Launcher Shuttlecock - Baddy - Cheap - Open Source

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by satel, Jul 23, 2017.

1. hurricane478

hurricane478 New Member

Hello all, I know this project has been abandoned unfortunately, but I am looking to build my own feeder. Does anyone know the following information?
    • Max shuttle speed
    • Brushless motor specifications
    • The diameter of the wheels that launch the shuttle
    Thanks!

2. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I don't know and don't have one but there is a discord group for it so you could ask there.

hurricane478 likes this.
  3. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I've also been building my own and all I can say is good luck going down this hole!

Brushless motors on the Baddy were around 730-850kv depending on which iteration

I've tested different wheels from 80mm to 120mm and settled on 95mm but that's for my own personal requirements. The main problem with wheels is the damn vibration and noise they create. If you find a way around that do let me know!

How are you intending to go about building it? I'm wondering whether I should put my own feeder out there when it's fully working given the amount of time I've put into it so far but I'm not sure I can be bothered with the hassle.

#63 UkPlayer, Aug 19, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
    hurricane478 likes this.
  4. hurricane478

hurricane478 New Member

https://github.com/xeonqq/SpeedyBirdie
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5827863

I have since found this build and this looks quite promising. I am looking to add some of my own flair to it, I was going to add motors that can change the up/down and left/right angle of the shots and a 5 tube shuttle reloader that can store about 100 shuttles. Since some of the 3D parts, instructions and code are not put up for free I do not feel fully at liberty to put up my modifications as they would make public much of his paid content, but I will check with the creator of this build. I also planned to write my own code but this was mainly because I feel I should learn Arduino rather than because his code is not good.

Regarding motors, I was actually looking at 1800kv motors at 100mm diameter, so quite fast. I thought smash defence training may be doable on it with that speed, but don't know if continuously adding to the motor RPM will actually increase shuttle speed.

What I am doing at the moment is putting together a parts list, but I'm starting with building his design. Then after building the launcher mechanism, I will add the shuttle reloader which will be a semi-circle with 5 tubes of shuttles on its outer edge rotated by a servo motor. Then I will add the vertical and horizontal angle change mechanisms. These will be done with stepper motors that have reduction gearboxes/pulleys (as many steppers would struggle to move and hold the roughly 2-3kg weight of it, they need more torque), I found that a gear reduction of 1:10 to 1:15 works well with common motors like the 17HS4401.

UkPlayer likes this.
  5. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    The Arduino code is the easy bit though with that many motors you'll need to check you have enough ports

Increasing speed doesn't increase shuttle speed much past a point, I've tested that out. Plus the wheels have to get up to speed in 2 seconds if you're doing fast drills and the faster the wheels are spinning are the harder that is as you need to have a serious amount of torque and therefore battery life is going to suffer.

Also you won't get drop shots with 1800kv

The semi circle is sound with the pull down feeder (and no problems with sticky shuttles which was a major baddy design flaw) but theres an issue I can see with the vertical movement approach and that feeder design is going to place limitations on what you can do. I'll pm you later

#65 UkPlayer, Aug 20, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
    hurricane478 likes this.
  6. hurricane478

hurricane478 New Member

Hi there, thanks for that. What do you mean I couldn't get drops on 1800kv, I have not worked with this type of motor before and I assumed I can make them spin as slow as I want. Is there a minimum speed for brushless motors? I have an RC plane with a 1400kv motor and it can spin very slow. (I also do not know if you edited the part out about the drop shot motor speed as it appears badminton central has a bug, on my quote of your message it displays it and on the main thread it does not).

The max shuttle speed is something I do need to think about, I did want to do some smash defence style training with it and I chose this speed for that purpose. I did think about adding weights to the wheels so that they have a bit more inertia so that they lose less speed while the shuttle is between them. I also don't plan on stopping the motors between shots, I thought this would save battery but I'm honestly not too concerned about battery life as I have a big battery.

As for the pins, I am using a modified Arduino Uno R3 that has a WiFi chip and it has 12 usable GPIOs (6 of which are PWM) and I need 11 pins (4 of which need to be PWM) so all good in that respect.

I am interested in your PM, I have done many iterations of my shuttle reloader idea so I can't wait to see it all fold right in front of my eyes :D.

7. hurricane478

hurricane478 New Member

Would increasing the diameter of the wheels effectively increase max shuttle speed as there would be more contact time between the wheels and the shuttle.

8. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I didn't find a huge amount of difference because unless you go significantly larger the extra contact time is minimal. I was more focused on the material of the wheel which I think actually counts more. e.g, do you use silicon rubber (which doesn't have as great a traction as other rubbers), foam has elasticity which will hold on that shuttle and release it, so I'm currently trying different thicknesses of eva. I'm not quite there with that one yet.

9. LoaS

LoaS Regular Member

akatsuki2104 and s_mair like this.