News About Malaysia Preparations For Asian Games

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2010 - Badminton' started by danielwong, Nov 8, 2010.

1. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    Ok, since there are tons of news everyday about Mas players for AG and in order to
    put into one thread, lets share it here...
    bear in mind this is not a thread to talk big or "jinx" our players...just share the news from whatever source you can get and some "civil" comment....BOLEH...

2. danielwong

Salesman
    and yes, remember to quote source....

3. danielwong

Salesman
    Tuesday November 9, 2010

The Star
    Mak-Tan must beat Japanese duo before thinking of Markis-Hendra

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: Asian Games-bound Mak Hee Chun-Tan Wee Kiong should not get too excited over Indonesian shuttlers Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan’s run of poor form.
    In the French Open, which ended on Sunday, former Olympic and world champions Markis-Hendra went down to Germans Ingo Kindervater-Johannes Schottler in the semi-finals.
    A week earlier, they also crashed out in the final of the Denmark Open to homesters Mathias Boe-Carsten Mogensen.
    In fact, world No. 3 Markis-Hendra have not won any Super Series titles since breaking away from the national team this year.
    In the Guangzhou Asiad, Hee Chun-Wee Kiong are in the same quarter with second seeds Markis-Hendra.
    The Malaysians will play Japan’s Hiroyuki Endo-Kenichi Hayakawa in the opening round while Markis-Hendra have a first-round bye.
    The Malaysians will face the Indonesians in the second round if they get past the Japanese pair.
    National back-up coach Tan Kim Her said Hee Chun-Wee Kiong should be more focused on playing against the Japanese in the opening round.
    “Yes, Markis-Hendra have been quite shaky of late. But they are not our main concern right now,” said Kim Her.
    “It is the Japanese that we need to be wary of. The first match will make or break our back-up pairs. Our focus now is to take down the Japanese first.”
    Kim Her said that Japan had enjoyed some good moments against Malaysian players this year.
    The most painful loss for the Malaysians at the hands of the Japanese this year came during the group tie of the Thomas Cup Finals in May.
    “Our youngsters, Hee Chun and Wee Kiong, have had their fair share of ups and downs against Japanese scratch pairs.
    Hopefully, they will be able to clear their opening hurdle in the Asiad although they will be meeting Hiroyuki-Kenichi for the first time,” said Kim Her.
    This year, the Malaysians defeated Hiroyuki-Yoshiteru Hirobe in the second round of the German Open and Kenichi-Kenta Kazuno in the second round of the Asian Badminton Championships (ABC) in India.
    Hee Chun-Wee Kiong, however, lost to another combination – Yoshiteru-Kenta – in the second round of the Macau Open before exacting revenge in the second round of the Japan Open.
    Prior to the individual events, Hee Chun-Wee Kiong will feature in the team event with Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong in Guangzhou.

my comment:
    wise word and reminder from Tan Kim Her...

4. danielwong

Salesman
    Tuesday November 9, 2010

The Star
    Daren vows to deliver if called upon to play third singles

KUALA LUMPUR: National men’s singles back-up shuttler Liew Daren will be leaving for Guangzhou today with one mission – to rise to the occasion if called upon to play third singles in the team event.
    The 23-year-old Daren is determined to get into the mix after failing to get a chance to prove himself in the team event at the Laos SEA Games last year.
    “This will be my second team event in a big tournament. I did not get to play at the Laos Games,” said Daren.
    “I was the third singles then. But Malaysia lost 1-3 to Indonesia in the final before my turn. I was not in good form then. In fact, I also lost in the opening round of the individual event.
    “It was not a memorable SEA Games debut for me.
    “This is my first Asian Games outing. I want to do well if I get to play as the third singles.”
    The other singles players in the team are world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei, Mohd Hafiz Hashim and Chan Kwong Beng. The doubles players are Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Mak Hee Chun-Tan Boon Heong and Chan Peng Soon.
    Daren, however, is more confident after reaching the semi-finals of the Indonesian Open Grand Prix and the second round of the Denmark Open.
    “It was good to beat some of the higher ranked players in these tournaments.
    “I am looking forward to gaining as much experience as I can at the Asiad,” he said.
    “I am still very motivated to become a good singles player. I believe I have narrowed the gap on Hafiz but I still have a long way to go before I can catch up with Chong Wei. I will continue to work on my game.”
    Malaysia, who are seeded second in the men’s team event, are tipped to face top seeds and defending champions China in the final.
    In the semi-finals, Malaysia are expected to take on fourth seeds South Korea while China are likely to meet third seeds Indonesia.
    The Malaysian shuttlers will be leaving for Guangzhou today. The team competition is from Nov 13-16, followed by the individual events.

my comment: hope time is by your side

5. danielwong

Salesman
    All eyes on Lin Dan

NST

2010/11/09

MALAYSIAN star shuttler Lee Chong Wei finds himself in the curious position of being badminton's world number one and yet not favourite to win gold at the Asian Games. That tag goes to the charismatic Lin Dan, touted by many as the best player ever but whose limited appearances in this year's Super Series means he is down in the world rankings.

