XVIII ASIAN GAMES 2018 : Individual Event (23-28 August)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Aug 22, 2018.

1. konak

konak Regular Member

every system has it flaws, isn't it?
    here's advantage of AG system imo. Every country only send their very best athlete. in an open tournament or even in WC and Oly, where each country can send more than 2 players, players from country with many strong athletes will have advantage over player with only one strong athlete. They will use team order when playing against each other, and fighting very hard against player from other countries. This is a classic story china versus non china.
    In asian games, you only play against your team mate in final, in other system, your team mate may assists you to play in the final. Do you remember olympic 2000 WS semifinal ?

stanleyfm, Cheung and Anks like this.
  2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

The reasons its 2 player per country is to give more tension to the reps..I think that is great, its just like Olympics but Actually i think AsianGames is better because there is no group stages, you can lose in 1st/2nd round especially in singles there is lots of upset because ( there is no LinDan to give you hidden strength for example)

Unlike in WC, there are 4 reps too much psychological boost. So pros and Cons but with tension i will go with AsianGames.

stanleyfm and Anks like this.
  3. Metaphysician

Metaphysician Regular Member

Yeah look at the indonesians who were hiding their prep during world chmps....

4. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Indonesia not necessarily has most individuals gold medals, even taipei can have more. But they have the most medals. and youth players too. I think its a success.

stanleyfm and Anks like this.
  5. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

[​IMG]

On top of that, there are over 11,000 athletes from 45 countries competing in 2018 Asian Games. Meanwhile, with added officials the total number of participants are around 16,000 people. This is the largest number of participation in the event’s history. The highest ever recorded previously took place during the 2010 Asian Games in Guangzhou China that saw 9,501 people participating in 42 sporting events. Meanwhile, the 2014 Icheon Asian Games saw 9,501 participants.

So, anyone who says that Asian Games isn't a prestigious multi-sport event is either ignorant or really ****in dumb. xD

#1905 RoarRa, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Anks likes this.
  6. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    the thing with Indonesia is that it has made a mark in badminton with its players and their legacy.

With JoJo and ASG in their current form if keep making podium finished at majors Im sure they will one day fulfill their career with at least an Olympic medal and that would be great for MS indonesia

Though I fear for WS department more I hope they improvise that.

I think its really important for these young players to now start working hard to never return home without a medal and every time they go for majors they should have at least a bronze around their neck.

I hope JOJO wins..he really needs this..also Ctc is determined player and hus paitence yesterday gave her the game and I Hope ASG will learn from him and try to be not in a hurry next time.

7. Anks

Anks Regular Member

I agree with ya mate...Asian Games are actually Mini olympics the compition is soo F'in Hard.

I used to be one of those who undermined it but Naa..AG are a big real Deal.

Thats the reason its a "MAJOR" event

8. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

Well, I think the reason why these INA players seemed to push themselves to their limits in this Asian Games because of this...:p:D

Winning gold can make you an instant millionaire in two SEA nations

CAN athletes be instant millionaires?

You can, if you are an Indonesian or Filipino gold medallist at the ongoing Asian Games.

It pays really, really well as the hosts are dishing out a whopping cash bounty of 1.5 billion rupiah (RM420,000) for a gold medallist.

On top of that, the winning Indonesian athletes receive a public housing unit and the opportunity to take up jobs in the country’s civil service, or to join the police force or army.

Many Indonesian athletes come from humble backgrounds, so the prospect of housing, cash and a job for life in the civil service is like a dream come true.

Indonesia is hoping to capitalise on its home advantage as the host nation to break into the top 10 in the medal table for the first time since 1990 with at least 14 gold medals in the bag.

And Indonesia did not wait too long before giving out the incentive – in fact, the first to receive a symbolic cheque for 1.5 billion rupiah (RM420,000) is taekwondo exponent Defia Rosmaniar.

She received it from Indonesia’s Sports Minister Imam Nahrawi after winning the nation’s first gold in the women’s individual poomsae on Aug 19.

“The money is pooled from various sponsors. It’s a one-time incentive as we are the hosts for the Asian Games,” said Nahrawi.

Lindswell Kwok delivered the second gold for Indonesia and the pretty wushu exponent even got the keys to a new car from her association.

The Philippines also does not want to be left behind in dangling the carrot for the athletes as now, their woman weightlifter Hidilyn Diaz is smiling all the way to the bank.

