HSBC BWF WORLD Tour Finals 2022 : Group Stage & Knockout Phase (7-11 December)

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    H2H is a weird game all together

Watching Today's game I can say that Ratchanok truly struggles against HBJ also about HBJ is that this girl has improved soo very much since Tokyo 2020.

Its like she is determined to stand at the podium in paris and she looks more slender and better on foot,her agility has improved and somehow she is doing exactly what I always wanted her to do.

Ratchanok does struggle against the Chinese its like she has some jinx against the dragon queens her H2H as follows -:

HBJ is 1-6
    CYF is 3 -16
    Legend Wang Yihan 1-12
    Legend Li Xuerui 4-7
    Great Wang Shixian 4-7

even against Nozomi 5-10 and 2 times World Champ Yamaguchi 10-13 she has poor record.

apart from Wang ZY she has poor H2H against all the Chinese Legends and Legends to be...even against Saina Nehal she has poor record 7-12 but surprisingly she has better H2H against PV and Carol,9-4 and 7-4 respectively.

Now against Nozomi and Guchi and Tai its not too bad but she truly struggles against HBJ,CYF and Legend Wang Yihan.

Woesi and Cheung like this.
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Intanon was playing very well today, attacking better than He Bingjiao; unfortunately,a bit more error-prone though significantly less than usual, still the couple points difference mattered.

OTOH, HBJ's shot selection and instinctive reaction at crucial moments are quite good, reflective of her natural talent. Somehow, I feel that her overall fitness here so far in the first two matches are not as good as it was in the two previous tourneys she won the other month.

3. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

you mean Yamaguchi was wrong ?

commentators were wrong ?

Fortunately for Yamaguchi, this match did not affect too much.

I hope karma will come to the Chinese team in an important match and wait for a response from a few hundred million Chinese badminton fans.

4. terrynguyen121988

They judge a particular situation in a match that they don't even know the names of the two teams.

Wow, people today! Wonderful!

So Hollywood!

#44 terrynguyen121988, Dec 8, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

So, who says we cannot express our opinions based on our understanding and interpretation? Thanks to samkool for posting the relevant BWF rule and his view which I agree with.

The rule is there, the incident happened right before the umpire's eyes and he made the decision, no overrule. Even watching the video clip posted by Michael, CYF did not hit the shuttle twice by tapping her racquet two times (the second time by retracting her racquet and hitting the shuttle again, no) but in one continuous motion by following the racquet through when the shuttle first touched the racquet head then followed by the racquet strings. That's that. What's the big deal? Chill.

It's not even the final decisive point, and CYF was already one game to the good. There's no need to overreact, be overly emotional and bring in karma (what has it got to do with it?), the umpire is there to judge the match and make calls according to the BWF laws , rules and regulations, not to mention the tournament referee.

Unless and until we have the technology to solve this kind of problem that everybody agrees to abide by, such as IRS Hawk-Eye for linecalls, we can only make do with the umpire calling the shots to the best of his ability and trust his professionalism.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

WS-Group A is an open field now, all four contestants have a chance to progress to the quarterfinals, each has one win and one loss at the moment.

7. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

My apologies.....it's Japan vs espana.....forgot my meds.

kurako likes this.
  8. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

My apologies.... it's vs espana....

9. kingsooji

kingsooji Regular Member

Started watching BWF TV recently.
    What is this format ? Criteria to get into this tournament?.
    Why were the players divided into 2 groups ?.
    Why are Reddy/Shetty , Kevin/Gideon pair not in it ?.

10. terrynguyen121988

The match is over, debate will lead us to nowhere.

But I will remember this situation. If I was lucky to see this situation hit back to China team, I would be laugh so loud.

11. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    there is no debate. yes, cyf made contact with the shuttle twice, literally. however, it is not a fault according to the laws of badminton... and that's all that matters for scoring purposes.

it doesn't surprise me players, commentators and fans are unaware of rule 13.3.7.

12. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

just for me it seems to be double motion, she hits with the frame while trying to do block, stops a bit and then racket goes forward - she does simple push, but it is very close one...

13. smikey

smikey Regular Member

But I thought she was carrying the shuttle.

14. sunshinepower01

sunshinepower01 New Member

I actually have no idea about this rule, thanks for this. A little out of topic, would you (or anyone else that is willing to share their opinions) consider the Anders Antonsen double-hit in Thomas Cup an incorrect call (refers to the 14-12 in the first game, link here)? It's practically a single stroke (imho), but Morten Frost said that it's a clear double-hit.

Simeon likes this.
  15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Format : round-robin tournament
    Criteria : Only top-8 players/pairs based on BWF World Tour Ranking instead of BWF WORLD Ranking with quota two players/pairs per badminton association. World Champion has automatic ticket into the Finals.

kingsooji likes this.
  16. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

MS Group A, as much easily predicted Axelsen leads group A to outclass his opponent including JPN rising star who delivered something interesting atmosphere in late part of second game to save five match points against the powerful Dane. A very motivated Olympic and World Champion who seemingly far from complacency amid his outstanding achievement. Runner-up race will pit Naraoka and Lu GZ who spent 84 mins to overcome Prannoy in thrilling and balanced game.

WS Group B, the assertive He BJ continues convincing run to beat home favorite, the Chinese lefthander reformation underscores steel determination, patience and persistence that suffered deficiency in her previous version, chance still alive for Intanon to seal last four spot to eliminate the sluggish Tai TY who's out of context in two group matches here including how she struggled to subdue Ongbamrungphan.

17. felipe

felipe Regular Member

finance
    no body can be a top player in a short period of time
    I guess amateur does not know the correct rule and acting they are better than the umpire LOL
    Read below as posted before:
    13. FAULTS
    13.3. if in play, the shuttle:
    13.3.7. is hit twice in succession by the same player. However, a shuttle hitting the head and the stringed area of the racket in one stroke shall not be a ‘fault’

skhai91 and qiang like this.
  18. felipe

felipe Regular Member

finance
    it has nothing to do with karma and no need for you to curse the whole China team just because of this incident that happened to Chen Yufei.
    Why are you cursing the whole China team?
    You have personal grudge against them?
    If I see your name, you are Vietnamese? I know many Vietnamese hate China but this incident has nothing to do with the whole China team, please dont be bias.
    You said the match is over and no need to debate, and only you can make a comment cursing the whole China team? This is a very silly comment.

Justin L, justiceforlcy and qiang like this.
  19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    it looks like a single stroke upwards, however, in the slow motion replay you can see how the shuttle reacts to the initial contact which would be that of a lateral stroke as in trying to spin or drop the shuttle, then the racket moves up to hit the bird over the net. if the initial stroke was upward the nose of the shuttle would immediately change direction 180° and head back over the net. instead you see the nose of the shuttle come to about 90° meaning the stroke that made contact with the bird was not heading upward. this is a double hit and a fault.

felipe, skhai91 and decrepit like this.
  20. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

From the slow motion replay, it's fairly clear that this was a fault and double hit from Yufei. However, both players were moving very fast and the stroke was executed in a fraction of time, the umpire had to make a prompt decision, so I don't surprise if he considered it as a double hit from a continuous action. Now it's time for BWF (again!) to look into this problem and find preventive actions.

Woesi likes this.