about dropshots as well. If you only ever smash when you are in position for a smash, you are so predictable it becomes a weakness. The goal is to have all your shots look the same... and just so you know, getting the preparation right just makes accuracy and consistency so much easier. You wouldn't have a problem of mishitting smashes. You wouldn't have a problem of body off balance round the head etc...

Focusing on one thing often fixes others if you know where to look, and preparation is just a huge (but simple) thing that most people get wrong through laziness or lack of awareness. Want to look like a professional badminton player? Get the preparation right. Without it, something always just looks off!

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Practice against the wall. A few swings of your leg against the wall will teach you a huge amount.

12. DarkHiatus

I will do! How close to the wall would you say my right foot should be before the scissor? Just to make sure I'm not too close to the wall (or far away). Couple of inches? Half a foot? Touching the wall?!

Cheung likes this.
  13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Stand perpendicular to the wall, right side of body about one foot away from the wall. Then practice stepping back and doing your scissor kick with a clear /smash arm action. Do it slowly at first.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Imho don't get sidetracked by focusing on the scissor kick "like the pros". That is the result and effect of hip rotation, which is the cause and which is what you should focus on instead. This allows you to generate additional power from your body momentum.

Once you get the hip rotation right, the leg will naturally follow as a result.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

#94 visor, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017