The 27-year-old knew she hit the jackpot after lifting her way to the top in the women’s below 53kg category and received a cash windfall of six million pesos (RM460,850) for the gold.

Even Hong Kong are doling out huge sums for their athletes.

Hong Kong athletes will share a HK$20mil (RM10mil) jackpot at the Asiad, thanks to cash incentives being doubled.

And the first recipient of the monetary gain is Jacqueline Siu, who hit the jackpot in her fourth Asian Games outing by winning the equestrian individual dressage for Hong Kong’s first gold medal of the Games.

Shuttler P.V. Sindhu, who is hoping to be India’s first gold medallist at the Games, is already a millionaire as she has been named by Forbes as the seventh best-paid female athlete in the world with a total fortune of US$8.5mil (RM34.92mil) from tournament earnings and endorsements. Her value will be even higher if she smashes her way to gold in Indonesia!

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/sa...naire-in-two-sea-nations/#jUKMvjmM5A8AEuKi.99

Thats also the reason why INA players didnt seem to take WC seriously.. You got no $$$ from winning that event whatsoever! xD

Cheung, Anks and Metaphysician like this.
  9. Metaphysician

Metaphysician Regular Member

:D:D
    Exactly why athletes focus on olympics and asian games in badminton coz almost all of the world class athletes are present and it translates to national pride boost and dollars.

PVS won rio 2016 silver when her nation was desperate for even a single medal...hence she became instant 100 millionaire too.Timing is important too but that is not in your hands....If u are an athlete ,You should hope others from your country do not win but you win at the end to be most profitable:D;)

Anks likes this.
  10. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Where can I see the MD & MS finals live on the net? I know Indosiar is broadcasting Badminton live throughout the event.
    I found Indosiar's youtube channel.

11. indrg

indrg Regular Member

12. Anks

Anks Regular Member

I think some SONY LIVE or LIV App it telecasts matches live..thats where i see mate

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It works for you? It didn't for me even though I used VPN.

14. Anks

Anks Regular Member

For PVS its a success Story for her all the way..Even though she hasnt won a Gold however..its just that her presence at the podium as a Silver queen has made her place herself in the history books of Badminton.

And this is what shes being paid so well for..I mean 4 Consecutive Major Silvers and this AG might just be 5th one and we have to remember the word "CONSECUTIVE" like thats some awesome consistency and as steen mentioned in his tweet..this is her 5Th Major finals..I dont remember when i saw any WS player last being so consistent in her performance .

Kudos to her for being the richest Woman Badminton player in the world.

15. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

that's why Malaysia sports never get rich because of super poor performance in any sports event, even hosting in own country also unable to achieve big at all...

16. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

No wonder Sindhu keeps getting silver, you gotta believe that getting silver is making her more famous than getting gold. Feels like attachment.

Anks likes this.
  17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Indonesia has done really well in this AsianGames and its not about the Gold or what. There are many sports that have broke through and got Bronze. I hope they keep improving. People can say some of the golds come from Pencak Silat but Indonesia also put Wushu, Karate, Judo, Taekwondo which comes from China Japan Korea. I guess losers always complain.

18. Anks

Anks Regular Member

I think whats making her famous is her place as a silver medalist..In such tough competitive circuit this girl has won 4 Consecutive Silvers in and it could be 5Th today and just 3 years.

Her presence at majors is what has made her more famous than her medals..once you keep seeing a player at major podiums that player embeds in the memories of people

And fortunately for her she has done that.

She already has all the best SILVERS in her collection lol *Oly,WC,AG and CWG
    .now all she need is a Gold and Voila She might even leave Badminton Mens players behind ans become the richest Badminton player all over the world lol

19. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Agree! IMO winning a major does not make a player a legend. It is a combination of consistent performance, winning titles on the circuit/at the majors, i.e. the final scorecard, that defines a player's legend status.

For example Shin Baek Chol/Ko Sung Hyun became world champions winning the WC 2014 MD gold medal. IMO, they are definitely elite players but it doesn't make them legends in the MD discipline (no offence to their fans)

Metaphysician, kurako and Anks like this.
  20. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    ASIAN GAMES GOLD MEDAL PREDICTION

MS : CTC
    MD : MINIONS
    WS : TTY

volcom likes this.