A tidbit on hybrid stringing...

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Charlie-SWUK, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Like it's fine if you hit the shuttle directly, but I had shots that just slid along the string bed. Very frustrating.

Overall though, the new racket I tried was pretty easy to use.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

You just cut your 98 after what 3 days?!

3. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    If you do experiment with GT-5/ZM62F let us know how it goes.

4. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    7. I'm not at that level yet. Would need my own machine to do that kind of stuff.

Yes it's super slippery below 30. Good that you like the Z Speed.

5. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

hi guys,
    presently I'm using Aerosonic @ 25lbs. now if I want to try out the hybrid combo of BG80/LN#1, what kind of tensions should I string them to?
    thanks.

6. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    To recreate your tension you'd be using 24x26. 24 BG80 and 26 No.1. Best that 80 is a pound lower like that as FME you feel the pounds with 80 and g tone 5 compared to almost any other string out there excluding 110 that I haven't tried.

7. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Yeah 24x26. Could even do 23x25, BG80/No.1 is much harder than AS.

8. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    I have half zymax-62 gen1 left over from my last hybrid. i can try zymax-69 as mains or nbg99 as mains. both strings have minimum coatings and are somewhat rough. Another option to try for mains is vs-890 (victor). Also, i suppose its good to remain in aero-bite guages as some kind of testing yonex, toalson and addidas would have done. Only gripe with these kind of setup is that amount of tension loss is differential for both crosses and mains vs homogenous with normal setup. Control element of hybrid isn't overrated, if you can get something right with trial and error basis like I did with zy62+bg80p, situation adds confidence.
    i am planning to keep my tension around 26lbs. i have bunch of different styled rackets as well.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This is a pretty interesting discussion. I'd always put hybrid stringing in the "why bother" category, but there's some persuasive logic here -- particularly Charlie's point about the mains being dominant for slice / topspin.

I guess it's something for me to try. :)

10. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

Damn, how do I do a topspin in badminton? :-O

Anyway I am going to be brave and test a BG 80/Aerosonic hybrid. Wonder how long it'll take to break.

11. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Cut across the top of the shuttle, useful for drops. You can also play some top spin by angling the racket it upwards slightly but brush downwards when you play a drive.

@Gollum bg80/no.1 go go go

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's quite a "niche" technique -- not like topspin in tennis, which gets used all the time.

Take your basic smash defence, hitting a drive with your backhand. By slightly rotating over the top of the shuttle as you hit through it, you can add a touch of topspin. This causes the shuttle to "dive" and go flatter. With experience, it can be used not just for the improved trajectory, but also to help with your overall shuttle control: a bit of topspin can help you play the shot.

This is very subtle, and it's possible to do it without knowing you're doing it. Trying to put lots of topspin on the shot is generally a bad idea, as it's extremely hard to be consistent. This can be done on the forehand too, but it's nowhere near as natural or practical.

The other main use of topspin is with certain deceptive or trick shots. This can be called a "topspin slice". For example, you can use it to play a lift where your racket is approaching from the "wrong" side of the shuttle. This is a very advanced racket skill. This can be done forehand or backhand, but backhand is probably easier.

You can also use this to play extremely deceptive sliced cross-court forehand net shots. For most of us, that's firmly in the "silly shot" category, but there are players who can do it consistently in high-level competition. It's pretty fun to throw a few of these in when you're feeding someone in coaching/training. ;)

In practice I find this last one doesn't work at all for cross-court backhand net, but something similar can work when played from the middle (e.g. as a low serve return in singles).

#32 Gollum, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  13. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

@Gollum thanks for the explanation. Dont some/many players use topspin on their short serves? mainly in doubles?

14. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I would love to know how something like bg99/62f turns out

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Oh yes, that's a good point. That is another use of topspin, on the backhand low serve. Again, it's very subtle. Probably undercutting is more common though. And of course, using no spin/slice at all is a good option, as it makes your serve consistent.

You have to be pretty careful though, because the racket must be pointing in a downwards direction. I suspect that rule was added to stop players from using backhand drive serves with heavy topspin. I had these played against me by a talented student. Ever seen a drive serve that comes down after passing the net? It was about the height of my shoulder.

16. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I used to be able to do this legally with a forehand serve. Don’t know if I can still do it. People really didn’t like it.

17. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    Just got my delivery of LN1 and BG80 today. Gonna try the hybrid as you've raved about it so much :D
    I usually string 12kg/12.5kg, should I keep to that, or do 12kg/13kg?

18. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    What’s your usual string?

19. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    BG80 normally. I've been playing about with BG66UM and AS recently but kept to the same tensions.

I'll probably try one at +1 and another (same racket) at +2, see which one feels better.

#39 Razor-BladE, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  20. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Well I’ve been doing +2lb, so probably 12/12.7 or so, I’m hesitant to say 13 straight up for your frames sake, but it’s your call.