Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

Focus on landing at the same time, so that it isn't a chassé but a split step.

Wait with doing backhand defense with your left foot as fallout foot instead master doing right foot as it gives more reach and opens up more space for you to move your racket. When this is mastered, you can look at using the left foot for faster footwork. Don't use PG's front hand defense, do a chassé into lunge instead and master that.
    TLDR: Both feet when doing split step and do right foot mid-court defense leading with racket before body :)

Mason likes this.
  2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok Great thanks

3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I had a horrible night. I sliced or miss hit almost every shot until the last couple of games.
    I saw a little bit a progress on my split step, not rushing it and waiting until after my opponents shots to move

4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I did some actual training yesterday morning for an hour. Half of it was spent doing doubles defense and the other half was footwork and shuttles drills and as you can see the footwork drills really exposed how bad my footwork is. My smash defense is too slow and my timing is off , I made gradual improvements on my defense as the training went on.
    Next time he said he’s going to slow down some of the footwork drills so that I can do the proper footwork. On some of the rounds I was so slow and tired that I ended up running around With poor form just to get to the shuttle.

5. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

Only watched about 2 minutes of the first video. I get that drills seem like a great idea, however you really need to focus on your footwork and slow down a lot. Not only because you're doing to much, but especially because you're putting yourself at risk. At 0:43 you lunge with your foot in the wrong direction, which could've caused injury. Slow down with these fast drills and get it right instead.
    Small example is 1:30, where you lunge 'incorrectly' making you prone to injury then proceed to sprint back instead of doing the footwork you showed at home.

Cheung likes this.
  6. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yep I agree

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    @Mason

You are at significant risk of having a very bad ankle fracture.

Four corners is too tough for you as you haven't ingrained the footwork patterns properly. Quite a common and natural thing to happen because of playing mostly doubles.

Go back to two corner exercises:

Two front corners - watch that right foot placement because it needs to turn slightly outwards when you land. Also, when you land your right foot, time it to simultaneously striking the shuttle. This should help quite a lot, especially in the forehand corner.

Two back corners - haven't seen you do this

Front to back straight movement - after an overhead drop and trying to go to the net routine, you do not have a skip after hitting= the shuttle. On the lunge at the net, you do not land the front foot and strike the shuttle simultaneously. So, the result is no rhythm and feeling awkward with balance.

If you really want to continue doing the four corner exercise with the same speed at this point in time, I suggest the feeder giving shuttles that do not push you so far into the corners. I.e. reduce the court space.

You may want to consider going back to the online coach for feedback.

darrengsaw likes this.
  8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you , what do you mean by online coach ?

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You mentioned in a video you follow Swift for online coaching.

10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yeah the speed was too much for me. It needs to be slowed down

11. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yeah but it’s just a purchased program that I can do on my own. The coaching isn’t live.
    I still follow the program each week

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Ahhh, so no feedback on your progress.

13. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Well I can send them an email and get feedback which they do provide. It’s just not in real time by any means.

For sure any more drills with shuttles will have to be slowed down.

14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

The defense training I did really payed off during the games. I was able to return many more smashes into the rear and counter attack on more of them. My footwork was also a little bit faster returning drops and also getting to the back and behind the shuttle. It’s nice to see the carry over from just one training session. I felt more relaxed as well
    Although my lunge is still not 100% correct, I am more often now lunging better with my foot pointed more forward.

15. Mason

Mason Regular Member

My shots from last night
    Although I felt like I sliced many of my smashes I was moving around the court must smoother and faster.
    To me it clearly noticed In The video ☺️

16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

My last game of the night I played a singles game against a much better player

Although I got destroyed(21-9) On thr positive side I noticed my footwork is smoother and much faster so I’m happy to see that.
    In the negative, many of my shots were out to the side... I clearly need more practice with my strokes to be more consistent.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

What I see is your overhead action is getting some of that hip movement in with the scissor kick. That’s good.

You mentioned the split step previously. After you play a high clear, you should move back towards the centre and split step just about the same time as the opponent hits the shuttle. Unfortunately, you don’t do this and the longer a rally goes, the harder it gets for you.

suggest a training routine where you and the training partner only hit high clears , you walk back to the middle, split step as the partner hits the shuttle, you move to the shuttle, hit the clear again and keep going. Really concentrate on the split step timing, making sure you are face on to the net when you get to the middle of the court.

Mason likes this.
  18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Good suggestion!

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think this is a good video to analyse your rear court overhead action and specifically, the lower body. There are a few nice notes in the Instagram post below. You can check your video and see how many overhead shots would tick the points explained by Thomas. You will probably see that for many of your shots, the left leg doesn't go back far enough and the left foot, as it lands , is not pointing in an optimal direction. Also, a few occasions , both your feet land at the same time instead of left first, then right.

Mason likes this.
  20. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I suggest you practise getting the shuttle fed high to you and hitting it cleanly. Within the first minute there are loads of mishits, you hear they are mishits.. listen for when the sound is right when you hit the shuttle in the correct place on the racket. And def not the frame!

Getting a good contact on the shuttle is very important. It is a very fundamental skill.