Yonex Aerobite Boost

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by fiq_axis, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Kento

Kento Regular Member

2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Has anyone tried this string yet? The mains are 0.72mm Vectran strings so basically a thicker BG80, so I don't get why not just do BG80 and BGAS...

3. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Been thinking of giving a review.

BGABBT on DZS @30lbs.
    To me, long story short, is NOPE.

I can see why Kevin/Ayaka Takahashi/Axelsen changed over, they were using BG80 just before or in Axelsen's case, not long before this Aerobite Boost. If you like Vectran, you can give it a go, I guess?

Otherwise this reminds me of why I didn't gel with BG80 back then. It makes the racquet head especially unnecessarily weighty, like how BG80 did. .72 really really just isn't for me. I liked the .7 BG65, but it needed crazy tensions to wake it up (did 34 before) and it went so slack after 2 weeks, tourney string indeed.

Tight net shots (what drop cut tight spin screwdriver hammer whatever) were fantastic, the sound on impact on a smash is more muted than vanilla Aerobite, ho hum. That friend who did all 3x DZS on ABBT cut it and went back to AB. Same thing I'd do if I were him.

In another note: This ABBT has a Aerosonic color that even JP AS doesn't. Black.
    So Aerosonic lovers, go find another mate, get 2 packs of ABBT, have him do mains and cross ABBT, and you harvest the black AS for a full black experience.

Haha!

Rob3rt and llrr like this.
  4. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Thanks for the review esppy. So you're basically saying that it feels like BG80? How does the aerosonic even complement such a thick, rough string?

5. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    So, did you ever use the BG80/No.1 hybrid combo? If so, how would you say ABBT compared with my combination?

I'm quite curious, given you've said the main is much more like BG80.

6. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Frankly, I didn't think about the aerosonic vs abbt side of things, I just really focused on the feel on impact, and to me, it sucks. At .72 the sound is less poppy and boomy than .67 AB, quite muted (gives you a mental doubt vs normal AB) and it's so much harder to get the shuttle moving again. But yes, anything front of the 2 baselines this is like AB, gives it a steeper angle than if I were to intercept with the usual NBG98.

Friend even commented that, intercept shots with shuttles' contact points that are already parallel to me, I slice, and it goes down with minimum 35 degrees of angle, landing 1/2 to 3/4 court.

I guess the frame it was on didn't help things. Duora Z Strike is already kind of a animal, and because friend's grip is thin AF (AC102 on wood) it makes the extra head weight vs AB so much more noticeable. And it's not good to me, again. Ideal scenario maybe would be doing BG80/ABBT/80P on a headlight racquet, hmmm..

On why he cut and went back to AB - he tried his hardest to give it everything and repulsion just isn't quite as much as AB, sound definitely no, and yeah, the feel.

No bro, didn't bother. What I realised is that in general, the presence of Vectran gives the string a harder feel (like a cardboard) and it's something I don't need. Guess I'm just a guy geared more to repulsion.

BG80 can be a godsend but ABBT just drives the point home for me that I can't gel with Vectran.

Anyway if you were asking....
    AB mains- rubbery
    ABBT mains- rubbery but thicker, so much thicker
    BG80- rough weave
    BG80P- smoother weave due to the coating
    BG85- surprise to me, it was smoother and thinner. Not just a simple "thinner BG80" imo.

7. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Yeah, that's fair. I didn't get along with BG80 very well on its own with my right hand. I actually don't use the 80/1 hybrid with my right either. I just string No.1 or something quite a bit higher.

BG85 was weird, to me it did feel like BG80, but it wasn't similar in hitting feel. It was notably thinner though, not the .01mm you expect. Shame it had almost no durability for me. Same with R4X 110, no durability for me. Although, G-Tone 5 seems to have lasted alright on my N9 II.

Ah, well, I've ordered a pack of ABBT to try out. I've also ordered a pack of 66F and NBG99. Never tried 99 but people rave about it, and 66F hasn't been tried in a long time, so I figure why not. I still have stocks of my usuals, but I'm always game to try new stuff out.

8. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Thanks guys. Looking forward to your opinion as well on ABBT Charlie. So far it feels like just a marketing gimmick string. As for BG85, I agree with both of your feelings. Even though it's stated as only 0.01mm thinner and still a Vectran string, it feels quite different to BG80. I remember seeing somewhere that BG85 isn't actually braided like BG80 so that's why it feels hard (Vectran) but smoother, and also why it's much less durable than BG80.

9. bootboyz

bootboyz New Member

Just for info ...

10. adrianh

adrianh Regular Member

just strung my duo-zs with abbt at 28x30. Right off the machine it has a very dull thud sound and a very low frequency (lower freq than my 2 week old bg66um on my other duo-zs). The coating on the boost doesn't seem to be as sticky as the regular aerobite.

first impressions aren't that great, we'll see how it performs on court tonight!

11. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    How was your time with ABBT?

12. baronspill

baronspill Regular Member

Played with ABBT earlier at 25x26 (10% pre-stretch), I normally play with AB. Makes a loud 'bang' sound on smashes and seems to carry the shuttle speed better than AB.

Slices were fine and ABBT at least matches AB on control performance.

Racquet head (Duo 8XP) felt a tad heavier and slower but only by about 2-5%.

ABBT definitely felt a harder, it's akin to BG80 but the AS takes the edge off.

You'd need to be a fine player to use the string in a head heavy racquet. It's probably best used in head light to even balanced racquets.

I think I might like it, as after a few games, I played two or three rallies with AB but then immediately found myself going back to my racquet with ABBT.

13. adrianh

adrianh Regular Member

i went through two training sessions and a tournament with this string this week. To be honest, i didn't notice any differences compared to the regular aerobite and it didn't make my shots better. Perhaps someone more proficient at badminton could provide a more nuanced comparison. That said however, it was definitely better than bg66um at the net.
    Tension loss seems decent. It settled down pretty quickly after coming off the machine.

Moving forward, i'd grab whichever aerobite version is on sale.

14. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Well, how is it feel-wise? I'd assume more solid, it has that same kind of clang as BG80.

15. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Restrung NF700 (from Aerobite to Aerobite Boost), both were done at 24 but the original aerobite was shop restrung.

First thoughts: My god, what a pain this stuff is to string. My recommendation, pre-weave the bottom 2-4 crosses before you tie off your mains. Aerosonic is so soft compared to what is, basically, thicker BG80 that it is a royal pain to thread. Should be noted the grey aerosonic feels a bit different, a bit more grippy/rubbery than normal stuff.. possibly the coating.

Feel is harder, but not crazy hard. Will need to play it to say more.

baronspill likes this.
  16. baronspill

baronspill Regular Member

Agree, it is a pain to restring. I had a bit of trouble on a shared hole, even though the grey Aerosonic gauge is 61mm.

Played with it in a singles tournament earlier today and at club this evening. It hits harder than the original aerobite, gives the shuttle an almighty 'thud'; clears and flick serves have to be reined in. The AB is more grippy and better for slicing due to the red aerobite coating being stickier.

String playability is similar but I'd say go for ABBT if you desire more power and AB if you need better control.

Looking forward to others' reviews. :)

Gpower likes this.
  17. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Time will tell.. I suspect a lot of people asked for BG80xAS. I personally dabbled with BG80xLN1 a lot, but never thought 80xAS would work out particularly well because the strings are so different in feeling... Maybe the ABBT is different in stiffness comparatively.

Given YY recommend AS for power and 66UM for control on the NF700, this should be an interesting test.

18. adrianh

adrianh Regular Member

surprisingly it wasn't that much more solid or hard feeling. Didn't get any discomfort in my elbow unlike what i usually get with the ln no.1. I will say though, it seems a lot more durable. Usually the aerobite would start fraying right about now.

19. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    My experience is in line with many others here - performance is very similar to regular Aerobite. Perhaps more grip, and certainly more feel. The mains had far less movement than with Aerobite.

I've never actually tried BG80 with Aerosonic. Someone that has should definitely give this a shot and then give us the run down.

It's not bad, but I'd hold reservations on this as a string until someone that's tried BG80/AS as a hybrid has commented. It might be cheaper and just as effective to use that combination. Actually a little curious how a racket fully strung with the .72mm vectran would feel.

tjiew likes this.
  20. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I'd rather have a yellow Aerosonic. :D

esppy likes this.