Which color of shuttlecock should I use?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Truck, Mar 28, 2004.

1. SmashingPower

SmashingPower Regular Member

student, but desperately to get retired
    Canada. China. Sweden. I do live in many places, y
    with all that colour, what is colour white??? regular milkshake?

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    control yourself now bluejeff :p

Attached Files:

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that surely gives the name "Hi-Qua Blue" a totally different meaning! :)

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    uh....hm.........
    Where is my wallet.....
    Time to get some.....
    By the way, isn't the feather feeling like a little bit dry? (since they are colored)

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
  6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Information from their site could be outdated. I got some extra from a guy who had ordered a batch of colored hiqua for a recent tournament, about 2 months ago i think

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

It's a blue world O.T.

A true scientific breakthrough: the blue rose
    By David Harrison
    (Filed: 23/05/2004)

It is the "Holy Grail" of horticulture and soon it could make the perfect present for Mother's Day: scientists have found a way to produce a blue rose.

A chance discovery in a laboratory means that they will be able to create the blue rose "within a year" and it is expected to go on sale to the public soon after that.

How the blue rose could look
    Rose breeders and growers said that blue roses would be hugely popular and estimated that they would win five per cent - £35 million - of the £700 million international market for cut roses.

Roses come in many colours - from pink to yellow, peach and red - but, until now, no one has found a way to create a natural blue rose and the quest has acquired an almost mystical significance among breeders.

The discovery was made by chance by two biochemists conducting research into drugs for cancer and Alzheimer's in a medical laboratory at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee.

Professor Peter Guengerich and Dr Elizabeth Gillam were trying to find out how the human liver breaks down drugs when they came across a liver enzyme that had a startling effect.

"When we moved a liver enzyme into a bacterium, the bacterium turned blue," Dr Guengerich said. "We were aware that there were people in the world who had been interested in making coloured flowers, especially a blue rose, for a number of years.

"Dr Gillam had the bright idea that we could capitalise on our discovery by moving the gene into plants - and produce a blue rose."

The scientists, who have patented the process, describe their findings in an article in the next issue of the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. Rose growers and breeders - who have spent years experimenting with grafts and cross-breeding in unsuccessful attempts to produce a blue rose - gave a mixed reaction to the discovery.

Ian Kennedy, a spokesman for the British Association of Rose Breeders, described the findings as exciting.

Peter Beales, the president of the Royal National Rose Society, was less impressed. "It might be a novelty for a year or two then it will probably disappear into oblivion," he said.

A spokesman for the Conservative Party declined to say whether it would consider adopting the blue rose as its emblem - trumping Labour's red rose - but one official said: "All things are possible. Perhaps one day we will see a true blue rose as the symbol of the true blue party."

:eek: :confused: :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

Attached Files:

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

A Chinese Jumping Frog (polypedates dennysi).

Attached Files:

9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

just showing consideration for the colourblind people out there who might have thought they were brown.

I've used yellow plastics and feathers in some halls, and it tends to depend on what sort of lighting the hall has as to how well they stand out (in the air as opposed to against the walls)

10. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I think I need to order some blue shuttles (soon) !! :)

(I always want to hit some blue shuttles everytime I looked at the pictures.)

11. event

event Regular Member

Blue? I guess if Jeff is himself blue, he should definitely try them. Myself, I play in two gyms that have white and dark green walls so I think that a bright yellow would be just fine.

There are 3 yellow feather shuttles that I have seen in addition to those Hi-Qua ones:

A Tronex brand available in Korea:

http://www.badmintonmart.com/Shop_Image/Products/103200.jpg

The Carlton Hi-Vis the AG-10 version of which has been advertised here but, according to the company, is not yet available:

http://www.carltonsports.co.kr/carlton/06.shuttle/zoom/01.jpg

and the Victor Queen Yellow from the European Victor:

http://www.badminton-world.de/shop_details.php?sessionid=6ca15a9de0edd4ceb0bc692ec6ee4a54&art_nr=50203&position=39

...but my question is whether any of you have tried them. A Carlton employee here told me they were being tested to see if the yellow dye affected the flight at all. I passed up an opportunity to buy the HI-VIS in the Philippines or Hong Kong (I can't remember). A guy in Malaysia told me that Carlton shuttles weren't welcome there (No kidding! I'm quoting, although I did find white Carltons at a different store there later). Korea doesn't have them yet and the Tronex one is only sold by the box (which I consider risky, having just wasted a pile of money on some crappy Victors). We can't get HiQua over here.

12. Michael-Lam

Michael-Lam Regular Member

Student / Badminton Coach
    people use feathers in competition becasuse they are slower, when they are slower that means that they are much heavier than nylon once you play with feather you will enver want to go back t nylon. Feather shuttles help you game out a lot it increases the amount of power in your wrist.

13. j_e_thompson

j_e_thompson Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Carlton Hi-Vis are available in the UK in AG-6 and AG-10 versions. Check out http://www.centralsports.co.uk/shop.php?page=browse&category=26&manufacturer=2&subcategory=27&order=make

I bought some AG-6 Hi-Vis and tried them out over the summer. Some seemed quite durable and some only lasted a couple of rallies (I think that was down to the way I stored them though, not having bought feathers before).

14. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

I've got some black-dyed shuttles that I got in Japan. The shop owner said they were designed to improve concentration by making the shuttle harder to see. So i guess they are only meant for training.

15. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

so it'l lbe like when they close/block your eyes in martial art...:eek: hear by the movement of the air...kungfu technique :D ;)

PS: I don't do martial art, unless u r talking about badminton, ofcourse :p

16. event

event Regular Member

That durability experience doesn't surprise me. We have only AG-8's here in Korea and they don't seem to last very long so if AG-6's were not durable it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Storage and care can make a difference, though, as you mention. No one steams shuttles here and yet the people I play with in Canada do and it probably prolongs the life a little bit.