which SMASH is more powerful? standing or jump!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by khan09, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Omg

Doesn't Superman fly in such a fashion? ;)
    Yeah, quite logical. We now have scientific evidence :D

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think this is a good post to conclude this long and hotly debated thread. Only a controlled experiment may resolve this. I say 'may' because it could be player's technique/skills dependent, and any difference in power (shuttle velocity) would be too small as well.

3. quisitor

quisitor Regular Member

Conclusion.

Clearly, the jump smash. Clearly.

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    it's up to the player.

5. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

Why don't we make a poll?
    At least from all BC member we know the answer.
    For me Jump smash (personal experience)
    :D :D :D

6. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i'm not saying that majority is always right, but it's pretty apparent that jump-smashing(double-leg) has got significantly more votes:)

It's up to you whether to draw a conclusion from this, or you can simply make your own:)

And i guess the best solution is to survey a group of pros. :D

7. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    A smash, that wins a point consistently, even when fired straight at the opponent, be it jumping, or standing, is the most powerful.

Seriously people. You can say that somebody's stand smash is harder than their jump smash because the jump smash is not 100% executed for power at that moment. Either that, or they have poorer form jump smashing than stand smashing. Likewise, I could say that somebody's jump smash is harder than their standing smash because that person has totally devoted themselves to jump smashing, and has better form jump smashing vs stand smashing.

You could say that one person jump smashes than the other, but that claim can be rebuked because we're comparing 2 people; no matter what you say, unless you are able to find sombody with identically perfect smashing, and jump smashing form, and then track how fast their smashes are at an equal level of fatigue, and warm up time, then you're not going to prove anything.

8. the_oro

the_oro Regular Member

pretty boring profile -_-
    jump smash hands down!

you still rotate just as much as a scissor kick, only your legs are bent not straight, plus you get the kick and the shuttle's in the air for a shorter amount of time due to the steeper angle, ergo the shuttle doesn't slow down as much

c'est ca!

9. Monster

Monster Regular Member

i don't know if anyone has said this earlier, but i think how high you can jump is also a factor.

the higher u can jump, the longer you are airborne, the more complete torso rotation you can make, the more power. just imagine a standing smash with a full torso rotation and arm swing compared to one with only the arm swing (pronation?) or worst, stick smash, clearly the former is more powerful.

imho, jump smash can be powerful if u can execute it properly. otherwise, go back to standing smash, if you are looking for brute power. sorry, no conclusion, but more of the loop statements.

10. kennlim87

kennlim87 Regular Member

Studying
    Theoretically, the higher the point of contact, the more energy the shuttle will possess due to the higher potential energy being possess which will be converted into kinetic energy in the process of falling. Talking about energy of a jump smash and a normal smash, a birdie of a jump smash will possess more gravitational potential energy which will be converted into kinetic energy and therefore will travel faster as the birdie falls. But the direction of the speed increasing is downwards towards the ground and not diagonal because work is done by the force of gravity. Now how is speed related to power? The definition of power is work done over time. So, we can say P = Fs, where s is speed. Therefore, power is directly proportional to speed.

Anyway, after talking so much crap about physics. wad i'm trying to say is that if the jump smash technique is executed correctly, it would be more powerful, that is theoretically. There are other factors that might also increase the power of a jump smash like momentum of the forearm pronation and stability of ur body's centre of mass.

Anyway, just smash wadeva way you feel comfortable with. That's most important.

11. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Holy Crap

Absolutely wrong. :)
    The shuttle will be slowest at its highest point (which is why it finally falls instead of going on upwards).

There... you got it right. :)

There... you got it right again. :)

12. DivingBirdie

student
    oldhand is a meanie

though i'm on the jump-smash side of the debate...sorry but i must say this is not a very correct picture:rolleyes:

We must remember the effect of air resistance on shuttlecocks, which renders the acceleration due to gravity rather insignificant in contributing to final velocity of the shuttle.(it does play an important role in trajectory though:p)

In simpler terms, terminal velocity reached by the shuttle might be even less than speed imparted by a powerful smash!:D

but if we neglect the effects of air resistance (which is quite a no-brainer thing to do for BADMINTON), the idea of your theory is more or less correct. Using some common projectile motion equation...(v^2 = u^2 + 2as), (s=ut + 0.5at^2) a greater height allows the shuttle to reach a higher velocity by the time it reaches the opponent. ( assuming similar initial force and angle of action).
    To calculate for different hitting angles, simply use Trigonomentry to resolve vertical and horizontal components. (for curiousity sake you can explore different heights, angles, such as below net, upwards angle). They will all fall in place neatly:)

#112 DivingBirdie, Sep 20, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  13. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

Your theory will be right if it is done without half hearted with one sudden explosion at the right timing that slam down deep angle(deeper more faster)smash deeper to the front if your opponent tense to move back(less chance for opponent to reach and not to worry on landing when you at peak of the air,nothing should border you while you jump,coz this make you half hearted, you'll be confident and experience coz always practice that smooth fine landing,and you be naturally own that landing skill.Remember for deeper angle need to jump higher.

This usually happen when the game goes hot and badly wanna win or and opponent taught it gonna be a long rally but you give a sudden death.

#113 Temasek Green, Sep 20, 2007
  14. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

My only problem that I'am still trying to avoid is that at the end of the swing during landing my racket head sometimes(but not at every smash) hit my birdie which is very pain,i need to put on guard.More gear = more weight + less comfort.(This is separate issue lol..)

15. kennlim87

kennlim87 Regular Member

Studying
    Ur right.. so wad i mentioned above would not explain whether a jump smash is more powerful. lolx..:D

16. khan09

khan09 Regular Member

WAYS TO IMPROVE JUMP SMASH ? leave what's powerful?

I regards the views of everyone & thanx to all who response to my thread!
    I think guys a lot much talk about which smash is powerful , I reached a conclusion that concept of smash vary from people to people everyone has its own . i too realised angle is better than power cause its difficult to handle. well now i think atleast i 'm bit agreed that jump is more powerful if its executed accurately because it looks sound good when it hit correctly . or we can also see in international video where professial player use it . but i think jump smash requires alot training to be executed perfectly.
    SO now , i request we all should discuss the right exercise to get right powerful jump smash . thanx

17. Craig

Craig Regular Member

Hollywood Video and hoping to coach
    In a jump smash i think its all mainly about timing and the upper body strength and movement. stomach muscles play an important role in a jump smash, because if you notice when you watch a professional player such as lin dan or peter gade or taufik hidayat, you see that they throw their body into the smash just as much as the rotation of the torso and its all in one motion but in the air. i learned my jump smash from just watching and practicing, so i say sit ups and torso exercises are best for jump smashing

#117 Craig, Sep 20, 2007
  18. DivingBirdie

student
    nuff said

for those who can understand chinese...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF0zB2Ygz4o :cool: for non-chinese speakers you can just check out the pictorial explanations. i liked the vid's explanation on smashing mechanics

19. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I noticed that when i jump verticle, ie straight up that my smashes are not as
    powerful when i jump forward for a smash or standing. it's probably my jumping technique that is crap:p.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    those animations are pretty hokey imo.
    only LD is doing the true jumpsmash. Most other players in that video are jumping for height.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.