Doubles Tournament in Montreal

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Jinryu, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Devilicious

Devilicious Regular Member

student
    Just to add another point. Buffets usually don't taste very good near closing time... :p

Yes! You would perhaps want to make up for your weekly 8-hours-Sat-badminton-sessions... um... at least as much as possible of what's left of it. :) I want to play with you pros!!! I won't let any opportunity of this kind slip away so easily!!! :D

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Great idea!!! Wait, can't we get up on time? :D

3. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Lol... good point about buffets. Personally, I hate them, I just suggested them because lasalle is so skimpy on affordable restaurants...

But friendlies' idea sounds pretty good...!

Tough choice, unless someone knows maybe someplace that has good takeout food that can be sent to the gym so that we can just continue playing even after the tournament. Personally, I'd like to play a few rounds myself since I'll have spent my whole afternoon just WATCHING people play, since as organizer I don't have time to play myself.:(

On that note, when the gym is "free", anyone can play, but you gotta be properly dressed. I'm not gonna allow former spectators to play of they're wearing dress shoes or something, it is still a respectable badminton club after all.

Maybe I'll charge a small fee for non-tournament players to use free time, because it'd mostly be for the tournament players to get to knoweachother better (that'd be a bonus for signing up).

4. Devilicious

student
    What other restaurants are near AL? Maybe we can get some "buns" from Chinatown (maybe even discount if we buy in big quantity)?

Yup! Actually... I have a tempting suggestion for the activities on the tournament's weekend... Dunno if it sounds good to you, but here it goes:

Sat: tournament, obviously; dinner somewhere after?
    Sun: Montreal BFers gathering at the Olympic Stadium for more badminton :D starting 9:00am. (we can't have too much badminton right?) For the eating, we can either buy lots of dim sum from Chinatown (as suggested by Friendlies) or we can get Timbits!! Lazy, it'd be more than great if you could join us!

#44 Devilicious, Jul 14, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Food and badminton combo? How could I ever say no? ;)

6. outlah

outlah Regular Member

government hand-out
    another out of towner

Having never been to Montreal, maybe this would be a good time for a visit. I am thinking of driving in Saturday morning, stay one night, play more badminton on Sunday morning, then drive back around 3-4pm. But first would like to find a place to stay. Are there any good place to stay for budget constrained individuals? If you know a place let me know. Thanks

7. Devilicious

student
    Cool!! Welcome! Where are you from?

Well, I'd say Mtl has lots of pretty high class hotels -which I guess, doesn't apply to your budget- but if you are willing to go a little more to the suburbs, you can find many motels and inns (Days Inn, for example). Plus, unlike in Mtl, the suburb area offer parking spaces, and access to the island isn't too difficult -well, at least from where I live (suburbs, lol). :) Even though you're from elsewhere, I'd still recommend you to use public transportation whenever you want to go to Mtl island though, due to parking problem again.

And, will you be joining the RsM tournament? And does the Sunday plan sound good to you (nothing is confirmed for Sun, it's just a suggestion for now)?

#47 Devilicious, Jul 15, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  8. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    Hey, I like this idea very much as I won't be participating in the tournament on Saturday either and I don't think I can live without badminton for a week. Although, I probably can't be there at 9am, not really a morning person :D.

9. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Looks like LB was right... I more than a bit worried a few days ago because I only had one paid registration so far, but things seem to be picking up and registrations are going up pretty fast. It seems that LB is not going to be the only out of towner coming in for the tournament... Outlah has just signed up, as well as anoter BCer from Ottawa!:)

Word gets around. Despite the relative lack of popularity in canada, I'm glad to see that BC brings together a good number of serious canadians (and of course our friends in the US) together through the game.

Huh, i actually forgot-- i guess it doesn't count, since he moved to montreal recently, but we have one BCer who originates from the UK as well!:eek:

10. Devilicious

student
    Great!

That's indeed excellent news!! The more, the better! :)

Jinryu, can you please tell us so far, how are registrations going? I mean, until now, no event is likely going to be cancelled due to lack of players right?

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    See, I am not the only crazy one. Looking forward for all the ppl to go to kick my butt around. :D

12. frendies

frendies Regular Member

medical
    Do you mean the courts by the swimming pool??
    9am... you are quite an early riser..

13. frendies

frendies Regular Member

medical
    Some restaurants in Chinatown are open till 3 am, no?
    Could always order take out such as pizza, chicken, Scores, Subway, etc.
    Or we eat what is left of your food stand! =P

14. Devilicious

student
    Hmmm... I suppose they are. Never been there. Well 9am can be early for some and not for others, I guess we can just go whenever we get up, lol. So are people in for this?

And hey, I've only started to be an early riser this year. :rolleyes: But has ALWAYS been ready to get up early (even at 5:30 am!!) whenever it concerns badminton. :D I know, I'm sick. You don't have to tell me that, many have done so already. -____________-"

#54 Devilicious, Jul 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
  15. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    5:30 :eek:, and I thought 7:30 was early, somebody's crazier than Jinryu.

16. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]The official birds of this tournament will be Mavis 300 Yellow or Mavis 350 Yellow, at our discretion. (You do not get to choose.) If you wish to bring your own birds, you may use them for your match, provided that your opponent agrees to using them over the provided bird.

[/font]
    [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]The official shuttle will be plastic instead of feathers?
    [/font]

17. frendies

frendies Regular Member

medical

18. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

So far, mens doubles is the most popular category, and I've got at least 8 players (4 teams worth) of players confirmed. There's a lot of ambiguous people too who have expressed interest but not commited yet.

Mixed, we have at least 3 teams. Womens' doubles, we have 3 confirmed teams.

So... my basic cutoff is that we need at least 4 teams in each category, otherwise the matches with the same people will just get a tad boring... really, we need your help to get more women to join especially!

(These are the CONFIRMED teams, there are others who expressed interest, but who have not registered.)

19. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

As to renting out gyms at Andre Laurendeau, YES, i can do this... however, you guys would really have to split the costs with me. a regular day at RsM is 25 people with 4 hours of play time. If it's less than 25 people, it would have to be proportionally more expensive... so it might not be a great idea unless we really band together a LOT of people. I'm thinking it'll probably be too much work to organize-- imean, if i can get 25 people, why not get 25 people IN THE TOURNAMENT instead of the day after/before? lol.

20. Devilicious

student
    *raises eyebrow* what? You have anything against crazy people? =P
    Plus, to make me look less weird, I've only done that once for a tournament.