The Chinese, who at 27 is a year younger than Chong Wei, is thought to be desperate to win in front of an adoring home crowd.

And yet as Chong Wei proved in September at the Japan Open, where he beat his arch-rival and Olympic champion to win the title, the Malaysian is more than capable of playing the party pooper in Guangzhou.

The light-footed Chong Wei appears resigned to facing his nemesis.

"I will probably meet Lin Dan again at the Asian Games and the win in Tokyo has given me a lot of confidence. I hope to work even harder to face the challenges against him again," he said recently.

Lin Dan and Chong Wei could hardly be more different, however.

While the Chinese superstar can be exuberant in victory but surly in defeat, Chong Wei is a more reserved character who has occasionally appeared to feel the burden of expectation at home weighing him down.

He once said in an interview that the mental side was the weakest part of his game.

And although he has dozens of titles to his name, he has come up short in the major tournaments, crashing to eventual champion, Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia, in the Asian Games semis four years ago in Doha.

He then lost heavily to Lin Dan in the final at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 and has never won the world championship.

Chong Wei's gliding movement and precision were not enough as he crashed out at the worlds in Paris in August at the quarter-finals stage to Indonesian veteran Taufik.

Malaysian national coach Misbun Sidek had said beforehand that his player "feels uneasy thinking about the world championships" and "needs to ease up a little".

Chong Wei has struggled with a back injury he sustained in Paris that one Malaysian badminton official suggested at one stage might stop the shuttler making it to Guangzhou and still requires treatment.

But he was again in devastating form at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, where he strolled to the gold medal against substandard opposition to set him up nicely for the Asian Games.

Raphael Sachetat, chief editor of the badzine website (www.badzine.net), said: "Lee Chong Wei can beat Lin Dan on a day when Lin Dan has not set his mind on the gold medal, like at the Japan Open.

"It was clearly not top of his list, but it will be very very difficult to beat Lin Dan in China."

Sachetat said Chong Wei needed to handle expectations back in Malaysia.

"His trouble is the pressure at big events," he said. "There is big pressure from the Malaysian media and coaches.

"He deserves to be number one because he's shown he's consistent, but in the big events, Lin Dan has more chance of winning." -- AFP

Read more: All eyes on Lin Dan http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/ovoihodsfi/Article#ixzz14kCXTExy

my comment: just read the review and dont comment...or else the debate will never end...peace...​

6. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I agree with TKH... our 2nd MD pair should focus on the Jap MD pair in the 1st round... i hope our 2nd MD pair will BOLEH against the Jap pair and give INA top MD pair is tough fight...

7. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Not just u la, all MAS supporters hope the same, I dont know about those fans.....!!

8. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I agree with TKH too, a very cautious man. All JPN pairs are around the same level but they can shock top pairs even though they are scratch pairs, so MHC/TWK has to watch out.

I don't know if you count me as a MAS supporter or a fan, but I believe both of them want their players to win, the only difference is one criticizes a lot and seem harsh to fans, while the fans seem to be just too soft on players to the supporters.

9. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

TKH is just being realistic, one step at a time.......

he knows better than any other of our here of what his students capable with....I agreed with his views.

10. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

This is a 50 satays bet between GeorgeLCW and jimbo... haha....

If MAS failed to win a GOLD in AG (badminton only), GeorgeLCW will buy 50 satays and treat Daniel and his badminton kaki...
    If MAS won 1 GOLD in AG (badminton only), jimbo will sponsor 50 satays and treat Daniel and his badminton kaki + GeorgeLCW...

BOLEH.... haha.....

11. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Why is only Daniel has those satay...........??

12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Read the thread title and first post la.. share news please..

13. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

dun scare leh... 50 satays only... sure LCW can BOLEH the GOLD... :)

