Badminton improvment

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Lau314, Feb 7, 2018.

1. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Oh, I concur 100% that proper stance is absolutely essential.

With body language, I meant stuff like facial expression and display of exertion. I find that while top players tend to be more emotional, a more reserved demeanor is seen as well, and on its own does not seem to impede success.

lotusknight likes this.
  2. guitar_pic

guitar_pic Regular Member

MIS Sales Consultant
    Perhaps it would help if you tell us what your training regiment is. Do you do one on one with the coach? Or is it a group environment?

3. Lau314

Lau314 New Member

I train group environment. So there is no chance in a billion light years that we will have multi shuttle training or something intense. And the biggest problem of all theres only one coach in the club, 80% of the things that I have learned is all by watching professional players play

4. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Why not? If you have 1 court per 6 or less people, multifeeding is certainly possible. There are two options: Either have an exercise you do without coaching supervision and rotate to the coach, or everybody learns feeding themselves, so you feed on all courts.

Also, intense exercises are certainly possible. In fact, if you have a players:coaches ratio of above 12, athletic training is the easiest to supervise, and probably the most effective.

In addition, for athletics in general as well as badminton movement you don't really need a coach. A court is sufficient. Just imagine playing against a very good singles player (your idol, if that helps) and mimic the shot you'd do. Every rally should be at least 20 shots in total long.

Oh, and while I'm not remotely as qualified as @speCulatius, I must note that light years is a measure of distance, not time.

5. guitar_pic

MIS Sales Consultant
    Ok, then is the group level all then same for your whole club? Is there any higher level group that you can join?

If what you say is accurate about learning mostly from watching, then you may need to look at other badminton centers that hopefully are close to you and see if there are other coaches there.

A group environment setting is perfectly fine, but it sounds like you have reached the highest level that is available to you in that place.......

stanleyfm and Cheung like this.
  6. Lau314

Lau314 New Member

In my city theres only one badminton club.
    The club I am playing at has 3 competitive groups. I am in T2 (competitive group 2) and T1 is the higest group where elite players are. If i want to move up i have a long way to go. And I don't really improve at all in the group i am in. I have to play with people that is worse then me and I can win them with just walking on court. So I guess thats where I picked up the lazyness

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What do the elite group do that you don't do? Like how do people move from T2 to T1?

T1 don't appear like magic of out of thin air.

8. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Do you want to become a better player? If so, there's much you can do yourself, on and off court.

Is there somebody else in T2 who wants to become a better player? As long as they can feed or learn to feed, you can improve with them. Also, exercises like 1v3 corners can be done even with very diverse playing strengths.

But even if they're not into training, you can sometimes train with them. For instance, when you're warming up playing clears, you can move to the front service line after every shot, to train movement and shots under pressure.
    And if they're just bad, you should really win every game 21-0, 21-3 at the most. If they score more than 3 points (well, really 0 points), it means you can improve. Once you consistently beat everyone else with scores of 21-3 and below, your coach would be insane not to let you join the advanced training.

9. Lau314

Lau314 New Member

I don't know how to put this but there are a few people that wants to get better but their teqnique and timing is too bad. How do I know this? We once had a feeding exercise where one throws over the net and i return with a net then he lifts and i clear. The guy that I was with (he was one of the people that wanted to get better) he threw good but 90% of the time when he would lift back it always went mid court making the exercise not so effective. But I guess I can't blame them for being not in the same level I mean I am still in T2 so that means that I still lack something improtant.

10. Lau314

Lau314 New Member

The head coach decides if you move up or not based on your skill. The guys in T1 is overall better then me.
    They have speed technique everything.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

They must have been T2 in the past. How did they develop better skills ? Did they have extra training and coaching at T2 level to get to T1 whereas the others who got stuck didn't do anything extra?

12. guitar_pic

MIS Sales Consultant
    The head coach? So is there another one there aside from the person presently coaching you?

Look, if you really desire to improve then you will need to do a few things that I am sure will be out of your comfort zone:

1. If there's a different coach training the T1 people, then go to him/her and ask what is needed to joint that group. Or ask that person to asses you so that you can get a better idea of how far away you are skill wise from being able to join the group.

2. Do you know any of the players from the T1 group? Approach them and see if they are able to help you out on their spare time with drills or training tips. Or even just asking if you can join them during their outside runs will also help. If you don't know anyone there, then just pick someone and introduce yourself.

