ALL ENGLAND 2008 Draw

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2008' started by ianmercer89, Feb 14, 2008.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Oh, gosh..

:p..aiyoh, i think i might've misunderstood or over-read what abedeng wrote. I had thought what he meant was which category LCW and TH lacks/needs improvement in? Yes, abedeng's correct, the physical advantage should be with LCW; while the mental advantage should be with Taufik.:cool:
    ..hmm, lots of players have good records against & have troubled certain players. But their possible latest encounter of being a "revenge" match for LD is, IMO, a bit too much. As for going back to LD's lost to PSH in the 1st round of last yr's CO, gosh, i didn't even remember that match??:p..I mean, it's been over 6 months already & many things had happened..Anyway..:p
    If anything, a "revenge" match most of us BCers are anticipating, and to an extent that's still "fresh" in most of the BCers' minds, is between LD vs. LHI.;)

#61 ctjcad, Feb 20, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  2. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Interesting draws. I can't wait...

LD will be tumbled by the Koreans. TH needs to really work hard if he wanna win the title and so does LCW.

3. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I think the only player that everybody likes to avoid is Lin Dan so I really don't see 3 amigos from Korea are going to topple his kingdom! This is a SS AE, if Lin Dan doesn't meet with 3 capable Koreans then will be others dangerous opponents and he will over come this obstacle and march forward and defend his title regardless.
    I really don't see any one can come close to challenge him even our Malaysian ace in this pressure cook tournament. Be objective thinking thru the logic, Lin Dan is an obvious choice, however, MD is totally different story.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Choice yes, but result could turn out differently!:p:p

5. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Agree if you look it that objectively (that if it weren't the Koreans, it would be some others just as capable) BUT we are talking about the Koreans (both) giving him trouble before (and beaten him). If they were to play him one after the other, he might just be overawed by them and their techniques (probably to tire him with long rallies so that the next guy can finish him off).

And as someone said, there is Li Mao, who must have picked up LYB's techniques of haunting the oppposition as coach, to contend with. Even though he is on the sideline, he could still be intimidating if he starts yelling a few words which would unsettle LD.:D All he needs to say is something like this "Finish that Wan Pa Tan" and that would cause LD's blood to rise 20 times.:D

6. indra

indra Regular Member

What does Wan Pa Tan mean?

Wel..well....I would like to see Li Mao vs Li Yong Bo fight against each other before and after the match.....

I am sure the main event of this year AE is the showdown between Li Mao vs Li Yong Bo...Looking at the draw....I am optimistic Li Mao will win....

The pressure is on LD now, as he lost to PSW in their last encounter. Also, LD lost to another Korean player, LHI in his last match. Man...man...Li Mao is a nightmare for LD and LYB.

It seems that LI Mao is holding the turf card of the Chinese players. He knows how to defeat them....

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    A possible LYB/LinDan vs LiMao Clash? 2 Against 1.

8. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Your English is so wonderfully spiced with quick wit and wicked humour, it's a surprise to know you might have a PhD in Mandarin.What's 'wan pa tan'? My Mandarin's only elementary, haven't got there yet;I love Mandarin expressions
    but it doesn't like sound an expression I should ask my teacher tomorrow. So, how about explaining what it means and its origins?

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Actually LD's very vulnerable now for two reasons.
    First, he has been beaten by 5 non-CHN MS now, with another 5 able to upset him.Second, the SS is very hard on him.He may have to play 5 non-CHN MS in a row, sth he's not mentally used to. Before SS, the draw format used to give him non opponents in the first 2 rounds and another bye with a CHN MS in QF or SF. So effectively he used to play some 3 tough matches to win a title.Now it's as tough as 5.That's requiring like 70% more mental energy than what he's conditioned for.
    The point is: LD's not feared like before so he has lost that invisible advantage.Even a MS who would lose to a top 10 player would prefer to meet LD for the experience and challenge with a visibility bonus.Yet it must be noted that LD's standard has gone up and his game is better in some ways. Problem is the other 10 non-CHN MS have also improved a lot more (except BP,where's his INA coach, does anyone know?) so the gap has closed to the extent that an upset is possible by the lower-ranked of the 10.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    XBall's first language is probably Mandarin, perhaps with its roots all the way from Shanghai! ;)

So you should expect more such fiery expressions as "Wan Pa Tan" under his belt. If an expression like this can make LD's blood boil, then you can conjecture what it means, certainly not very savory! :D

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Well we have to be careful with the other Darkhorses. Too much LinDan,LCW,Taufik,Peter Gade etc.. will do no good. The champ might end up someone else that we didnt expect..

12. Winston_T

Winston_T Regular Member

Business Consultant
    nonsense.
    before LD reach #1 position, absolutely he must to play 5-6 matches, as same as the others.

13. Winston_T

Winston_T Regular Member

Business Consultant
    actually, we are the same:).
    it doesn't matter who will win, as long as its MAS players, its ok, right?

14. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I have been learning Mandarin for the last thousand years but manage only to speak the 'rough' stuff - this is why I am confident with that word.:D

Please forgive me if I don't spell out the meaning but if you see another confrontation between Li Mao and LD, you will know those words or its equivalent were used.

15. ants

ants Regular Member

Oh my gosh.. i never knew that you are that OLD! This must be a Guiness World Of Record for Oldest Living Human alive. Its such a priviledge to met and dine with you. Thousand Years Old guy.

Joking aside.. its not easy to learn Mandarin.. for me its mostly trial and error.

Back to topic... the draws are favourable so far for Malaysia and Indonesia.

16. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Believe me if our guys lose in the AE, you could wake up older than me.:D My mandarin is also so-so - love to take it up seriously like PjSwift. I may only be slightly better than him but equal yours (these days I mix cantonese with mandarin, almost sounding like a HongKongnese).

Anyway, although I prefer LCW playing Taufik, it would not have mattered coz LCW is at his best, and he is ready for anyone, LD no exception. If LCW continues to work hard, I can't see how LD can find a lot of joy meeting him.

17. ma-fung

ma-fung Regular Member

are you sure vita/lily have tight match with YW/ZJW???as far as I know they lost easily twice when they met YW/ZJW.If they can beat YW/ZJW they will posibbly meet GL/ZTT not DJ/YY

18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

As I know, Vita/Lilyana almost won in quarterfinal of KOR SS/08 last month when INA pair lost to Wei Yili/Zhang Yawen with 19-21 ; 3rd game.

Last year China Master SS, Vita/Lilyana created huge surprising to defeat 2 CHN WD en route to win title, Du Jing/Yu Yang plus Yang Wei/Zhao Tingting at semifinal and final respectively.

Talking about Vita/Lilyana drawing here, it's pretty tough from first round when they will face Poland pair Augustyn/Kostiuczyk, next TPE Cheng/Chien and then the second seed Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen.

19. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Put it simply, yes Vita/Lilyana do have what it takes to beat the CHN pairs ....

Only difference is, CHN pairs are very good at getting out of trouble in tight situations. That's how Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen won the World Championships and this year's Malaysian Open, both at Putra Stadium.

20. sumbadder

sumbadder Regular Member

have vita/lilyana even won a title since the China Masters last year?