best way to improve your game, not racket, nor your smash.....

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Jun 23, 2003.

1. yanski

yanski Regular Member

HELP!

does anyone here knows any information from the web or video on the proper footwork training?

2. owen27

owen27 Regular Member

Product manager
    Got to definitely agree that footwork is definitely the most important BASIC you should know.
    My dad used to coach me when I was wee high but I definitely did not like it as it was boring and tiring.
    But of late I have realised how important footwork is. This is cause with good footwork you feel less tired and you get to the birdie fast enough to comtemplate playing what shots and you get to execute those shots with accuracy.
    Watch players like Taufik Hidayat. He steps very little but gets to the birdie fast enough to play the shots well. Or better still, if you can get old videos of players like Zhao Jinhuo. All these players normally commented on their deceptive shots and creative play. But they are fundamentally strong cause of their BASIC footwork!

Just me 2 cents

3. jet28

jet28 Regular Member

i"ve been training with a coach 2x a week for a year now. i started from scratch and before that i did not have any sport so you see it was quite hard for me to learn the footworks. when i do the footdrills during training i could do theme with ease but during a game i cannot seem to make bigger steps to go where i'm suppose to go. will it just be constant footworks practice or are there footdrills that you can suggest to make my improvement faster. i want to be able to be able to move lightly n swiftly inside the court.

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    It's easier in drills because you're in a controlled environment where the feeding shots are meant for you to retrieve at a consistent pace. Game condition is much more harder because the other side is hitting to force you to error.

5. jet28

jet28 Regular Member

best footworks

for a year and a half i've trained with a coach who is a varsity player from a university and who trained with indonesian coaches. according to him when hitting a ball one should move his right foot backwards then hit while simultaneously moving that right foot forward. but we heard of this coach whom we saw trained really good players. when i went to him, he taught me a completely different footwork. he said move your right foot backwards then hit while simultaneously moving your left foot backwards to gain stability n at the same time you'd be able tohit the ballin front of you.it was an odd movement for me bec of what i've been used to doing already but i feel that my shots were better on the 2nd coach bec they did not require so much effort n its true that i waskindamore balanced. difference#2, coach A said one must make bigger steps when moving 2 be able to go all the way to the back but coach B said i should not take very big steps bec then i'd be loosing my balance.he said if i need 2 go farther back i just need to hop/skip twice then hit instead of trying to make two big steps then hit. now i'm so confused. any help anyone! pleasssse...

6. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

well there is no absolute correct techique out there or else all the pros will be basicly playing all the same way, the tiny fast steps work for me better coz im small and light, but i think for a larger person, a big step backwards will be better, it all depends on how you play, everyone has their own style to achieving the proper footwork for them.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    In China the official training routine for beginners is that they don't get to play the game until they are taught, drilled, and are able to pass the correct use of the different grips and the fundamentals of footwork.
    There is a new "Learn to play badminton" VCDs (15 pcs) produced by CCTV China, and the first two fundamentals they must learn before they go any further are the use of the proper use of the many different grips and footwork. I have a friend who used to be in the Fujian team, and he too confirmed this. Re grip, you must be able to twirl the racquet with ease in your hand.

8. joe young

joe young New Member

best way to improve your game?

yes footwork is the key! get a video of Susi Susanti and do it the way she does it and you'll be great!

9. will12

will12 Regular Member

my view to improve your game... you need to play people that are a lot higher level than you... since playing Sussex players my game has improved greatly.

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    That would be ideal. Whether newbies get to play with groups better than them is another different matter;).

11. midknightblue

midknightblue Regular Member

High School Student
    i agree.. I played against my coach and he totally killed me cause he kept clearing to my backhand. which i totally suck at. Playing against higher levels is good for finding what your weaknesses are.. i guess lol

12. wdztxr

wdztxr New Member

good

i am agree, and now i start to find a coach to improve my skill

13. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

When practising footwork drills in isolation (without a shuttle) it will help to make the drill as game like as possible. Sometimes this is difficult to focus on. In the game you don't want to get caught standing still waiting for your opponents reply. As a rule you need to focus your mind on getting to the contact area quickly and drift more slowly back to a base position to cover your opponents reply. As you drift back you are watching for any clue about where to go next, focus on their contact, perform a braking step/ split step, to explode with power and speed to your next contact area. Obviously there will be times during a rally when you are really out of position and need to get from a A to C without pausing at B. The freight train stops nowhere!! Time to hang the racquet up and retire!! lol.

Your opponent will be trying to get you to run the full diagonal to exploit any weakness in your footwork and fitness. Place yourself to cover the straight attack, keep your brain aware of the cross court trap.

STRAIGHT ATTACK - AWARE OF CROSS TRAP

14. jun_adrian

jun_adrian New Member

Sorry for the Interruption

Good morning guys from here... sorry to interrupt but i need your help.

Can you help me to find any badminton organization here in Abu Dhabi coz i like to be part of thegroup. I am leaving for four years now and just have an interest of participating in the org... waiting for your reply.. Thanks...

(= ian =)

15. jet28

jet28 Regular Member

hongkie too

There is a new "Learn to play badminton" VCDs (15 pcs) produced by CCTV China, and the first two fundamentals they must learn before they go any further are the use of the proper use of the many different grips and footwork. i live in hong kong too , where can i get these vcd's?

16. adamp1

adamp1 Regular Member

school?
    i havent read all the posts but i know a main thing of improving a game will be your endurance, lets face it if your unfit then you dont have much chance to practice... id say go on a lot of runs but build it up steadily until you can jog for atleast a mile with out stopping.

and footwork... when you go to a badminton lesson dont get dis encouraged if you dont hit shuttles at first... most coaches will teach you the movement before the shot for example hartounoes (cant spell lol) the movement is more important that the shot to me.

17. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Without good footwork=you can't move you can't play* well not as well*

18. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    I would have to argee working on your stamina. It really helps you move around without being so tired. So you won't be worned out so fast.

19. SeasonW

SeasonW Regular Member

student
    No footwork=no Spee.Without the speed you will loose alot of stamina when opponents does a net drop and clear.also puts you under alot 0f pressure doing a bad return to your opponents

20. cgwee

cgwee New Member

sales
    as long as you got a very strong leg, the stamina will come automatically. Since i have been a coach from my younger days, i have been emphasising on foot work and leg strength. 1 hour physical and 1 hour stroke play.