3. Even if you are not there yet based on your current skill, I would show up during the T1 training sessions and watch them train. Observe carefully what they are doing and take notes.

Where there's a will, there's a way. It really is a matter of how much do you really want it.

visor and stanleyfm like this.
  13. phihag

phihag Regular Member

@Cheung has some very good meta points, but maybe the coach doesn't see the right mindset in you - that would explain them calling you lazy.

Are you
    ... consistently there during training times, and only skip it when you are sick?
    ... always first in the hall and only late in exceptional circumstances?
    ... always the last one to leave the hall?
    ... always giving your best against any opponent (see me previous post, you should really beating the bad players 21-3 or better)?
    ... properly warming up and cooling down even when the coach isn't looking?
    ... training on your own (for instance, full speed shadow badminton, or footwork across court in a pattern) when there's nobody else available and after the others have left/started to chat?
    ... training on your own during "chat time", i.e. bringing your water bottle to the court instead of going to your bag between exercises?
    ... always doing one more repetition than everybody else, unless you are the last one to finish?
    ... doing off-court core and athletics training on your own at home or outside?
    ... bringing all your equipment with suitable numbers of spares?
    ... taking notes during training, especially when you got feedback you weren't aware before? (I can recommend an A7 notebook.)
    ... listening when the coach gives instructions, and shushing players who talk over the coach?
    ... writing down your goals on a medium-term (e.g. play a good backhand clear & beat a player from T1) and short-term (basic footwork for backhand clear & 120s plank) timeframe?
    ... asking the coach for extra feedback and hints, for example what exercises you can do at home?

#33 phihag, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    guitar_pic likes this.
  14. Lau314

Lau314 New Member

The head coach is training all the three groups. The other coaches are not even qualified as coaches in my opinion they just let the kids play and thats it.

I know alot of people in T1 because theres like 6 people in T1 that is on the same division level as me. The guy in blue shirt in the video is actually in T1. I don't really think that anyone wanna train with me. I mean like why chose me when you can chose someone better?

My parents aren't really happy if I go to the T1 trainings because its late. My taining starts at 18:00 and ends at 19:30 T1 starts 19:30-21:30
    But sometimes I stay 15 minutes to watch.

15. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Talk to them again. If you really serious about badminton, say it to them.
    Unless your family is in some uncovenient condition, like financial issue, safety issue in the area, unavailability to pick you up (if your area is not safe), there shouldn't be much a problem actually I believe...
    But of course that is after you are allowed to join T1 by the head coach. Approach all of them gently, but convincingly, both your parents and your head coach

Lau314 and guitar_pic like this.
  16. guitar_pic

MIS Sales Consultant
    Totally agree. Again......trying to get this all done will hopefully show everyone how committed and hungry you are.

The 6 people that you know in the T1, are you friendly with them at all? If you are not getting anything out of the T2 class at all, then why not see if any of those T1 people could help you train privately before their training session?

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Totally agree with @stanleyfm

Attitude is very important. If you make excuses not to go T1, you will never get there. So, you have to show your commitment and desire.

Here's few things to add to all the excellent points mentioned before. Pick what works practical for you but try to think like this: if you yourself were the head coach, who would you pick to go into T1 and why?

- Would it be the guy who keeps playing on their smartphone?

- Would it be the guy who speaks to other when the coach speaks?

- Would it be the guy who looks at the coach when being spoken to or the guy who looks away?

- Would it be the guy who listens to coach and tries to change according to the coach's instructions?

- Would it be the guy who asks the coach, "You mean do it like this?"?

Good luck. I seriously think you got the potential. You need to show the desire to improve which means being proactive on and off the court.

Lau314, phihag and guitar_pic like this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Another point. It doesn't happen over one or two sessions. You need to do the above over months and months like half a year or more.

19. Lau314

Lau314 New Member

I can't really stay that long. I take the bus to training and the bus does not come every 10 minutes. I also need to do homework. As much as I want to progress in badminton I also need to study.

He actually said to me if I start to run he'll move me up.

20. Lau314

Lau314 New Member

I know the people but i don't really talk to them that much. I am more the quiet guy.
    The people I know from T1 is "kids" same age as me. They don't really do private training.

Weekend 10 I will have a internship with my head coach (school project) and he said that he is going to make a whole week training scheme.
    Hope he will see the hunger in me.