best way to improve your game, not racket, nor your smash.....

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Robbie

Robbie Regular Member

IT
    Footwork and training with Lee Jae Bok

Just come back from an 'intense' training with Lee Jae Bok last weekend. I can only say I fully enjoyed it. We did alot of repetitive footwork ie.preparation for a drop and smashes etc,etc. I have been to a couple coaching sessions before at Milton Keynes many years ago but we were only taught on how to hit a shuttle and is all about having fun. There were not once mentioned on footwork. Mine are all self taught through studying on videos, website etc. I just wish I turned back the clock and attended to LJB's courses, earlier. Even though I am a qualified coach I thought I have my basics correct because that was how I was taught. For instance, I normally play doubles and have a universal grip plus I hold the racquet quite higher up. Lee told me you have to have time to switch to a forehand or backhand. I am still trying to adopt his Pan-handle style forehand grip of hitting which I find beneficial but finding it hard to switch.
    Having said that I normally tell my players it will get worst before it gets better!

Robbie

2. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Don't forget about trying to get to areas around the court as quick and as fast as possible ;)

#62 tinkerbella122, Jun 14, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  3. Landel

Landel New Member

government employee
    Great advice! I'm glad I've come across this site. I have always wanted to buy a good racket never realizing the best and cheapest (it's even free) way to improve my game is just by working on my footwork. It had always been my problem even when I was still playing table tennis. The usual comments I hear regarding my play is that I'm lazy to move in court. I hope you could send me specific tips on footwork exercises.:)

4. Raphael

Raphael Regular Member

Preparation and last foot step just before the striking action (shoulder rotation and arm swing) are still with right foot but soon as striking commences weight is shifting to the left foot positioned in front following the striking action. It's a natural motion that comes with instinct. Thanks for the input.

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That is the so-called "step through" method of hitting overheads; Badminton England advise that this should be taught to beginners, because it is easier to coordinate than more advanced movements.

Once a player is more experienced, they can adopt more effective movements that allow them to cope with more demanding situations. For the most effective recovery, all forehand overheads should be taken with both feet off the ground. The left (non-racket) foot moves backwards as the right foot comes forward; the player then lands on the left foot, closely followed by the right foot. This establishes a wide base, with the left foot behind the body and the right foot in front; the player can move forwards quickly and on balance.

As a coach, I don't agree that the step-through movement is instinctive. These movements need to be taught, because they are not everyday movements and in my experience players do not usually acquire them without instruction. Some players find badminton movements and techniques more natural than others, but all require instruction and/or experimentation to perform well.

#65 Gollum, Jun 18, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  6. Raphael

Raphael Regular Member

Now we are getting in business. Should be more of this stuff. The real 'how to' and anatomical dissection of footwork. I will try the leg switch and will take delivery of some training DVDs soon so hopefully I can improve my games. Please post more info on footwork of other shots (on top of the right foot in front). Thanks Gollum.

7. KoiCal

KoiCal Regular Member

Getting rid of bad habit

As a beginner, I kind of learned the basic footwork, but never took the time to practice. However, I also do believe that footwork helps you to get to where you want to move and prepare for the shot.

I have one "major" problem though. Until recently, I never learned that my right foot is supposed to be in front (except receiving the serve) for the ready position since I'm a right-hander. Well, all along, I had my left foot in the front and it's very hard to for me to change. Any advice?

8. Daylightkiller

Daylightkiller Regular Member

Student
    yep, i totally agree that footwork is important, because i myself am a player who can't run very long or extremely fast compared to others, so i use my work on footwork and get faster and and combined with hand skills i can get some wins. So i agree that usually it should be around 70% footwork and 30% hand skills

9. melgyver

melgyver New Member

quality assurance inspector
    The strenght of a good footwork

Amen to footwork friends! I used to play the game mostly relying on my right (since I'm a right hander) upper body to gather strength for a good smash but at the end I find myself so tired and exhausted plus shoulder pains i got from over used muscles.Until one day by watching tournament events on tv, I carefully observe how yhey execute smashes, drops and drives with ease as if not exerting so much effort at all. That's the time I reallized how footwork work so well on every strokes they make. It's actually a game of who has the best lower body because that's where the power of smash and the grace of drops come from. That was the time I decided to learn doing drills and leg workouts. Definitely, it improved my game. From level D where I started, I am not at level B and going stronger!

10. nunanha

nunanha Regular Member

:)

Thanks for many suggestions ka....:) i have just played badminton almost 1 years ka...someone in my court tought me how to footwork, it made me very tired and i was quite a lazy and dump student, so didn't think it is very important....um...until i read this thread, many good suggestions, and i must practice more footwork later. Now, i always run in the courts, my friends said "u r like Mario".....um...next time, i will be a SuperMario ka...lol....

Thanks so muchhhhhhhhh.....:D

11. oseph

oseph Regular Member

Just wondering, is it true that in order for you to execute a good footwork you need to keep your racket head up? otherwise, there will be a split second delay in executing a good shot?

12. tinkerbella122

Student
    As far as I know ( and honestly, I don't know much :rolleyes: ) , keeping your racket up doesn't affect your footwork. However , it does help you with hitting the shuttle sooner as your racket is already up and is prepared for the shot.

13. terror

terror Regular Member

haha. if u are caught sleeping and someone gives u a drive towards the baseline at waist level or lower then u would want to get to the bird quickly but u wouldnt want your racquet flailing in the air wouldnt u?

pros around please correct me if im wrong:)

14. monkeymagic

monkeymagic Regular Member

Man, that's amazing..... I just read Kwun's first article on footwork and I couldn't agree more.

I was playing with a 1st team member the other week and I asked him was there anything wrong with my game..... as you do when you feel you are not playing good..... and to my surprise he said "no, nothing really... just your footwork". Then it hit me.... it wasn't the fancy racket I just bought off my brother that wasn't doing well, it wasn't my powerful smashes that weren't going in or my strokes.

...It was my 2 left feet !!! I have been playing like a baboon !!! and no one bothered to tell me ! or coach me !!!:crying: :crying: my brother just showed me the correct positioning footwork (friday) for playing backhand defense and clear !! > something so simple you don't even think about it ! yet so effective !!

I now look at myself compared to my friends and the reason I outplay them and beat them.... is because of my superior footwork, there I was thinking it was my stamina.... boy, are they going to be shocked when I tell them they move like a monkey's backside :eek: :D

Footwork it is ! and a new pair of badminton trainers....lol.....:D

Thanks for that guys.... you don't realize it til it hits you in the face !

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Actually proper extension of your non-racquet arm is more important for counterbalance as it would make your footwork alot more easier... not to mention your lower back;).

Ready racquet up is one facet of the total package. It is a neccessity in rallies not just because it protects you, it also reduce preparation time needed to reply a stroke return.

#75 cappy75, Sep 18, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  16. Michael-Lam

Michael-Lam Regular Member

Student / Badminton Coach
    i would play 2v1 singles no smashes

17. Slammer

Slammer Regular Member

i have a question, just to make sure:

is it essential to have proper badminton shoes to maximize your footwork?

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, shoes >> racket

19. Froca

Froca Regular Member

student( must keep a high avg to play badminton an
    What are the proper footworks?

20. tinkerbella122

Student