Is it useful or appropriate to use ankle weights?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bad-min-ton, Oct 13, 2004.

1. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    i wear ankle weights off the courts and i think its safer this way, i just wear them all day and take them off only when i play tennis and sleep, i jog,walk, eat watch tv, etc with them on hopefully when my baddy season starts i will see a improvement, but i have also been doing lunges and squats soo i can't isolate and say that for sure ankle weights are super. good luck

2. Wonger8

Wonger8 Regular Member

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE ONE CAN PURCHASE WEIGHTED VESTS IN HONG KONG? i heard ankle weights were bad so i wanna get the weighted vests

3. williamboo

williamboo Regular Member

i tried ankle weight before when i was still training, i wear it all day like martin..i take it off when i m at home, i think my ankle weight was around 1kg i think. It's not a good idea to use it on badminton but still depends how heavy the ankle weight is.

4. ae86trueno

ae86trueno Regular Member

i heard ankleweight is bad for the joint since it sitting on top of the ankle joint, something like belt is better.

5. FlashGordy

FlashGordy Regular Member

Student
  6. zehow

zehow Regular Member

I trained at Bintang Badminton Academy in Sunnyvale, California for a while and the coach made some of the better kids wear ankle weights as well as weighted vests while doing drills and conditioning. Some even wore the ankle weights all the time, at home, at school, walking anywhere, etc. They're still playing and haven't suffered any injuries... but I wonder if the extra stress might be detrimental to your joints and whatnot. The coach there started out with 2 lb. weights and slowly increased it so maybe that's the way to avoid injury.

7. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    One major advantage that Bintang has is its very flexible (bouncy) floors. I would not recommend using ankle weights on most surfaces. Even weighted vests might be questionable with most floors. Try a search on ankle weights in this forum to see what the general consensus is.

8. Bertje

Bertje Regular Member

Student
    I've head a lot of problems with my knees (something they call "desease of osgood-slater") and I've been seeing a kinesist for quite some time.

During these sessions he made me train with various ankle weights, but only excersises on lifting, stretching and bending.
    When I asked him if it would do me good to wear them a couple houres a day, as I thought it would strengthen my leg, he said it is not recommended to do so. According to him, you'd put to much strain on your joints (in my case espessially my knee) and it could lead to injuries.

I'm not saying that in a controlled environment you can't use them, but if I was you I'd think twice before wearing them during a normal training, especially if you have had troubles with your ankles/knees in the past.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Wise words.

Badminton players get more than enough knee/ankle impact without adding weights. As well as increasing impact force, adding weights can reduce your stability, so you may be at increased risk of (say) an ankle sprain. There are much safer ways to improve your speed than this.

10. dosun88

dosun88 New Member

I've played with ankle weights and a weight vest (on different occasions) and my comment is that if you are going to try it, make sure that the weights are secure and distributed evenly (sometimes you can get weights bunched up depending on the apparatus you use). If not, some of the forceful motions you use can cause injuries.
    However, I do believe there is good benefit to it, so if you do go down that route, here are some tips..
    - Work your way progressively up in weights. Even if the weight might seem negligible, it doesn't have as natural of feeling as weight you gained yourself. So overcome your pride and start with low weights and move up when you have adjusted.
    - Don't expect to play as hard as if you didn't have the weight on. If you put on some heavy weights and you go off lunging deep for the shuttle, you may find yourself on the ground right away. Again, this kind of works with the notion of adapting to the weight.
    - I stick with using weights mostly for footwork related drills. You can simulate most situations in a game without actually playing one. This may allow you to be a little more conscious about the weights and give yourself less risk of injury.

Anyways, those are my thoughts/suggestions...

11. veasana

veasana Regular Member

student
    Putting weight on ankle for training

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if putting weight on my ankle will help me to move faster on the court. I'm an average player, with a lot of stamina, good smashes and drop shot but my footwork is'nt great. Right now, I'm trying to correct my footwork with the good pattern to move on the court. Will putting weight on my ankle help me to move faster?

12. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    It won't. It might cause some damage long term though. Not sure if you'd want that.

13. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    no, i doubt it. the most important parts of footwork is the start and the stop. work on that area first

14. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

putting weights only helps you increase power or strength.. you dont really want to be stepping harder, do you? it would raise the possibility of an injury to happen, and your shoes/insoles are going to get wasted faster..

15. veasana

veasana Regular Member

student
    Ok I see. so the only way to move faster on the court is to learn the correct footwork. Thank you for your reply.

16. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I think you can use weights on your arm for practising wristy shots like half-smashes though..

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I've tried it. Yes, it definitely helps. its also good to make your movement smoother by doing lots of shadow run. Any shot is definitely NOT impossible to retrieve. All you need is to be a cool cucumber and return to the base. Hope this helps.

18. veasana

veasana Regular Member

student
    A lot of people said that it would hurt me if I'm putting weight on my ankle. But if I just use it when I'm praticing my step, would it help me?

19. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

no, it changes your technique when you have them on. also, it is poor for gaining strength.

20. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I dont recomend it. You may do more harm than good. I would suggest a weight vest instead.