14. danielwong

Salesman
    Wednesday November 10, 2010

The Star

Misbun, Rexy believe their charges will deliver

NATIONAL coaches Misbun Sidek and Rexy Mainaky wore big smiles upon their arrival in Guangzhou yesterday.
    And it was certainly not because of the warm welcome and excellent service provided by the hundreds of volunteers for the Asian Games here.
    Both high-profile coaches are quietly confident that their charges – world No. 1s Lee Chong Wei and Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong – will come good in the men’s singles and doubles events respectively.
    Misbun said that Chong Wei was all prepared to end the country’s 30-year drought in the men’s singles.
    “He is calm and collected despite the huge task ahead of him. It is not easy to be so relaxed after what he has had to go through,” said Misbun after arriving here yesterday.
    All-England champion Chong Wei is struggling to hit top form following a series of injuries.
    His hopes of winning the world title went up in smoke after he lost to Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia in the quarter-finals due to a back injury.
    And then, after sensationally defending his title at the New Delhi Commonwealth Games, Chong Wei had to take it easy because of a foot injury.
    “He has put in a lot of effort to get back into top form now. He is looking in better shape now,” said Misbun.
    “I believe he has a good chance (to win the gold medal in the Asian Games).
    “It is all about getting it right on match day. I feel good in my heart because I know he has worked very hard.”
    Top seed Chong Wei’s major stumbling block is his nemesis Lin Dan of China.
    Although they are both expected to clash in the final, Chong Wei would do well to cast a wary eye on another Chinese shuttler, Chen Jin, should they meet in the last four.
    Rexy, meanwhile, was also pleased with the aura of confidence exuded by Kien Keat-Boon Heong, who did the country proud by winning a gold at the last Asiad in Doha.
    “I am happy to hear from my players that they are ready. Both of them expressed their hunger to win and I like this new attitude in them,” said Rexy.
    “Their preparations have been good.
    “It is more pleasing to know that they are feeling good about themselves. They are looking at winning their first major title this year and I hope they can pull it off.”
    Kien Keat-Boon Heong have been quite consistent in the second half of the year, having reached the final of the World Championships in Paris and the Japan Open.
    They lost to China’s Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng on both occasions.
    Kien Keat-Boon Heong will have South Korea’s Ko Sung-hyun-Yoo Yeon-seong and China’s Guo Zhengdong-Xu Chen for company in their half.
    It will be tougher for Cai Yun-Haifeng in the lower half of the draw as they have been lumped with South Koreans Lee Yong-dae-Jung Jae-sung and Indonesians Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan.
    All the shuttlers attended their first training session yesterday after checking into the impressive-looking Games Village.

my comment: right mentality is good :D

#14 danielwong, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  15. danielwong

Salesman
    Wednesday November 10, 2010

The Star
    Gutsy Lydia out to defy the odds in individual and team events

LANKY Malaysian shuttler Lydia Cheah knows it’s a tall order for her to come good in her first Asian Games outing.
    But, then again, this gutsy shuttler is made of sterner stuff and she is ready to defy the odds – in both the team and individual events – at the Asian Games in Guangzhou.
    The three-day team event will begin on Saturday, followed by the individual event from Nov 16-21.
    Lydia, who will be playing as the second singles, said she would consider it a success for the Malaysian women shuttlers if they could get the better of Hong Kong in the opening round.
    “We do not have a good draw. It will tough from the first round onwards. If we get past Hong Kong, it will be South Korea in the quarter-finals,” said Lydia.
    “For now, our mission is to pull the rug from under Hong Kong. They are the favourites but we are not ready to throw in the towel.”
    Besides Lydia and Wong Mew Choo, the others – Tee Jing Yi, Sannatasah Saniru, Woon Khe Wei-Marylen Ng Paou Leng, Vivian Hoo-Lim Yin Loo and Goh Liu Ying – are all Asiad debutants.
    Lydia will face an even more challenging task in the individual event as she in the same quarter as second seed Saina Nehwal of India and Hong Kong’s Yip Pui Yin.
    “I will be up against Thi Thang Vu of Vietnam in the first round. If I clear that hurdle, I will face Saina. I have never beaten the Indian shuttler. Hopefully, I will be able to give her a tougher fight this time,” said Lydia.
    “Overall, I hope this Asiad will be a good experience for me. I just want to go out there and enjoy the game.”

16. danielwong

Salesman

WORLD No 1 pair Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong arrived in Guangzhou yesterday with the hope of retaining their Asian Games gold medal.
    Kien Keat-Boon Heong rose to stardom when they won gold in the 2006 Doha edition despite it being only their second tournament as a pair.

Although the pair's performances have been topsy-turvy since early this year, national coach Rexy Mainaky believes the former All England champions will give their best in Guangzhou.

Their biggest obstacle will be China's three-time world champions Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng.

Rexy said Kien Keat-Boon Heong are more matured and experienced now to overcome obstacles in major tournaments, including the Asian Games.

"Kien Keat-Boon Heong now know how to withstand pressure unlike before. They have experienced difficult situations and it is no different now," said Rexy.

"Previously, they used to tense up whenever facing high ranking opponents.

But now, they can handle on court pressure with ease. It is something I've noticed since the Paris World Championships in August."

In Paris, Kien Keat-Boon Heong, who won the Malaysia Open early this year, were beaten by Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng in three games.

Rexy also hopes the pair will carry on with their winning mentality which earned them gold medals at the recent New Delhi Commonwealth Games.

"Kien Keat, I feel, is on fire after becoming the first Asian to earn three Commonwealth Games gold medals in Delhi. It is also important that they keep their focus on court in Guangzhou," he said.

The national badminton team, led by World No 1 Lee Chong Wei, together with 18 others, arrived in Guangzhou yesterday.

Rexy said the shuttlers need to enjoy themselves on court to ensure success in the Asian Games. "Our players cannot be tense at all times. They must relax and enjoy themselves," he added.

NST, 10 Nov 2010

my comment: love the bolded part :D

17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Don't too over enjoy themselves there..;)

They must also have a keep fighting for glory attitude and don't give up so easily.

and Nothing is impossible.

18. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes, need to have a balance in enjoying themself and the right mentality to fight for glory.

They have to believe that ' impossible is nothing'.........:D

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    just read the sinchew today
    hmm
    looks like they put the attention on men team final and md
    how about ms?

20. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    tough one. expect less and hope for the best. ;)